Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cell phone vs. land line? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236)

Mudbug 09-04-2006 11:15 PM

Cell phone vs. land line?

I'm encountering more and more people these days who are dropping their home phone service completely in favor of having a cell phone only. I've heard lots of different, and good, reasons for doing so - which do you use, and why?

If you're using a land line, please specify either from the phone company or cable company, and whether your number is listed in the phone book(s) or not.

LateNight 09-05-2006 12:03 AM

I thought about dropping the land line.. then I had to migrate from AT&T to Cingular and get a new phone.. and my service went to @#$@#. Switched to Verizon and that helped.. but neither Cingular or Verizon work reliably enough for me at HOME. Thought about trying out the Vonage deal ? I've been thinking about it.

Mudbug 09-05-2006 12:27 AM

since I'm moving all my services anyway due to the new house, we're switching over to the digital phone service from Time Warner (now Comcast). We'll see how that goes...

As for cell service, we're on Sprint, and that's a great network everywhere in Shreveport, except in my house, and the grocery store. It's just not good enough to take over for all phone service at this point.

Shreveopolis 09-05-2006 09:05 PM

Anyone using Vonage ?

not even sure if I spelled that right ? Vonage ? But was wondering if anyone was using that for their phone service AND using a Blanchard Cable modem service with it ?

scarlett 09-15-2006 04:02 PM

i have bell hell here fiance won't let me drop the house line. I'm sure we will eventually go to IP phones here he does this for a living it's to find the time to install at home. I have 4 ip phones but not using them yet.

I use my cell phone for most calls only give the people that are not important the home phone. I pay my bills on time really I just don't give them my cell phone only given to family and friends since it cuts into my minutes

rhertz 09-16-2006 01:01 PM

I've heard the press calling this "cutting the cord". I would not want to give up my landline for a cell phone only, however if I had Vonage and a cell phone, then why not? If by Internet goes out, or if the cell phone glitches, then I have a backup. There is little chance of both cell phone and broadband (dsl or cable) going out at the same time.

Tomoshibi 12-21-2006 11:26 PM

I don't really have a cell phone. However, I'm a DSL nut, so I'll never give up my phone line even if I did have a cell phone.

rhertz 12-22-2006 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoshibi
I don't really have a cell phone. However, I'm a DSL nut, so I'll never give up my phone line even if I did have a cell phone.

Well in all fairness, that is because you can't drop the phone line and keep DSL. Bell requires a landline in order to buy a DSL circuit. This is the type of thing we pay our PUC and PSC officials to protect. So Ironic. Robin Hood in reverse.