Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Failures of the Bush Administration (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204)

windshop 08-28-2006 09:31 AM

The Failures of the Bush Administration

President Bush, driven by his own ego and the demands of the conservatives that voted for him, has become one of the most inept leaders of our times. His lack of tolerance to religious beliefs other than his own and those of his backers has clouded his judgement in establishing foreign policies around the world but specifically the Middle East.

Perhaps, Mr President, we should observe that the pursuit and establishment of democracy at any cost does not provide the best way for people to exist in some places.

Perhaps we should look at the cost of our policies in human life and understand that good direction sometimes requires a change in course.

Perhaps we should see the humanitarian work that "our enemies" have done in the rest of the world for what it is and let it cause us to rethink what our policies should be.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-18-2006 04:11 PM

How we look on the world stage.

Showing weakness on the world stage or trying to buy friends will only
help there cause. Can you not see how these countries treat there people
like dogs. They hate the west and thru the same terror that they use on
there people they are waging on the free world and to some degree it is
working on people that don't have the heart to stand and fight there terror
plots. Bush might not be the best speaker but he has the will to stand his
ground and I hope he prevails just like the wall that would not come down
and DID ! Look at Spain and France no back bone and they live with terror
within there borders. Does anybody want that to happen in America ?
God Bless President George W. Bush
God Bless America

joepole 10-18-2006 04:38 PM

Their There

It's hard to take seriously anyone who repeatedly uses the word "there" as a possessive. You may make valid points, but the message is lost in the delivery. Ocassional typos are fine, but the above demonstrates a lack of ability and if show an inability to master simple rules of language, you cast doubt on your ability to apply reason in other situations.

It would be like if the President picked his nose during a speech, nobody would care what he said.

Al Swearengen 10-18-2006 06:33 PM

Their There

Yeah, I noticed it too...but he did make some valid points, as you said. Those kinds of typos don't bother me nearly as much as when someone just blatantly butchers the english language by saying something like "irregardless".

As to the topic of this thread, the United States must stop trying to make democracies out of these countries that are ruled by brutal regimes, communists, whatever. Reform should come from WITHIN these countries. If reform has not occured, its because the people in that nation have not reached the stage where they're ready for it. I've always been astounded at the ability of just one man or a small group of people to enslave and terrorize their own countrymen. Such things can never happen without the blessing of that nation's military, and any military's real power stems from the enlisted and junior officer ranks, which are composed of the average citizens. When the people have had enough, a coup takes place, sometimes with great loss of life, sometimes without a shot fired. And THAT is what will eventually happen in these countries. They have to want it for themselves, badly enough to risk bloodshed, badly enough to make that investment of blood equity. OUR fathers, the fathers of this great nation, understood this. Nobody ever respects anything thats been GIVEN to them, anything that they have not EARNED with their own "blood sweat and tears". We simply can no longer police the globe. Its just not worth the life of even one more of our precious sons or daughters.

In the words of Sam Kinnison "Its not our dance"!

Isabella 10-18-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Yeah, I noticed it too...but he did make some valid points, as you said. Those kinds of typos don't bother me nearly as much as when someone just blatantly butchers the english language by saying something like "irregardless".

As to the topic of this thread, the United States must stop trying to make democracies out of these countries that are ruled by brutal regimes, communists, whatever. Reform should come from WITHIN these countries. If reform has not occured, its because the people in that nation have not reached the stage where they're ready for it. I've always been astounded at the ability of just one man or a small group of people to enslave and terrorize their own countrymen. Such things can never happen without the blessing of that nation's military, and any military's real power stems from the enlisted and junior officer ranks, which are composed of the average citizens. When the people have had enough, a coup takes place, sometimes with great loss of life, sometimes without a shot fired. And THAT is what will eventually happen in these countries. They have to want it for themselves, badly enough to risk bloodshed, badly enough to make that investment of blood equity. OUR fathers, the fathers of this great nation, understood this. Nobody ever respects anything thats been GIVEN to them, anything that they have not EARNED with their own "blood sweat and tears". We simply can no longer police the globe. Its just not worth the life of even one more of our precious sons or daughters.

In the words of Sam Kinnison "Its not our dance"!

My sentiments, too! We have no business in Iraq, unless their planes came and bombed us. We know who did 9/11 and that is where we should be concentrating all our efforts. Obviously, Bin Laden is not in Iraq.

Rough Rider 10-19-2006 12:01 AM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more there AL. I don't think it matters one bit how long we stay there in Iraq. Once we leave, they'll settle it the way they settle everything over there.. just like you say.

I'm still tryin' to figure out what we're doing over there. I've heard of some of the arguments as to "why". But I just don't see anything good coming out of it.. EVER. Sure I hope I'm wrong. But I just don't see it that way.

rhertz 10-19-2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
It would be like if the President picked his nose during a speech, nobody would care what he said.

LMAO! too funny. But I will say that I enjoy both of your respective posts. Isaac takes some getting used to, but I'm warming up to him. His spelling is probably just a by-product of a lifelong Louisiana education. (ducking) Can't fault him for dat. So, Isaac, am I write? ;) Please let me guess. You're a Captain Shreve or Byrd graduate between 1975 and 1985? Nothing that a cut and paste from Microsoft Word spell checker won't fix. :D

rhertz 10-19-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

As to the topic of this thread, the United States must stop trying to make democracies out of these countries that are ruled by brutal regimes, communists, whatever. Reform should come from WITHIN these countries. If reform has not occured, its because the people in that nation have not reached the stage where they're ready for it.

