Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Culture & Community (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Shreveport/Bossier History Threatened (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2971)

Jvanv 11-04-2007 05:14 PM

Shreveport/Bossier History Threatened

Okay, maybe that was a little harsh. I am working on a film project revolving around events in Shreveport's history. Many of these events have not been recorded in either texts or on film and need to be. SO, if you have a story to tell about Shreveport's past, I'd like you to tell it here. I will be collecting these over the next few months for inclusion in a docu-drama. Here are some specific incidents that I'm interested in just to get you going, but go ahead and tell me your recollections whether or not the subject is included in the list. Let's face it, I don't know everything that has gone on in the area since the 1920s, just a few stories that I've heard. If you have any film footage or photos of any event I'd love to hear from you.

1920s - 30s era Clubs on Fanin St and the musicians that played them.

1930s the Woodlawn Club in Cedar Grove

1950s the Louisiana Hayride, KWKH Radio

1960s George D'artois stand off with the Caddo Sheriff's Department/State Police at a black high school

1960s the fish market and clubs under the Texas Street Bridge

1960s the Cave on the riverfront, Monseur's on Texas Street

1960s KEEL radio

1960s - 70s Paula Records - Frankie Vallie - Lakeside School of Music - The Progressive Men's Club

1970s mass-arrest of people in Columbia Park, the resulting protests, and/or the class action suit against the city of Shreveport that followed

1970s The Afro American Scene (a nightclub) - the Fleur de Lis

1970s D'artois standoff with police - trial - death and funeral

1970s The Other Voice - The Daily Planet - Thoughts

1970s integration of Bird High School

1970s Sun Ray and the first Hard Rock programming on radio in Shreveport

1970s Shreve Square

1988 riots in Cedar Grove

OR perhaps you have a story to tell about some of these people: Sam Bolin, Henry Walker, Mills McCauley, Al Childs, George Carlin, Webb Pierce, Elvis Presley, Robie Odom, Dan Garner, Danny Johnson, Jay Davis, Pat McCoy, Sherman Gorton, Robert Riser, Mike Love, Mike Stark, Johnny "Slim" Campbell, Dominique Cangalosi, Barry Shipp, Wendy Wingate, Mjr. John Hoppie, Don "Wild Bill" Brady, Bob Jones, Bill May, Chickie Johnson, Robbie Johnson, Lynn Hendrix, Dana and Greg Wicks, Jeffery Pomeroy, Diane Moore, Mr. John, Pat Goins, Geneva Wyatt, Hair Shapers, The Attic, Keith Cox, Ann Matkin, Johnny Winter and the Green Men, Terry Bradshaw, Joe McNeiley, Tim and David Demment, Tom Caperton, Jeff Dale, Lora Long, Nina Horton, Ginger Brazzell, Graham Rogers, Sandy Barke, Dennis Kronledge, Tag Graves, Richard and Robert Barham, Mike Todd, Dale Hawkins, Tommy Dorsey, Rudie Valle, David Baird, Stan Lewis, Phil Sage, Bobby Kolb, Danny Dotson, Mike Coker, Wade DeLaun, Allen Stein, Donna Fertitta, Larry Androse, Debbie Kincaid, Virginia Mizel, Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs, Bubble Puppy, Graveyard, Parker Turner

OR these places: The Train Station Downtown, The Bossier Strip, Kickapoo, The Stork Club, Shindig, Woodlawn Club, Rusty Nail, Saks Whisk-A-Go-Go, Blue Hole, Ford Park Zoo, Satori House, Shire House, Crossroads, Leatherhead, Byrd High School, Centenary College, Betty Virginia Park, Columbia Park, Highland Park, United Pentecostal Church of Bossier City, Plantation Park Elementary, Highland Terrace, Airline High School, Bossier High School, Schumpert 8th Floor, Ft. Humbug, The Municipal Auditorium, Stan's Record Shop, Illusions, The Other Who (a teen nightclub), The State Fair, White Leopard Kung Fu School

All comments are welcome. Have a person or place that you think should be included? Just go ahead and post your comments. There are lots of interesting stories out there and I'd like to hear yours.

rhertz 11-04-2007 05:49 PM

Wow this sounds like a great project. Good Luck with it and I'll try to dig up some info to help ya out.... I'll have to do a bit of research though.

LateNight 11-04-2007 07:24 PM

Yeah, good post.. see what old stories the 'old folks' can remember. :)

joepole 11-04-2007 10:29 PM

I was a student at Middle Magnet during the riots and my mom made me go to school the next day because the idiot school board didn't close it. I remember sitting on the floor of the bus and sleeping through two group classes (about 3 teachers and maybe 40 students showed up so we all sat in the cafeteria) before my friend's mom checked me out.

Jvanv 11-05-2007 09:10 AM

Riots - 1988?

So you are referring to the 1988 riots in Cedar Grove?

Was there any rioting near the school? Did you see or hear any of the rioters? Did you or your parents participate in any way? What was the mood in the school? Were teachers afraid? Did you have any worries about your safety?

