Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ron Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2978)

sbl_admin 11-06-2007 01:02 PM

Ron Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors.

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/ima...0ba2927ff5.jpg

Isaac-Saxxon 11-06-2007 01:06 PM

Ron Paul Sets Online Fundraising Record with $4.2 Million in One Day

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, fueled by an extraordinary Internet fundraising effort, hauled in more than $4.2 million in nearly 24 hours on Monday.

Paul, the Texas congressman with a libertarian tilt and an out-of-Iraq pitch, entered heady fundraising territory with a surge of Web-based giving tied to the commemoration of Guy Fawkes Day.

Fawkes was a British mercenary who failed in his attempt to kill King James I on Nov. 5, 1605. He also was the model for the protagonist in the movie "V for Vendetta." Paul backers motivated donors on the Internet with mashed-up clips of the film on the online video site YouTube as well as the Guy Fawkes Day refrain: "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308404,00.html

Isaac-Saxxon 11-06-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin (Post 24215)
Presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors.

Fawkes was a British mercenary who failed in his attempt to kill King James I on Nov. 5, 1605. He also was the model for the protagonist in the movie "V for Vendetta." Paul backers motivated donors on the Internet with mashed-up clips of the film on the online video site YouTube as well as the Guy Fawkes Day refrain: "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

Well now if Ron does not get elected he will have plenty of money left to retire on :D I watched V for Vendetta and there was very strange implications in that movie :rolleyes: Good post SBL ;)

purpahurl 11-06-2007 01:51 PM

How many Chinese dishwashers and cat/rat: cookers donated to this?:laugh:

LateNight 11-06-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 24223)
How many Chinese dishwashers and cat/rat: cookers donated to this?:laugh:

To date, Ron Paul has received more donations from members of of the U.S. Armed Services than any other candidate. (of course, that makes up a very small percentage of the complete totals of contributions he has received.)

Go figure.

joepole 11-06-2007 03:13 PM

#2 (by a small margin) is Obama, so what do they know?

LateNight 11-06-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24227)

I don't know.. was just saying :) like I say "go figure"

Al Swearengen 11-06-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24227)

I'll take this one. Ok, the stat LateNight posted namin Ron Paul the darlin of the military should be of concern to those of you who are still on the fence about Dr. Paul because of his plan to pull our forces from Iraq. Well, if he has the support of the majority of our troops, the actual people doin the fightin, shouldnt that be good enough for you? So then, what possible objection could any of you have to electin Paul for president? Just what is it precisely that you take issue with in regards to the good doctor's campaign platform?

Joe, since you've already admitted that Paul would make the best president on the other thread and dodged my question as to whether that admission means Paul can count on your vote, I'll ask ya again. What say ya?

vixweb 11-06-2007 06:40 PM

People who think we should "pull-out" of Iraq are simply not getting the Big Picture, just like the hippies in the 70's. The fact that a very few soldiers have this opinion is statistically not suprising to me. I would LOVE to see all of our troops home and world peace, but that is not the world we live in. I like some of what RonPaul has to say, but he is a loon- and wrong on this issue. But that is O.K. because most Americans understand the true nature of this war on terror and the part Iraq plays in it- Despite so much mis-information, America will prevail !:flag:

LateNight 11-06-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24243)
People who think we should "pull-out" of Iraq are simply not getting the Big Picture, just like the hippies in the 70's. The fact that a very few soldiers have this opinion is statistically not suprising to me. I would LOVE to see all of our troops home and world peace, but that is not the world we live in. I like some of what RonPaul has to say, but he is a loon- and wrong on this issue. But that is O.K. because most Americans understand the true nature of this war on terror and the part Iraq plays in it- Despite so much mis-information, America will prevail !:flag:

egad.. o.k. tell me, what's the BIG PICTURE that I'm not getting ?
unlike the 'hippies from the 70's I believe the folks who are against this war in Iraq, have many reasons for it.. the least of which, would be dead Iraqi civilians. our commander and chief declared mission accomplished years ago ... let's bring them home. Can't police the world (A long held Republican view point)

But I would like to be educated, and told what it is I'm "not getting" about the Iraq war ? Also I'd like to know what issues of his you disagree with, you'd call him a "loon" ? I know "going back to the Gold Standard" sounds extreme.. but regardless of how you feel about that.. somebody somewhere has to start talking about some fiscal responsibility.

Al Swearengen 11-06-2007 07:52 PM

Oh, we definitly get it, and we dont like it one bit. We get that the party hacks on both sides of the aisle have been growin the government, creatin a plutocracy by the systematic destruction of the middle class, erodin personal freedoms, bankruptin Social Security, printin increasingly worthless money, leavin our borders undefended and neglectin the illegal alien problem, actin as a global police force and pavin the way for the dissolution of our sovereignty to create the North American Union. That's the status quo...happy? Yeah, we get it alright, and we're goddamn well sick to death of it.

I challenge ya to cite just one example to support your characterization of Dr. Paul as a loon. Lets hear it. Enlighten us.

rhertz 11-06-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 24246)
Oh, we definitly get it, and we dont like it one bit. We get that the party hacks on both sides of the aisle have been growin the government, creatin a plutocracy by the systematic destruction of the middle class, erodin personal freedoms, bankruptin Social Security, printin increasingly worthless money, leavin our borders undefended and neglectin the illegal alien problem, actin as a global police force and pavin the way for the dissolution of our sovereignty to create the North American Union. That's the status quo...happy? Yeah, we get it alright, and we're goddamn well sick to death of it.

Wow, you packed quite a post there Al. You are hitting many buttons. I may even vote for Ron Paul if you keep getting me all excited. :)

I wish that one person could make a real difference, downsize government, foster the middle class, protect personal freedoms, rejuvinate social security (or just kill it), strengthen the dollar, defend our borders.. I stumble at the global police force which I partially agree with. But do you think any of this is a possibility? I guess I'm just a cynical and jaded old guy who is just plain negative. I just hope it ain't raining the day we get out to vote. :D

Isaac-Saxxon 11-07-2007 09:37 AM

The Ron Paul Threat?

The Editorial Page of THEDEADPELICAN.COM

http://www.rogersrants.com/blog/

LateNight 11-08-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin (Post 24215)

Ron Paul Wins Straw Vote in New York

Ron Paul Wins! That’s the headline today after the first New York State Republican Straw Poll. Clearly, after raking in a record amount of money the other day, Mr. Paul is on a roll. He seems to have out-organized his fellow Republicans — on Rudolph W. Giuliani’s home turf.

The New York State straw poll was conducted Tuesday at the Metropolitan Republican Club in New York City.

How 'bout them apples ! :eek:

I realize those 'Straw' polls don't mean a heck of a lot. But I believe he's won a few of them.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-08-2007 06:41 AM

Doctor Ron Paul :rolleyes: Dr. Howard Dean :eek: Doctors never have been good a business or investment and many are not even good a being doctors.