Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Presidential Candidate John McCain Does Not Support Abortion (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791)

sbl_admin 02-19-2007 07:55 AM

Presidential Candidate John McCain Does Not Support Abortion

"I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned," the Arizona senator told about 800 people in South Carolina, one of the early voting states.

joepole 02-19-2007 08:48 AM

As big an issue as abortion is, the President has almost no influence over it other than Supreme Court appointees.

AnimeSpirit 02-19-2007 08:59 AM

I'm sure that comment will win him some points with the voters though.

joepole 02-19-2007 09:36 AM

The race for President is a contest to see who can pander to the greatest number of stupid people.

AnimeSpirit 02-19-2007 09:58 AM

I get irritated listening to the promises and politics. Think of me what you will, but I don't vote, especially for the president. If I cared who was president, I probably would, but politics just isn't my thing.

Maybe if I had the time to actually research the issues myself, I'd care more about what the candidates have to say about them. I dunno. But anywho, I don't vote.

There are exceptions though. For example, if Congress offered a public ballot to decide when THEY get a raise, I'd certainly vote then. ;)

LateNight 02-19-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
The race for President is a contest to see who can pander to the greatest number of stupid people.

Yup. They'll shorten everything down to a few sound bytes that sound good.
Let the insanity begin.

:peace:

joepole 02-19-2007 11:20 AM

>if Congress offered a public ballot to decide when THEY get a raise

They do. No Congressional pay raises go into effect until after the next election.

They almost never vote to raise their salaries, though. When was the last time they did?

LateNight 02-19-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

>if Congress offered a public ballot to decide when THEY get a raise

They do. No Congressional pay raises go into effect until after the next election.

They almost never vote to raise their salaries, though. When was the last time they did?

Last time they did was last year, as they have done every year for nearly a decade.

joepole 02-19-2007 11:43 AM

No, they haven't. They get the same 2.5% annual cost of living adjustment that all Federal employees get. Actually, they get a little less than most because they aren't entitled to regional increases, as well. CPI inflation was 3.4% last year so they actually lost money.

The last time they voted themselves a raise was 1989.

Lions Welp 02-19-2007 11:46 AM

They need to work a full week

Quote:

No, they haven't. They get the same 2.5% annual cost of living adjustment that all Federal employees get. Actually, they get a little less than most because they aren't entitled to regional increases, as well. CPI inflation was 3.4% last year so they actually lost money.

The last time they voted themselves a raise was 1989.

I do not know about the raises that have or have not happened but these guys need to work a full work week before they ask for anything.

joepole 02-19-2007 11:47 AM

Congressmen work much more than 40 hours a week.

Lions Welp 02-19-2007 11:51 AM

Maybe I missed something here

Quote:

Congressmen work much more than 40 hours a week.

Something about the first 100 hours maybe the House instead but they could not get it done for all the four day weeks they had ? Sounds as if you are well versed here what do you think sir ?

Neo 02-19-2007 01:17 PM

Joepole maybe right. They probably spend 39 hours a week trying to keep their job and enjoying a multitude of perks, and 1 hour a week trying to actually work. Did Pelosi ever get her private nonstop flight home with friends included.

Isaac-Saxxon 02-19-2007 02:56 PM

Your right on this Joe

Quote:

As big an issue as abortion is, the President has almost no influence over it other than Supreme Court appointees.

The Supreme Court is where the battle is taking place. People on the other hand like to know where their president or president hopefuls stand on this and other issues before they vote so all the politicians have to run to middle or at least as close as they can. Sen. Clinton has been doing some changes on her platform this weekend funny how those stripes can change color.
Isaac-Saxxon