===================================

I was at Byrd High School in the 70s when it was integrated and while there weren't riots students staged a walk-out, not exactly sure why. I use to have a photo of the students gathered around the entrance of the building and what looked like the entire Shreveport Police Dept. across the street waiting to see if there was going to be any violence. Eventually everyone went back to class and the police left, but the tensions in the school remained high. There were many incidents where a group of students (black or white) would corner someone of the other race alone in a bathroom and either harass them or beat them up. Eventually that all subsided also.

joepole 11-05-2007 02:16 PM

>Was there any rioting near the school?

Yes, right next to the school. Most took place a few block away, though, right next to Eden Gardens Elementary

>Did you see or hear any of the rioters?

No, they didn't occur during school hours

>Did you or your parents participate in any way?

I personally shot and killed four people. My mom was one of the crack dealers that was present at the start of the riot

>What was the mood in the school?

"Why the hell is the school open today?"

>Were teachers afraid?

The few that showed up were.

>Did you have any worries about your safety?

Yes, I rode on the floor of the bus.

rhertz 11-05-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvanv (Post 24166)
So you are referring to the 1988 riots in Cedar Grove?

Was there any rioting near the school? Did you see or hear any of the rioters? Did you or your parents participate in any way? What was the mood in the school? Were teachers afraid? Did you have any worries about your safety?

My sister and her husband live in Spring Lake. One rumor was that random drive-by shootings were to occur during those "riots" which made national news if I recall.. So their children slept in the back rooms on the floor far from windows in the front of the house. I didn't have any kids until later and lived across town so I didn't pay much attention to the Cedar Grove riots.

rhertz 11-05-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24174)
>Did you or your parents participate in any way?

I personally shot and killed four people. My mom was one of the crack dealers that was present at the start of the riot

LMAO, that was funny. We need a :sarcasm: tag on this site, not that joe would ever use one.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-05-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 24184)
LMAO, that was funny. We need a :sarcasm: tag on this site, not that joe would ever use one.

No sarcasm joe is the man :mad:

Jvanv 11-05-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24174)
>

I would laugh, but considering so of the stuff I've done in my life I think I'll pass :cool:

vixweb 11-05-2007 05:03 PM

I was a Junior @ Parkway during the riots, and 2 friends and I tried to go "check it out" during the night- but all we could see were cop cars everywhere.:(
The whole thing was BS anyway, very small in scale....I think the word of the day was: " HOT BISCUIT" :laugh::laugh:

j.nc 11-05-2007 11:00 PM

I graduated Byrd in 1975. I’m trying to remember if this was at Byrd or Broadmoor (or both) but does anyone recall how each course was "phased"? "Phases" was the term used - it was school or parish policy/dictate of some kind. So English - for example- had a phase 1, phase 2, phase 3, and phase 4. I don't recall the order of the phases but phase 4 would denote accelerated and phase 1 remedial (or the other way around). Phase 1 =below par, less educated for example. So there would be a phase 1-2 English class and then there would be a phase 3-4 English class. There may have been a class for each of the four phases, I don’t recall. The justification was that the lower phase would not drag down the learning of the higher phases since they would be in separate classes. The de facto result was sub integration more or less. The lower phases were usually black and lower class white. The upper phases were mostly white and some better educated black kids. I somehow took some elective that put me in a phase 1-2 class and it was a real eye-opener. I never felt unsafe or anything but welcome but the folks there made me realize what different worlds we occupied. Greasers like a throwback to the 50s, Black kids that didn’t seem to care or knew there was nothing for them in school; or some that were trying anyway and talked to me like I was Einstein. I never had the feeling of any kind of racial tension overall – maybe just oblivious.

[I hate talking in terms of Black/White but using it to try to define the experience] My first experience with a black teacher was 7th grade at Broadmoor for English. But we started getting graded tests back where the corrections were obviously wrong –basic correct grammar or correct words were labeled as wrong. There were other issues like that sometimes happening in class where it was obvious she was not qualified to be there and if we tried to appeal some obvious point she would get hostile. She would state something that we as 7th graders could not reconcile as correct usage. I can’t imagine the pressures on this young teacher – think about it. Something happened soon enough (parent intervention involved) and she was replaced (she was no longer at the school after that. No explanation, we just came to school one day and had a new teacher).

rhertz 11-05-2007 11:00 PM

>1960s the Cave on the riverfront, Monseur's on Texas Street

My mamma used to go to Monsieur’s to buy Oysters on the half shell for Oyster’s Rockafeller for her parties. I recall going downtown around 10 years old and watching the process. The dude behind the counter would put the oyster on a wavy piece of lead to hold it steady. LEAD? Yeah well, he would pry open the oyster and save the juice and set the beauty down on a tray. Not much too it…

>1960s KEEL radio

Dunno, but I’m pretty sure Tom Pace was there! ;) :duck:

>1970s mass-arrest of people in Columbia Park, the resulting protests, and/or the class action suit against the city of Shreveport that followed

Hmmm.. I think I remember that. Also during that time was a big bust of a massive field party at Wallace Lake Damn..

