Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Astronomy Pic of the Day (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896)

BrainSmashR 03-06-2007 07:18 AM

Astronomy Pic of the Day

1 Attachment(s)
(SBLive Admin edit: removed picture and included it as an attachment, click the thumbnail for full image view)

For an explanation of this image, click HERE

BrainSmashR 03-06-2007 07:20 AM

Sorry about the size.....I can't edit it with bbcode

Isaac-Saxxon 03-06-2007 10:19 AM

Maybe this will help

1 Attachment(s)
Great view when seen all at one time !
Attachment 120
Isaac

AnimeSpirit 03-06-2007 10:39 AM

Nice graphic! Just guessing, but I assume that is Saturn. ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 03-06-2007 11:09 AM

I just might be Saturn ?

But after falling for the Space Shuttle photos I really do not know. It is a very nice graphic :D
Isaac

BrainSmashR 03-06-2007 12:08 PM

Yes well one of the main differences between Science and Religion is that the sole purpose of science is NOT to fool you while the sole purpose of Religion is...

Explanation: This image of Saturn could not have been taken from Earth. No Earth based picture could possibly view the night side of Saturn and the corresponding shadow cast across Saturn's rings. Since Earth is much closer to the Sun than Saturn, only the day side of the planet is visible from the Earth. In fact, this image mosaic was taken in January by the robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn. The beautiful rings of Saturn are seen in full expanse, while cloud details are visible near the night-day terminator divide.

Tomorrow's picture: passing jupiter

Isaac-Saxxon 03-06-2007 12:28 PM

While you think you know everything

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Yes well one of the main differences between Science and Religion is that the sole purpose of science is NOT to fool you while the sole purpose of Religion is...

Explanation: This image of Saturn could not have been taken from Earth. No Earth based picture could possibly view the night side of Saturn and the corresponding shadow cast across Saturn's rings. Since Earth is much closer to the Sun than Saturn, only the day side of the planet is visible from the Earth. In fact, this image mosaic was taken in January by the robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn. The beautiful rings of Saturn are seen in full expanse, while cloud details are visible near the night-day terminator divide.

Tomorrow's picture: passing jupiter

Science is in agreement with what I believe is the true story of the Bible. You do not know everything I believe and I do not know where you get your BSr.
I do not attend a church because it is religion and I do not play that game so in the future SmashBrain do not assume that you know what I believe. Love to jump on things just for the sake of the jump. I see sbl had to fix your problem on more than one occasion. You seem to be the problem more than having a friendly debate you wreck a friendly debate.
Isaac

BrainSmashR 03-06-2007 03:51 PM

I have made no assumptions about your beliefs. You are the one quoting scientifically impossible "miracles" from the Bible without one ounce of provocation on my part.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing wrong with using the Bible as a tool for how to live your life, and/or raise a family. The problems arise when you start talking about healing chopped off ears.

AnimeSpirit 03-06-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

I disagree. You can't really compare the two this way. The word "science" comes from the Latin word "scientia," which means "knowledge." Science is the act of seeking knowledge. This is a very broad term as it applies to ANY knowledge no matter what topic it covers. This is why there are so many different varieties of science.

Religion, on the other hand, is the act of seeking knowledge that is somewhat less material than many forms of science. Religion involves seeking wisdom, enlightenment, the ability to care for each other, the ability to live a life with meaning, and many other gifts that could be considered divine by those who otherwise do not have them. The two are not meant to be the same and probably never will be.

There as as many foolish scientists as their are foolish clergy, so you can't really compare the two in this respect.

rhertz 03-06-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Most people on the planet believe in some form of religion, while the minority who doesn't is under 10%.

Freud had something to say about people who believe the entire world is wrong.

BrainSmashR 03-07-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I disagree. You can't really compare the two this way. The word "science" comes from the Latin word "scientia," which means "knowledge." Science is the act of seeking knowledge. This is a very broad term as it applies to ANY knowledge no matter what topic it covers. This is why there are so many different varieties of science.

Religion, on the other hand, is the act of seeking knowledge that is somewhat less material than many forms of science. Religion involves seeking wisdom, enlightenment, the ability to care for each other, the ability to live a life with meaning, and many other gifts that could be considered divine by those who otherwise do not have them. The two are not meant to be the same and probably never will be.

There as as many foolish scientists as their are foolish clergy, so you can't really compare the two in this respect.

Religion is in no way shape or form the act of seeking knowledge.

It's a commitment or devotion to a religious belief and/or practice. Isaac reads his Bible everyday....he's not LOOKING for truth, he thinks he's already found it.

