Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Historic Photos (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Comments on: old coppertop (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3028)

sbl_admin 11-13-2007 06:35 AM

Comments on: old coppertop

Reader comments and feedback for the old coppertop photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/pho...1596f7a3_l.jpg

Pocahontas 11-13-2007 07:38 AM

Oh the fond memories of traveling over to Shreveport and the Hirsch and it's many firsts! My first rock concert, my first rodeo, my first circus, taking my children to the circus, the state fair....fun times!:)

guitarman 11-13-2007 09:14 AM

Many first at the old Copper Top :D Boston, Kansas, Garth, Eagles and many other events. Sesame Street live :nono: I think they could rename it Gangster Hall now :eek:

purpahurl 11-13-2007 09:18 AM

Boy I saw some good concerts in there. You damn sure couldn't hear them. The sound in there was horrible.

They sure could put on a rummage sale though.:laugh:

j.nc 11-13-2007 09:54 AM

Bachman Turner Overdrive - first on I saw there :peace:

My wife saw Elvis :lovely: there, she went with her Mom. They also went to see him off at the airport (the next day?) - Her Mom drove her and her little sister up to the front of the airport, dropped them off, and then went off to park and just sat in the car while they found thier way to the gate (outside) to watch him board. Think this was his 1975 tour.

purpahurl 11-13-2007 11:06 AM

Parker Coliseum

There is a sister building to the Hirsch in Baton Rouge. Parker Coliseum on the LSU campus. It's funny to look over and see this miniature Hirsch. I could not find a decent picture.

joepole 11-13-2007 11:20 AM

Aerial View

rhertz 11-13-2007 11:23 AM

I remember seeing some Centenary basketball games at the Hirsch as a kid. When I was about 12, I saw the Harlem Globetrotters live with Curley and Meadowlark. The Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey circus was cool. My first concert was Sonny and Cher, and my first concert with a date was the Doobie Brothers, second was Styx. Oh the memories. Nodding, acoustics were aweful in that place. Why did Shreveport let Bossier steal the show with the Centurytel arena? That would better serve us than the convention hall and hotel. I have yet to step foot in that place.

joepole 11-13-2007 11:34 AM

More up-to date (2006) aerial, but it looks pretty much the same.

rhertz 11-13-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24487)
More up-to date (2006) aerial, but it looks pretty much the same.

I always wondered why the copper roof looked blue instead of green. I've seen a lot of "green pennies" but never a "blue penny" that I recall....

Pocahontas 11-13-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 24486)
I remember seeing some Centenary basketball games at the Hirsch as a kid. When I was about 12, I saw the Harlem Globetrotters live with Curley and Meadowlark. The Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey circus was cool. My first concert was Sonny and Cher, and my first concert with a date was the Doobie Brothers, second was Styx. Oh the memories. Nodding, acoustics were aweful in that place. Why did Shreveport let Bossier steal the show with the Centurytel arena? That would better serve us than the convention hall and hotel. I have yet to step foot in that place.

Then you have truly missed out on some good concerts and an awesome facility! Good seating from all over, fairly good sound for an arena, clean, safe, non smoking and great location in a low crime part of town!:)

rhertz 11-13-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 24493)
Then you have truly missed out on some good concerts and an awesome facility! Good seating from all over, fairly good sound for an arena, clean, safe, non smoking and great location in a low crime part of town!:)

I haven't missed out, I go to Centurytel all the time. Go Mudbugs! I'm just rootin' for Shreveport. Why must Bossier kick our butts all the time?

Pocahontas 11-13-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 24506)
I haven't missed out, I go to Centurytel all the time. Go Mudbugs! I'm just rootin' for Shreveport. Why must Bossier kick our butts all the time?

Quote:

I have yet to step foot in that place.

Which is it ??

rhertz 11-13-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 24507)
I have yet to step foot in that place.

I was referring to the new convention center and hilton hotel. I haven't been inside it yet.

purpahurl 11-13-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Shreveport misses out because we're too concerned about racial issues and doing studies on cultural demographics and the black churches and who owns the propoerty that might make some money or more importantly who's not going to make money. Bossier decides on a project and they do it.

Shreveport has missed out on so much it's not even funny. It's obvious to anyone who pays attention. Bossier is ready to do business, Shreveport is ready to give somebody the business. Look at the Red River District. Nobody made it, the rent was so high and then the Homeboys started hanging out there nobody would come. Same can't be said for the River Walk.

