Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pet Food Massive Recall (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981)

sbl_admin 03-19-2007 04:46 PM

Pet Food Massive Recall

Menu Foods is recalling more than 60 million cans and packages of cat and dog food.

AnimeSpirit 03-19-2007 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a good thing I rarely buy the canned or pouch cat food. I normally buy Deli Cat that comes in a plastic jug.

By the way, this is my baby! :D Her name is Uriko. She is a black and gray tiger-stripe tabby of about a year and a half old.

Attachment 151

sbl_admin 03-25-2007 12:11 PM

Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

ABC NEWS -- Mar 25 2007 12:11 PM
Pet Food Maker to Take Financial Responsibility for Pet Deaths From Poisoning

Texasbelle 03-26-2007 07:54 AM

It's good to hear they are going to do that BUT what value do you put on your pet's life? I absolutely worship the ground that Christian, Chanel, and Rosie walk on. How would you pay me for losing them? I will be curious to see how this all works its way out.

Christian and Chanel= Yorkies
Rosie= Kuvasz (who will eat your leg off!)

My children always tell me that when they die they want to come back as one of my dogs so they can have the good life!

Isaac-Saxxon 03-26-2007 08:31 AM

Do you treat you dogs better than your children

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
It's good to hear they are going to do that BUT what value do you put on your pet's life? I absolutely worship the ground that Christian, Chanel, and Rosie walk on. How would you pay me for losing them? I will be curious to see how this all works its way out.

Christian and Chanel= Yorkies
Rosie= Kuvasz (who will eat your leg off!)

My children always tell me that when they die they want to come back as one of my dogs so they can have the good life!

That sounds like something a PETA person would do. I know my sister in-law does that very thing. Rosie the Kuvasz would only bite your leg off if you had a dog biscuit in your hand :laugh: :laugh:
Isaac

LateNight 03-26-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

LOL, I've said it for years.. I want to come back as MY dog. For any dog I've ever had, has been spoiled rotten :)

LateNight 03-26-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Do you treat you dogs better than your children

Oh Absofreakin'lutely. :yes:

AnimeSpirit 03-26-2007 09:20 AM

I don't have any kids yet, so Uriko is my only baby. She kneads my shoulder everynight while I'm in bed (no cramps here! :D). If I let her, she'd knead it until it was sore.

LateNight 03-31-2007 01:46 PM

More Pet Food Brands being recalled

This story doesn't seem to be getting any better.

List of recalled pet foods grows longer

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recall of contaminated pet foods expanded Saturday to include a new brand, even as investigators puzzled over how a chemical called melamine would kill dogs and cats.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.

Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China. (Read details of Purina recall)
Quote:

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company today announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall - including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.

sbl_admin 04-02-2007 10:25 AM

Updated News Story

ABC NEWS -- Apr 2 2007 10:25 AM
Cats Fare Worse in Food Contamination

sbl_admin 04-02-2007 11:27 AM

Updated News Story

KTAL -- Apr 2 2007 11:27 AM
More Pet Food Recalled

sbl_admin 04-05-2007 12:07 PM

Updated News Story

KSLA -- Apr 5 2007 12:07 PM
Cooking Pet Food: What You Should Know

LateNight 04-05-2007 09:13 PM

More pet food being recalled.. YET AGAIN

I swear, I don't what I'd do, if I found out I poisoned my dog because of some bad pet food.. Damn..

FDA: Pet chews could be contaminated with salmonella

Story Highlights
Quote:

• FDA found salmonella in pet chew made by T.W. Enterprises
• Salmonella can cause infections in dogs, cats and people
• Pet chew contamination not related to nationwide recall tied to toxic wheat gluten
Quote:

Pet owners need to avoid certain pet chews because they could be contaminated with salmonella, the Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday.

The contaminated product -- American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews -- was manufactured by T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, Washington.

Consumers who have purchased the treats should "dispose of them in a safe manner (e.g., in a securely covered trash receptacle)," the FDA said in a written statement. (FDA statementexternal link)

Thursday's warning comes after the FDA tested packages of three different sizes of beef treats made by T.W. Enterprises and found salmonella in one of them.

Salmonella can cause infections in dogs, cats and people, and the bacteria can be transferred to people who handle the treats, especially if they do not wash their hands after handling the product, the FDA said.

Pocahontas 04-05-2007 11:03 PM

Scary to think about losing your pet

I love my 4 dogs like my own children. Those poor pet owners who have lost their dogs to feeding them poisoned food! I can't imagine! It's about as bad as everyone feeding their kids tainted peanut butter! What's going on in our food processing and packaging plants???

LateNight 04-11-2007 09:52 AM

Pet food recall EXPANDED

Pet food recall expanded to include Canada-made products.