BrainSmashR 03-07-2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Most people on the planet believe in some form of religion, while the minority who doesn't is under 10%.

Freud had something to say about people who believe the entire world is wrong.

Once upon a time most of the people thought the Earth was flat and we found out those "10%" who didn't, were the geniuses.

Science isn't a Democracy....being in the majority is irrelevant. What does Freud have to say about that?

BrainSmashR 03-07-2007 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: A new spacecraft is headed for the outer Solar System. Named New Horizons, this robotic explorer passed Jupiter last week after being launched only in early 2006. New Horizons is being pulled by Jupiter's gravity to a greater speed toward its next target: Pluto in 2015. During its encounter with Jupiter, New Horizons was able to capture new images of many Jovian moons, Jupiter's complex and ever-changing atmosphere, and Jupiter's Little Red Spot, pictured above. Formed over the past few years from several smaller storms, Jupiter's Little Red Spot survived a near miss with Jupiter's better-known Great Red Spot last year. The above image of Jupiter covers over twice the diameter of the Earth.

Tomorrow's picture: open space

BrainSmashR 03-08-2007 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: This dramatic image features a dark red Moon during a total lunar eclipse -- celestial shadow play enjoyed by many denizens of planet Earth last Saturday. Recorded near Wildon, Austria, the picture is a composite of two exposures; a relatively short exposure to feature the lunar surface and a longer exposure to capture background stars in the constellation Leo. Completely immersed in Earth's cone-shaped shadow during the total eclipse phase, the lunar surface is still illuminated by sunlight, reddened and refracted into the dark shadow region by a dusty atmosphere. As a result, familiar details of the Moon's nearside are easy to pick out, including the smooth lunar mare and the large ray crater Tycho. In this telescopic view, the background stars are faint and most would be invisible to the naked eye.

Tomorrow's picture: 'e clips it.

Bob 03-08-2007 08:39 AM

Cool pic.. I managed to catch just a little bit of that eclipse this past weekend. Early in the evening, the moon looked like just an orange sliver.. and then some hours later it was full moon.

AnimeSpirit 03-08-2007 09:47 AM

I just caught the first part of the eclipse. I didn't bother to watch the rest.

BrainSmashR 03-09-2007 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: When a Full Moon lies near the ecliptic there can be a lunar eclipse. That cosmic alignment is well illustrated in this composite of eclipse images recorded last Saturday near Paris, France. The projection of the ecliptic plane, the plane of planet Earth's orbit around the Sun, is traced by the long blue line running diagonally through the picture. At a small angle to the ecliptic, along the Moon's orbit, are a series of images from the eclipse itself following the Moon as it moves (down and left) through Earth's shadow. A small blue circle centered on the ecliptic outlines the extent of the dark region of the shadow or umbra. Above, the principal stars of Leo are highlighted, while at the far right lies another celestial wanderer that stays close to the ecliptic - Saturn.

Tomorrow's picture: light weekend

rhertz 03-09-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Science isn't a Democracy....being in the majority is irrelevant.

I have already demonstrated the relevance of the majority. Even if the chances are slim, it is possible that a genius could be a moron and a moron could be a genius. Almost anything is possible. But what makes a genius a genius is the number of people who think he/she is smart. Likewise a moron is created by the number of people who think he/she is dumb. The majority defines your life for everyone (except yourself) which is what inescapably binds you to society. What makes the color red is the number of people who call something red.

But the reason for my post this time is to demonstrate how the scientific community is in many ways the ultimate Democracy. Hundreds of scientists investigate a particular issue through hypothesis and experimentation. Then all in the science community cast their vote by taking sides with the various camps that believe one theory over another. Newer discoveries displace older ones that were "fact" once upon a time, but get upgraded as new information is uncovered. Over time, the scientific community gets smarter but at any instance, everything they know is wrong - that is, everything they know is destined to grow and be upgraded to the next step of understanding.

The Word of God is one thing that I can count on because it hasn't been upgraded but twice in thousands of years. That fact alone is testament to its longevity and relevance in society. Compare that to scientific software manuals that need upgrading with every new version making the old information irrelevant.

BrainSmashR 03-09-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

I have already demonstrated the relevance of the majority. Even if the chances are slim, it is possible that a genius could be a moron and a moron could be a genius. Almost anything is possible. But what makes a genius a genius is the number of people who think he/she is smart. Likewise a moron is created by the number of people who think he/she is dumb. The majority defines your life for everyone (except yourself) which is what inescapably binds you to society. What makes the color red is the number of people who call something red.