>1970s D'artois standoff with police - trial - death and funeral

I partied with D’Artois’ daughter in high school, but she wasn’t my girlfriend of anything… They lived in Spring Lake. Not much to tell..

>1970s Sun Ray and the first Hard Rock programming on radio in Shreveport

I really miss KROK… and also The Buzz decades later… ;)

>1970s Shreve Square

I should be an expert on Shreve Square but I can hardly remember those days… Sorry, the square consumed a lot of brain cells….

>Al Childs

Was one of the investors in building the original Shreve City as I recall..…

>Robie Odom, Dan Garner, Danny Johnson, Jay Davis, Pat McCoy, Sherman Gorton, Robert Riser, Mike Love, Mike Stark, Johnny "Slim" Campbell, Dominique Cangalosi, Barry Shipp, Wendy Wingate, Mjr. John Hoppie, Don "Wild Bill" Brady, Bob Jones, Bill May, Chickie Johnson, Robbie Johnson, Lynn Hendrix, Dana and Greg Wicks, Jeffery Pomeroy, Diane Moore, Mr. John, Pat Goins, Geneva Wyatt, Hair Shapers, The Attic, Keith Cox, Ann Matkin, Johnny Winter and the Green Men, Terry Bradshaw, Joe McNeiley, Tim and David Demment, Tom Caperton, Jeff Dale, Lora Long, Nina Horton, Ginger Brazzell, Graham Rogers, Sandy Barke, Dennis Kronledge, Tag Graves, Richard and Robert Barham, Mike Todd, Dale Hawkins, Tommy Dorsey, Rudie Valle, David Baird, Stan Lewis, Phil Sage, Bobby Kolb, Danny Dotson, Mike Coker, Wade DeLaun, Allen Stein, Donna Fertitta, Larry Androse, Debbie Kincaid, Virginia Mizel, Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs, Bubble Puppy, Graveyard, Parker Turner

Stan Lewis is one of the more notable in the list… but other names come to mind like Fertitta (Home of the Muffy). Larry Androse is a message therapist … but Bubble Puppy is new to me…

>, Kickapoo,

Sold to Craig Corrente who built a pet shop called “Tropical Paradise”.

Rusty Nail, Saks Whisk-A-Go-Go

Dang haven’t heard those names in years….

>Blue Hole

There was “blue hole” and “green hole” where we used to party on the last day of school…..I never went swimmin’ though… :D

>Crossroads..

I remember the “ghost tracks”…. (Mt Pleasant road?)

>Schumpert 8th Floor

Was that the mental ward? I thought that was the 11th floor

>The Municipal Auditorium

Saw Van Halen there. With David Lee Roth, not that other dude.. ;)

>Stan's Record Shop

Whoo boy I mowed many a lawn for that dude… ;)

>Have a person or place that you think should be included?

Abe’s Restaurant, Picadilly Italian Restaurant, Brocato’s Restaurant, Don’s Theater, Capri Theater, Broadmoore Theater, Bosco’s Hobby Shop, Shaky’s Pizza, Herby K’s, Officer Hagan, Don’s Restaurant, Cook’s Hobby, Naramore’s, Hearne’s, Rubenstein’s, Selbers, Lo-Mart,.. more l8r..

j.nc 11-05-2007 11:25 PM

1960s(70s) KEEL radio = Lovable Larry Ryan
rhertz: "1970s Shreve Square

I should be an expert on Shreve Square but I can hardly remember those days… Sorry, the square consumed a lot of brain cells…."

LMAO. yep... A-train and Killer Beez (sp?) at Humphries, Sportspage -precurser to sports bars with all the screens playing football games.
Rusty Nail = ( I have it in my head that this used to be "Tape City USA" where'd you'd get your 8-tracks); Trout fishing in America played there a lot.

“ghost tracks”…. did that once,

Stan's Record Shop. Stan and the history of the song "Susie Q"

in all.. listen to rhertz and joepoole and Isaac-Saxxon and a few others and u'll do good.

edit:

"Hair Shapers" -was that the place next to Byrd on Line Ave? There was a hair place next to Byrd - I think that was the first boutique hair cutting place in Shreveport. They retained a regular barber too - got my hair cut there for a while. It was close to the art gallery.

Leatherhead? There was this leather shop run by a hippie just off of...? Kings Highway near Centenary/Gilbert - somewhere around there. Just a small building kind of sat by itself. He made belts and other such leathercraft.

rhertz 11-06-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 24207)
Rusty Nail = ( I have it in my head that this used to be "Tape City USA" where'd you'd get your 8-tracks); Trout fishing in America played there a lot.

Yeah now I remember. I used to go into Tape City and pick out an 8track and they would dup it right there in front of you! That took balls. I think ASCAP/BMI authorities cracked down and/or shut down the place after a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 24207)
in all.. listen to rhertz and joepoole and Isaac-Saxxon and a few others and u'll do good.

LOL, now he's in trouble for sure... ;)