That's always been the case. Hello Centurytell. That was the nail in the coffin for Shreveport entertainment and the Hirsch.

Pocahontas 11-14-2007 08:36 PM

Good point purpa, I would've never ever let my teenaged daughter and friends hang out in the Red River district!!! The LA Boardwalk has been a secure and great place for them to go to movies, eat and shop with friends plus they aren't subjected to saggy drawers!:D

rhertz 11-14-2007 10:09 PM

Pokey, I would never let my kids do the things that my parents never let me do, but I did those things anyway. You appear to be a great mom! I hope I fare as well as my children grow into adulthood.

Concerts at Municipal and Hirsh, arcades like Guys-and-Dolls and Hole-in-the-wall were pretty 'earthy' places back then...

j.nc 11-14-2007 11:16 PM

sounds like things have changed alot since back in the day. Any city has rough parts of town but Shreveport sounds frightening in some parts - from things garnered from various threads on this forum and listening to my Mom. So, what's the "Red River district"? Is it ol' Shreve Square?

LateNight 11-15-2007 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 24597)
sounds like things have changed alot since back in the day. Any city has rough parts of town but Shreveport sounds frightening in some parts - from things garnered from various threads on this forum and listening to my Mom. So, what's the "Red River district"? Is it ol' Shreve Square?

Uh... yeah, the Red River District is in the 'area' of the old Shreve Square.. but excuse me senator, the Red River District is no Shreve Square :)

if you're gonna go down town, best be packin', you're gonna get shot :eek:
LOL I sure do miss the Shreve Square.. of course I was much younger then.

salguodgrubmab 11-16-2007 07:04 AM

the place was magic. great photo. DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! hanging over the balcony railing looking down on the band. It was there, from that view that the realization that drummers are magicians. Two hands and two feet all doing different things in rhythm. Try patting your head and rubbing your belly. Got it , now reverse the motion, O.K. took a while but you got it. Now without losing time meter and the beat change to rubbing your head and patting your belly. Pretty hard huh. Now imagine doing that while both legs are doing opposing movements. That is jazz drumming. I think it was 1978 a live music club opened on Linwood where the inner-loop now intersects. The River City Music Hall. The old A&P store was converted into a huge venue. It was great, with some great shows but only lasted 'bout six months. If they would've opened it in the Square it would've been quite successful I believe. There was also a pretty cool joint in Motown for those in the other camp, the disco crowd. I can't remember the name of it after all these years. An entertainer name of E.C. perhaps. Great band. A friend of mine played guitar for him. They would do songs of that era Easy, Brickhouse. What was that band I keep thinking K.C. but I know it wasn't. Everyone derided Donny for selling out but of all my musician pals he was the only one who had coins in his jeans and green in his billfold. I was a stranger in a strange land in there man. There were chicks in there unlike Humps and the other clubs that had good live music at the square. Hey dude that fine chicks over there keeps eyeballing you, go ask her to dance. I..I don't..I say, I don't know how to dance. Man I'm telling you that you could score if you'd only get up off your dead ass and dance with her. Non disco dancers such as myself seldom "scored."

Isaac-Saxxon 11-16-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab (Post 24693)
the place was magic. great photo. DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! hanging over the balcony railing looking down on the band. It was there, from that view that the realization that drummers are magicians. Two hands and two feet all doing different things in rhythm. Try patting your head and rubbing your belly. Got it , now reverse the motion, O.K. took a while but you got it. Now without losing time meter and the beat change to rubbing your head and patting your belly. Pretty hard huh. Now imagine doing that while both legs are doing opposing movements. That is jazz drumming. I think it was 1978 a live music club opened on Linwood where the inner-loop now intersects. The River City Music Hall. The old A&P store was converted into a huge venue. It was great, with some great shows but only lasted 'bout six months. If they would've opened it in the Square it would've been quite successful I believe. There was also a pretty cool joint in Motown for those in the other camp, the disco crowd. I can't remember the name of it after all these years. An entertainer name of E.C. perhaps. Great band. A friend of mine played guitar for him. They would do songs of that era Easy, Brickhouse. What was that band I keep thinking K.C. but I know it wasn't. Everyone derided Donny for selling out but of all my musician pals he was the only one who had coins in his jeans and green in his billfold. I was a stranger in a strange land in there man. There were chicks in there unlike Humps and the other clubs that had good live music at the square. Hey dude that fine chicks over there keeps eyeballing you, go ask her to dance. I..I don't..I say, I don't know how to dance. Man I'm telling you that you could score if you'd only get up off your dead ass and dance with her. Non disco dancers such as myself seldom "scored."