I hate to burst your bubble there, Einstein, but the number of people who believe someone to be a genius is irrelevant. Accomplishments and scores on standardized tests determine whether or not someone is a genius.

And the Dictionary supports my statement as well:

b: extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c: a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high IQ

BTW, if every christian on the planet suddenly decided the sky was red.....it STILL would not be red. Colors are what they are, man has done nothing but label them because "red" is easier to say than the color that resembles the coals in the bottom of a fire.

Quote:

But the reason for my post this time is to demonstrate how the scientific community is in many ways the ultimate Democracy. Hundreds of scientists investigate a particular issue through hypothesis and experimentation. Then all in the science community cast their vote by taking sides with the various camps that believe one theory over another. Newer discoveries displace older ones that were "fact" once upon a time, but get upgraded as new information is uncovered. Over time, the scientific community gets smarter but at any instance, everything they know is wrong - that is, everything they know is destined to grow and be upgraded to the next step of understanding.
Look up the term "Scientific Law", then learn the difference between fact and theory and get back to me.

You see, Gravity is a Scientific Law while there are only theories explaining it's cause.

Quote:

The Word of God is one thing that I can count on because it hasn't been upgraded but twice in thousands of years. That fact alone is testament to its longevity and relevance in society. Compare that to scientific software manuals that need upgrading with every new version making the old information irrelevant.
Did you not just tell me on another thread that the Author of the book of Genesis must have witnessed the "miracle" even though the story clearly states the creation of Earth and the heavens took place prior to the creation of man?

...and you have the audacity to say the Bible is unchanging:laugh: :laugh:

AnimeSpirit 03-09-2007 09:05 PM

How in the world did this topic become a religious discussion? :freaky:

Isabella 03-09-2007 10:27 PM

Some people like to argue.

LateNight 03-10-2007 08:50 AM

“What distinguishes the majority of men from the few is their ability to act according to their beliefs”
Henry Miller

“Any man more right than his neighbors, constitutes a majority of one.”
Henry David Thoreau

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. ”
Samuel Adams

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ”
Marcus Aurelius

“One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned at the stake while the votes were being counted. ”
Thomas B. Reed

Isaac-Saxxon 03-10-2007 09:53 AM

LN kind of early for you ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
“What distinguishes the majority of men from the few is their ability to act according to their beliefs”
Henry Miller

“Any man more right than his neighbors, constitutes a majority of one.”
Henry David Thoreau

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. ”
Samuel Adams

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ”
Marcus Aurelius

“One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned at the stake while the votes were being counted. ”
Thomas B. Reed

I like your quotes. I wonder how this got off track here :rolleyes: So I hope everybody has a great week end. I will requote LN on the best of those quotes.

Samuel Adams

Isaac

BrainSmashR 03-10-2007 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
How in the world did this topic become a religious discussion? :freaky:

Zealots quite often lack the ability to carry on conversations without introducing religion. It's one of their identifying characteristics.
__________________________________________________ ____________________-

Explanation: A red Moon rose over Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA on March 3rd, immersed in Earth's shadow near the total phase of a lunar eclipse. This serene portrait of the eclipsed Moon in a dark blue twilight sky also features the Highland Lighthouse (aka Cape Cod lighthouse), another more locally familiar beacon in the night. Now automated, the 66 foot tall structure in use today was built in 1857. How often has there been an eclipse within view of the Highland light? For locations on planet Earth there are about two eclipse seasons each year. So, eclipses have actually had many chances to be part of the pictorial history of the Highland Lighthouse, including a total solar eclipse in 1932.

Tomorrow's picture: gravity's lens

BrainSmashR 03-11-2007 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: Most galaxies have a single nucleus -- does this galaxy have four? The strange answer leads astronomers to conclude that the nucleus of the surrounding galaxy is not even visible in this image. The central cloverleaf is rather light emitted from a background quasar. The gravitational field of the visible foreground galaxy breaks light from this distant quasar into four distinct images. The quasar must be properly aligned behind the center of a massive galaxy for a mirage like this to be evident. The general effect is known as gravitational lensing, and this specific case is known as the Einstein Cross. Stranger still, the images of the Einstein Cross vary in relative brightness, enhanced occasionally by the additional gravitational microlensing effect of specific stars in the foreground galaxy.