Very well said Al. I'm not sure what is behind our tendency to become the "world police". I am guessing it is the tendency to protect our econmy and world markets. (especially oil market) Or perhaps "capitalism" in general. We cannot isolate ourselves in a world of "protectionism". Like it or not, the world depends on us and we depend on the world. It's called the "global economy", like it or not.

Quote:

I've always been astounded at the ability of just one man or a small group of people to enslave and terrorize their own countrymen.

Likewise I am often astounded at the ability of just one person to make a huge change in our lives. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman, Wernher von Braun and Albert Einstein, and many others too numerous to mention. But my favorite would be Nikola Tesla, father of things that Bell and Marconi are often credited for. ;) So the moral is all it takes is one good *or* bad apple....

Quote:

Such things can never happen without the blessing of that nation's military, and any military's real power stems from the enlisted and junior officer ranks, which are composed of the average citizens. When the people have had enough, a coup takes place, sometimes with great loss of life, sometimes without a shot fired. And THAT is what will eventually happen in these countries.

True but using Castro and Cuba as an example, sometimes extreme patience may be required. How many decades or lifetimes is worth the wait? Isn't there something we can do in the meantime but wait? Especially if they start messing with our economy? (Bin Ladin) or putting out a hit on our President? (Hussein)

Quote:

They have to want it for themselves, badly enough to risk bloodshed, badly enough to make that investment of blood equity.

And badly enough to admit their primary religion might need some "tweeking". I'm no Islamist scholar, and I have barely heard the word before 9/11, but one thing is clear, we are talking something WAY worse than rednecks here!!

Quote:

OUR fathers, the fathers of this great nation, understood this. Nobody ever respects anything thats been GIVEN to them, anything that they have not EARNED with their own "blood sweat and tears". We simply can no longer police the globe. Its just not worth the life of even one more of our precious sons or daughters.

Excellent post AL! But in there..err... I mean their defense, Iraqi's are dying in at least as large of numbers as Americans. I certainly wish both could be avoided. I'm sure there are dedicated and deserving Iraqis fighting the good fight, but I guess it comes down to "numbers".. Stats, polls, majorities.. As a whole, they just don't want it bad enough I guess.. This is hard for an American to understand since I hold my freedom and liberty so highly.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 07:03 AM

Thanks rhertz

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
LMAO! too funny. But I will say that I enjoy both of your respective posts. Isaac takes some getting used to, but I'm warming up to him. His spelling is probably just a by-product of a lifelong Louisiana education. (ducking) Can't fault him for dat. So, Isaac, am I write? ;) Please let me guess. You're a Captain Shreve or Byrd graduate between 1975 and 1985? Nothing that a cut and paste from Microsoft Word spell checker won't fix. :D

No need to defend my spelling or anything else. I do thank you for your
support. I do make a nice lighting rod for the bleeding hearts. I will stick
by what I have typed on this forum and find the personal insults a very
sad way of making a point. Maybe you should add spell check on this
forum so the folks that never make a mistake will be happy :-) By the way
there rhertz I am a LA Tech Graduate of 1983 with a major in journalism
and two minors in history and marketing. I am sure my education pales
compared to some of the other avatars. I have run my own business for
22 years and still going strong even with spelling problems and syntax
problems I have done quite well. The question the other day about which
way this forum is leaning well now is there any guessing now !
God Bless America !

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 07:14 AM

Spell check ?

Quote:

It's hard to take seriously anyone who repeatedly uses the word "there" as a possessive. You may make valid points, but the message is lost in the delivery. Ocassional typos are fine, but the above demonstrates a lack of ability and if show an inability to master simple rules of language, you cast doubt on your ability to apply reason in other situations.

Liberal Arts major ? Maybe stick to the subject and make a point about
something that matters ! I do respect others on this thread even
when I don't agree.

joepole 10-19-2006 09:11 AM

Major

No, I was a physics major.

I never said I disagree with you, only that no matter what your point it can be weakened by poor language skills.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 12:27 PM

Copy edit

Quote:

No, I was a physics major.

I never said I disagree with you, only that no matter what your point it can be weakened by poor language skills.

Copy edit was a key phrase in my major and I did fail to make the grade
on that post. In a computer world that does not use caps or any other punctuation about half the time I don't feel to bad and add in my typing with
that and your lucky you even read it ? I have done business with more than
a few physics majors and they are smart folks but there is a dimension that can be missed and that is the human dimension. The world would be lost with out you guys.

Bob 10-19-2006 02:16 PM

Granted, the Internet is just absolutely killing typing and writing skills on a global scale :) But there is something to be said for someone who can speak or write intelligently. I know I lack in both areas, but I certainly appreciate it when I see or hear it.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 06:20 PM

What was this thread about ?

I think it is about our fine President G.W. Bush ! Oh yes and the human factor that sometimes gets left out. Forest for the trees kind of thing.
I-S