Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Favorite Author? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2927)

Morpheus 10-30-2007 02:46 PM

Favorite Author?

I used to read quite a bit, but haven't recently. I used to like Stephen King, and some Dale Brown and Tom Clancy. So I like the thrillers and techno thrillers are okay. I've read all of Dan Brown's stuff and a lot of James Patterson. Anyone have a favorite current author you'd like to share?

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 02:50 PM

C.R. Dickey and E. Raymond Capt are very good. I like to read books that are related to history and related to facts more than fiction.

Morpheus 10-30-2007 02:54 PM

Isaac, I'm leaning more towards nonfiction these days as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

AnimeSpirit 10-30-2007 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ray Buckland!

Attachment 1730
The father of American Wicca!

This guy has written around 57 books!

Pocahontas 10-30-2007 03:01 PM

On the quirky fictional side I've enjoyed reading Alice Hoffman and Ellen Gilchrist.
John Grisham has some good suspenseful court/law related dramas. Of course to me the books were better than the movies.
I enjoy reading a classic every now and then such as Anna Karenina and Wuthering Hights.
For downright fun Jill Browne the author of the Sweet Potato Queens (about Southern women we all know) is hilarious!
How's that for a variety of chick lit???:D

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 23745)
Ray Buckland!

Attachment 1730
The father of American Wicca!

This guy has written around 57 books!

Now that looks like a guy I would want to read :eek: Wicca Warlock :rolleyes:
I am currently about halfway through reading the Holy Bible for the third time and I learn so much each time. The living Word is a ever growing thing.

Attachment 1731
You do not need a church or a preacher to pick up the Book and read it !!

Pocahontas 10-30-2007 03:08 PM

I'm slowly making my way through the Bible as well!:)

AnimeSpirit 10-30-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 23750)
Now that looks like a guy I would want to read :eek: Wicca Warlock :rolleyes:
You do not need a church or a preacher to pick up the Book and read it !!

I decline. By the way, the term "warlock" is actually an offensive term. It means "oathbreaker" or "one who breaks promises." Male witches are labeled no different than the females.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 23752)
I decline. By the way, the term "warlock" is actually an offensive term. It means "oathbreaker" or "one who breaks promises." Male witches are labeled no different than the females.

Well that would be par for the coarse. Witchcraft and one who breaks oath to God. I was not surprised to see you knew about the witch of Endor. Better to be hot or cold than luke warm. Familiar Spirits cost Saul his life.

AnimeSpirit 10-30-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 23753)
Well that would be par for the coarse. Witchcraft and one who breaks oath to God. I was not surprised to see you knew about the witch of Endor. Better to be hot or cold than luke warm. Familiar Spirits cost Saul his life.

Actually, the Wiccans have neither sworn nor broken any oaths to the Christian God.

I don't know the witch of Endor. I don't follow the comment about hot or cold. And I would say failure to take control of his own destiny cost Saul his life. But what do I know, being a Pagan?

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 23754)
Actually, the Wiccans have neither sworn nor broken any oaths to the Christian God.

I don't know the witch of Endor. I don't follow the comment about hot or cold. And I would say failure to take control of his own destiny cost Saul his life. But what do I know, being a Pagan?

Well put :rolleyes:

joepole 10-30-2007 04:39 PM

>Male witches are labeled no different than the females.

This is correct, they're both properly called "dorks."

AnimeSpirit 10-30-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23761)
This is correct, they're both properly called "dorks."

Ah, go stick a pole in your joe.

joepole 10-30-2007 04:47 PM

>I'm slowly making my way through the Bible as well

It moves a little slowly, wait for the movie.

Spoiler alert:

The twist at the end is that Jesus isn't really dead. It's a total "Sixth Sense" ripoff.

joepole 10-30-2007 04:49 PM

Another acceptable term for Wiccans is "The kids with the black eye makeup that nobody wanted to eat lunch with."

Come on, if you pick such a fruity "religion" you have to expect some teasing. I just wish we had some Scientologists so you could pick on somebody, too.