DIXIE DREGS at sportspage! Yes I have been to that fire ;) I was at LA Tech and we would come over to the sportspage for music, darts and pool games and a few fights :rolleyes: good post Salbug !

Morpheus 11-16-2007 06:02 PM

My first concert was at the hirsch also. ZZ Top. Pink Floyd, Journey, Ozzy, Van Halen and many others followed. Certainly a huge difference from the smoke free Century Tel. I remember humphrees. It was one of only a few places I could get into as a mere 16 year old!

vixweb 11-17-2007 10:32 AM

My first concert was in the Hirsch- OZZY I think Feb. 1982....We were some of the last people that got to see Randy Roads play.:( My brother told my mom he was taking me to the skating rink, but instead took me to my first show @ the ripe old age of 11 !:peace:

Morpheus 11-17-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24786)
My first concert was in the Hirsch- OZZY I think Feb. 1982....We were some of the last people that got to see Randy Roads play.:( My brother told my mom he was taking me to the skating rink, but instead took me to my first show @ the ripe old age of 11 !:peace:

Hey, that makes us the same age!

Isaac-Saxxon 11-17-2007 05:23 PM

This might be just a bit to groovy but I like them then and now. This is the only youtube I could find I bet Pokie will like the photo show ;) I went to this concert in high school at the Coppertop.
Kansas: Cheyenne Anthem

I wonder if old KansasT likes Kansas :confused:

At this concert I lost my innocences big time ;) Summer of 78 :peace:

:cool::cool::cool:

rhertz 11-17-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 24815)
At this concert I lost my innocences big time ;) Summer of 78 :peace:

I'm a big Kansas fan. I've seen them 2 times in Shreveport and once in Anaheim at a private show. At one show in Shreveport, I remember that Steve Walsh had some fingers taped up. I guess he hurt his hand, but he just moved his remaining fingers that much faster and never missed a note on keyboards! Awesome show.

Phil Ehart, Kerry Livgren, Robby Steinhardt, Steve Walsh, and Rich Williams are icons in my book. Bands like Kansas and Yes have positive messages and were a positive influence on my life when some bands often have a negative message or just lyricize about chicks and partying...

vixweb 11-17-2007 07:28 PM

I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound, now I know its because they have, what 3 or 4 guitarists?? They also had a Giant pipe organ that took up the whole back of the stage- It sounded awesome! :peace:

kansast 11-17-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 24815)

LOL, as I've had to explain in many a message board over the years.. I'm no fan of the band Kansas, nor have I ever stepped foot in the state of Kansas.

Not that the band doesn't have some good songs.. and if I remember correctly, I did see the band once at the Copper Top back in the day. Although I do go to plenty of shows, that I WANT to see, back in the day, there were countless concerts I went to, where the music wasn't the driving force that made me go. It was the experience of taking those road trips with friends, and nights out on the town. (Texas Jam concerts for example) when I was all of 16 etc.

Kansast = Kansas Territory = my Great Grandfather on my father's side. (yes, his first and middle name.. strange)
He was born in Illinois I believe towards the end of the Civil war. Illinois sided with the Union in the Civil War, but my grandfather had a few older brothers who fought in the war, sided with the Confederates in Kentucky.

Now you know the rest of the story. :peace::cool: I got pretty wasted at the Kansas concert if I remember correctly. :rolleyes:

oh yeah.. and my first real "concert" was the Allman Brothers Band at the ol' Copper Top. Think I was 13 or 14..

LateNight 11-17-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24835)
I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound, now I know its because they have, what 3 or 4 guitarists?? They also had a Giant pipe organ that took up the whole back of the stage- It sounded awesome! :peace:

Would that have been at the Texas Jam concert.. at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX ?

I saw that show.. got to see Boston. Went to several of those Texas Jam concerts, saw all sorts of good music.. Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, and plenty of those heavy metal bands of the 80's that came and went. white snake, great white, Rat, etc.. At that partcular show where Boston headlined, we also saw

Isaac-Saxxon 11-17-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight (Post 24839)
Would that have been at the Texas Jam concert.. at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX ?