Quote:

•Canada factory found to have used tainted ingredient
•Company "completely shocked" that tainted ingredient went to Canada
•Large veterinary chain sees 30 percent increase in kidney failure

Quote:

"After being repeatedly reassured by Menu Foods, as reinforced by FDA public statements, that none of the contaminated wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, we were completely shocked to learn yesterday that this was not the case," Xavier Unkovic, Royal Canin Canada's chief executive officer, said in a statement.
Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet food and treats made with the tainted Chinese wheat gluten. It alone has recalled 100 brands of pet foods, sold throughout North America under its private and major labels. It posted Tuesday an updated list of recalled products on its Web site, http://menufoods.com/recall/.

There's going to be a lot of sick cats and dogs out there before this is all over with. :(

Texasbelle 04-11-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
Pet food recall expanded to include Canada-made products.

There's going to be a lot of sick cats and dogs out there before this is all over with. :(

The dog trainer we use for Rosie feeds her dogs a "raw food diet" which consists of raw chickens mainly. She says since this food thing happened she has never been so glad to be feeding her dogs that. And get this..she has Leonburgers, four of them. Sherman, her largest weighs about 150 lbs. Imagine feeding that!

Brutus 04-11-2007 10:24 PM

This is a job for Homeland Security

Now you must look at this as how easy it would be for China to kill the world. It was contaminated food products from China that end up in our pet food. This is not the first time this has happened. A few years ago China was also found to be dumping contaminated seafood into Louisiana. Thanks to BOB ODOM, I feel I must capitalize his name do to his rank in Louisiana, and the department of Agriculture for watching our food supply chain.

Isabella 04-11-2007 10:32 PM

There is no reason we should buy food or ingredients for foods from China or any other foreign country and this includes food for our pets. I bet it does not say on the dogfood label the ingredients came from China.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-12-2007 02:05 AM

Welcome aboard Brutus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus
Now you must look at this as how easy it would be for China to kill the world. It was contaminated food products from China that end up in our pet food. This is not the first time this has happened. A few years ago China was also found to be dumping contaminated seafood into Louisiana. Thanks to BOB ODOM, I feel I must capitalize his name do to his rank in Louisiana, and the department of Agriculture for watching our food supply chain.

So glad to see a new member. You sound well informed on this and good for us and BOB ODOM for keeping eyes wide open. I hope you will post in the future and welcome to the board.
Isaac

LateNight 04-12-2007 09:45 AM

Yea, I don't know what the deal is with this contaminated "Wheat gluton" I think they call it ? That came from China.. what, we dont' have enough Wheat farmers in the U.S. ? And WTF, do we have Crawfish from china and the like in the local grocery store ??????

It's sacrilege I tell ya !

Homegrown's
all right with me.
Homegrown
is the way it should be.
Homegrown
is a good thing.

:flag:

rhertz 04-12-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
Yea, I don't know what the deal is with this contaminated "Wheat gluton" I think they call it ? That came from China.. what, we dont' have enough Wheat farmers in the U.S. ? And WTF, do we have Crawfish from china and the like in the local grocery store ??????

It's sacrilege I tell ya !

Homegrown's
all right with me.
Homegrown
is the way it should be.
Homegrown
is a good thing.

:flag:

Don't forget homegrown tomatoes! There is no comparison to those enemic storebought counterparts. I doubt they are from china though.

Texasbelle 04-12-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Don't forget homegrown tomatoes! There is no comparison to those enemic storebought counterparts. I doubt they are from china though.

Yummy! Can't wait to have some home grown tomatoes this summer!!!!:p

Isaac-Saxxon 04-12-2007 05:28 PM

Do any of you have current garden photos ?

Quote:

Yummy! Can't wait to have some home grown tomatoes this summer!!!!:p

I will shoot some of my little garden tomorrow and post.
Isaac

refugen3 04-12-2007 06:35 PM

Gardens and pets

I have a garden. I need to weed my garden:D (no pictures though)
That's a place I like to be. My animals enjoy it as much as I. My lab, Shotzie surprised us last year by taking off with all our watermelons!! She is very adventurous in her garden eating habits. My cats like to play with my feet while I weed and my chickens ( 9 plus the rooster) love to eat the bugs. :) Imagine that.
Perhaps I should simply feed the dogs and cats chicken, rice and vegies.......
I wonder if my chickens would like that?
No, seriously I think I'll research & see what pet food co. are completely American based. We farm hay - but I can't feed 'em that :nono:

Isaac-Saxxon 04-12-2007 08:45 PM

You sound like a earth mother refugen3

Quote:

Originally Posted by refugen3
I have a garden. I need to weed my garden:D (no pictures though)
That's a place I like to be. My animals enjoy it as much as I. My lab, Shotzie surprised us last year by taking off with all our watermelons!! She is very adventurous in her garden eating habits. My cats like to play with my feet while I weed and my chickens ( 9 plus the rooster) love to eat the bugs. :) Imagine that.
Perhaps I should simply feed the dogs and cats chicken, rice and vegies.......
I wonder if my chickens would like that?
No, seriously I think I'll research & see what pet food co. are completely American based. We farm hay - but I can't feed 'em that :nono:

I love my garden and wish I lived where I could have some yard birds and dogs got plenty of those. Cats would be good if I lived out in the country I worked on a dairy farm in college and love the earth myself. One other earthy thing I love to shoot whitetail deer. :eek: I do think they are pretty. Back to thread I use Natural Balance it cost a bit much but is great food. I like your post and yet another welcome to the board. Please tell me what refugen3 is or just a hint anyway.
Isaac

Texasbelle 04-12-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

I love my garden and wish I lived where I could have some yard birds and dogs got plenty of those. Cats would be good if I lived out in the country I worked on a dairy farm in college and love the earth myself. One other earthy thing I love to shoot whitetail deer. :eek: I do think they are pretty. Back to thread I use Natural Balance it cost a bit much but is great food. I like your post and yet another welcome to the board. Please tell me what refugen3 is or just a hint anyway.
Isaac

How would Mrs. Isaac feel about living in the country?

We live out in the country and love it!!!!We've already discussed the swimming pool benefits of living out here, we also can have horses which we do, grow all the vegetables we want, and we are not cramped by neighbors. I could go on for days about the benefits. I highly recommend the country life.

rhertz 04-12-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

The dog trainer we use for Rosie feeds her dogs a "raw food diet" which consists of raw chickens mainly. She says since this food thing happened she has never been so glad to be feeding her dogs that. And get this..she has Leonburgers, four of them. Sherman, her largest weighs about 150 lbs. Imagine feeding that!

I was just catching up on my reading here. did you say "raw chicken"?? I must have missed that the first time. What about bad bacteria and food born disease with chicken? Heh, don't get me wrong. I loves me some raw fish. Maybe even Kobe beef if I ever had the chance. (haven't so far) But raw chicken? that sounds as bad as raw pork. How do you spell Tricanosys and Ecoli, and all those latin words?? But you know what I mean... I'm sure this trainer knows more than I do, don't get me wrong. That's why I'm asking..

Texasbelle 04-12-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I was just catching up on my reading here. did you say "raw chicken"?? I must have missed that the first time. What about bad bacteria and food born disease with chicken? Heh, don't get me wrong. I loves me some raw fish. Maybe even Kobe beef if I ever had the chance. (haven't so far) But raw chicken? that sounds as bad as raw pork. How do you spell Tricanosys and Ecoli, and all those latin words?? But you know what I mean... I'm sure this trainer knows more than I do, don't get me wrong. That's why I'm asking..

I quizzed her heavily on the issue of the chance of salmonella, etc. She has never had one of her dogs get sick from a bacteria. She is very clean with the chicken. She takes great care to wash up very well behind in the kitchen after preparing their meals. I think she's got it down to a science. She's been doing it for many years so there is a lot of experience as well. This lady is so great with training the dogs, working with the dog according to their breed and breed traits, and knowing how to care for dogs. We've learned a wealth of information from her.

refugen3 04-14-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Isaac

:) just take out the n, change to in and :think:
Weren't you the one who mentioned mind games?
I shouldn't give myself away too quickly now......

PS: I sure have gutted and quartered my share of deer. They make for some good eatin', ( battered and fried is my favorite ) I just can't bring myself to shot 'em.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-14-2007 12:51 PM

Howdy friend ! You sure enough right about the mind game

Quote:

:) just take out the n, change to in and :think:
Weren't you the one who mentioned mind games?
I shouldn't give myself away too quickly now......

PS: I sure have gutted and quartered my share of deer. They make for some good eatin', ( battered and fried is my favorite ) I just can't bring myself to shot 'em.

I love to eat them too. So here is the deal I will kill them you deep fry them and we will eat them. I love to hunt but with a house full of girls not one of them cares to see my truck backed in with that red trail running down the drive way :eek: :eek: I will be reading your post there refugen3 and I have a idea but I will hold my thoughts for now ;)
Isaac

rhertz 04-14-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

My lab, Shotzie

I once had a dashound growing up named Shotzie, daughter of Hot Dog.

LateNight 04-17-2007 10:53 AM

Natural Balance recalls venison dog, cata foods

man, it just keeps on comin' don't it.. I keep waiting for them to turn around and list my Taz's favorite dog food.. Anyways, here the latest:

Natural Balance recalls venison dog, cat foods.

Story Highlights:
Quote:

• Natural Balance recalls types of dog, cat food
• Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food , Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food recalled
• Last month, Menu food recalled 60,000 cans of pet food
• Large veterinary chain sees 30 percent increase in kidney failure
Quote:

Natural Balance Pet Foods recalled two kinds of pet food after receiving reports of animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday.

The recall includes all date codes of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

The company does not know the cause of the problem, but said it is focused on one particular lot.

Natural Balance Pet Foods is working with the FDA to investigate the matter and is urging consumers to not feed either pet food product to their animals.

Last month, Menu Foods recalled 60 million cans of dog and cat food after the deaths of 16 pets, mostly cats, that ate its products.