I saw that show.. got to see Boston. Went to several of those Texas Jam concerts, saw all sorts of good music.. Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, and plenty of those heavy metal bands of the 80's that came and went. white snake, great white, Rat, etc.. At that partcular show where Boston headlined, we also saw

That would be a great line up to see. Boston being the best. Hey Tbelle have you ever seen any of these bands ?????????????? :laugh::laugh:

vixweb 11-17-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight (Post 24839)

Man! What year was that?.......Texas Jam- too bad the kids these days don't get much stuff like that. Nowadays, concerts are so commercial, the shirts are $40.00 and the tickets are close to $100.00( for the good seats) I went to OZZ FEST last year @ the Starplex in Dallas and even the bottled water was $4.00:jawdrop:

LateNight 11-17-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24854)
Man! What year was that?.......Texas Jam- too bad the kids these days don't get much stuff like that. Nowadays, concerts are so commercial, the shirts are $40.00 and the tickets are close to $100.00( for the good seats) I went to OZZ FEST last year @ the Starplex in Dallas and even the bottled water was $4.00

that Boston show was in 1987. even back then, it cost a small fortune.. the slogan was like "Texas Jam - water $4.00"

I remember those Texas Jam shows being a whole lot of fun. Me and several friends would pile up in our cars and head to dallas. that 1987 show was the last one I went to. I guess it's my age.. but going to place like the cotton bowl has got to be the WORST place to see a show. For me, I wasn't going to the Texas Jam for the music so much as I was for the "event" so it was fun. Last time I went to show in an arena THAT BIG.. some 60,000 people I think, I saw the Rolling Stones (1994 I think) I saw women get crushed from the swarms of people moving about in that place.. and you can't freakin' see the band from anywhere in that place unless you want to get crushed on the floor up by the stage.

I don't mind going to see someone like Tom Petty at the Reunion Arena in Dallas or the Starplex, if I can get decent seats.. but give me a band in a small club ANY DAY!!

vixweb 11-17-2007 10:11 PM

Yeah, those BIG shows can test your patience for sure! The last show I went to in the cotton bowl was U2 with Rage against the machine- Elevation tour, I believe. I remember from the interstate, the screen was so big, it hung out over the sides of the bowl-:D Gotta love U2 !!!

purpahurl 11-17-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24835)

Boston didn't make their sound because of multiple guitars. They did like PINK FLOYD and tweeked their sound through electronics. They used a bunch of tube amps and some how palyed with it to get that classic Boston fuzz sound that no one has been able to replicate.

The pipe organ had something to do with their guitar sound. I think that is a trade secret.

I posted on the XM thread about no more killer guitar bands any more, this is certainly one of them.

vixweb 11-17-2007 10:17 PM

What do you mean "no more killer guitar bands"? What about bands like BlackLabelSociety (zakk Wylde) ?

purpahurl 11-17-2007 10:18 PM

Pink Floyd

By the way, Those of you that have seen PINK FLOYD, cosider yourself lucky. I have been fortunate enough to see them 3 times, and the last two were the best concerts ever in the history of the world!!!!

I know at least on person on this board will agree.

I did not go see another show for two years after PINK FLOYD because it would have been a let down. After a PINK FLOYD show nothing gets any better.

I like all kinds of music, but they take the cake!

j.nc 11-17-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 24862)
What do you mean "no more killer guitar bands"? What about bands like BlackLabelSociety (zakk Wylde) ?

Never heard of zakk until a few weeks ago when my boy picked his first electric guitar and it was the epiphone les paul bullseye zakk special. learn something new every day.

vixweb 11-17-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 24863)
By the way, Those of you that have seen PINK FLOYD, cosider yourself lucky. I have been fortunate enough to see them 3 times, and the last two were the best concerts ever in the history of the world!!!!

I know at least on person on this board will agree.

I did not go see another show for two years after PINK FLOYD because it would have been a let down. After a PINK FLOYD show nothing gets any better.

I like all kinds of music, but they take the cake!

I will agree on that! I've seen just about everyone live, its a hobby of mine, and Floyd takes the cake- hands down. The DIVISION BELL tour (Texas Stadium) was the best show I've ever seen!:bow::bow::bow::bow:

vixweb 11-17-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 24864)
Never heard of zakk until a few weeks ago when my boy picked his first electric guitar and it was the epiphone les paul bullseye zakk special. learn something new every day.

Wow- Zakk has been playing with OZZY for 15+ years, BLS is his solo project, and very good! Your kid has good taste in instruments, thats a VERY nice guitar!

LateNight 11-17-2007 10:28 PM

Pink Floyd.. I missed that boat apparently. nothing personal. They do some good guitar work no doubt. I remember back in Junior high.. everyone else was singing Another Brick in the Wall.. I was listening to the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, and several other bands that no one else cared to listen to :)