Tomorrow's picture: watching jupiter

BrainSmashR 03-12-2007 06:05 AM

This one is actually a video.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...ewhorizons.mpg

Explanation: What would it be like to coast by Jupiter and watch it rotate? This was just the experience of the New Horizons spacecraft as it approached and flew by Jupiter earlier this year. Clicking on the image will bring up a movie of what the robotic spacecraft saw. Visible above in the extensive atmosphere of the Solar System's largest planet are bands and belts of light and dark clouds, as well as giant rotating storm systems seen as ovals. Other movies compiled by New Horizons and other passing spacecraft have captured the clouds swirling and moving relative to themselves. Jupiter has a diameter of about eleven times that of our Earth, and rotates once in about 10 hours. The robotic New Horizons spacecraft continues to speed toward the outer Solar System where it is expected to approach Pluto in 2015.

BrainSmashR 03-13-2007 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: The Spirit rover attacked Mars again in 2005 September. What might look, above, like a military attack, though, was once again just a scientific one - Spirit was instructed to closely inspect some interesting rocks near the summit of Husband Hill. Spirit's Panoramic Camera captured the rover's Instrument Deployment Device above as moved to get a closer look at an outcrop of rocks named Hillary. The Spirit rover, and its twin rover Opportunity, have now been exploring the red planet for over three years. Both Spirit and Opportunity have found evidence that parts of Mars were once wet.

Tomorrow's picture: splendid spiral

BrainSmashR 03-14-2007 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: Why do some spiral galaxies have a ring around the center? First and foremost, M95 is one of the closer examples of a big and beautiful barred spiral galaxy. Visible in the above recent image from the CFHT telescope in Hawaii, USA, are sprawling spiral arms delineate by open clusters of bright blue stars, lanes of dark dust, the diffuse glow of billions of faint stars, and a short bar across the galaxy center. What intrigues many astronomers, however, is the circumnuclear ring around the galaxy center visible just outside the central bar. Recent images by the Chandra X-ray Observatory have shown that X-ray light surrounding the ring is likely emission from recent supernovas. Although the long term stability of the ring remains a topic of research, recent observations indicate its present brightness is at least enhanced by transient bursts of star formation. M95, also known as NGC 3351, spans about 50,000 light-years and can be seen with a small telescope toward the constellation of the Lion (Leo).

BrainSmashR 04-09-2007 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: Higher than the highest mountain, higher than the highest airplane, lies the realm of the aurora. Aurora rarely reach below 60 kilometers, and can range up to 1000 kilometers. Aurora light results from solar shockwave causing energetic electrons and protons to striking molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. Frequently, when viewed from space, a complete aurora will appear as a circle around one of the Earth's magnetic poles. The above digitally enhanced photograph was taken in 2005 January shows a spectacular aurora borealis above the frozen landscape of Bear Lake, Alaska, USA. The above image was voted Wikipedia Commons Picture of the Year for 2006.

Tomorrow's picture: saturn swoop

AnimeSpirit 04-09-2007 02:23 PM

Sweet! That's a nice photo.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-09-2007 03:07 PM

Great photo of the digitally enhanced borealis

Quote:

Explanation: Higher than the highest mountain, higher than the highest airplane, lies the realm of the aurora. Aurora rarely reach below 60 kilometers, and can range up to 1000 kilometers. Aurora light results from solar shockwave causing energetic electrons and protons to striking molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. Frequently, when viewed from space, a complete aurora will appear as a circle around one of the Earth's magnetic poles. The above digitally enhanced photograph was taken in 2005 January shows a spectacular aurora borealis above the frozen landscape of Bear Lake, Alaska, USA. The above image was voted Wikipedia Commons Picture of the Year for 2006.

Tomorrow's picture: saturn swoop

This is a link to a camera of the borealis which is at Poker Flatt in Alaska sometimes the camera is down so check early in the morning for the best shot of the borealis. http://salmon.nict.go.jp/live/aurora...ora_cam_e.html
Good post Buddy !
Isaac

BrainSmashR 04-10-2007 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Explanation: Swooping below Saturn, the Cassini spacecraft spied several strange wonders. Visible in the distance are some of the many complex rings that orbit the Solar System's second largest planet. In the foreground looms the gigantic world itself, covered with white dots that are clouds high in Saturn's thick atmosphere. Saturn's atmosphere is so thick that only clouds are visible. At the very South Pole of Saturn lies a huge vortex that is a hurricane-like storm showing no sign of dissipating. The robotic Cassini spacecraft took the above image in January from about one million kilometers out, resolving details about 50 kilometers across.

BrainSmashR 04-10-2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
This is a link to a camera of the borealis which is at Poker Flatt in Alaska sometimes the camera is down so check early in the morning for the best shot of the borealis. http://salmon.nict.go.jp/live/aurora...ora_cam_e.html
Good post Buddy !
Isaac

My pictures come straight from NASA and cover a wide range of celestial bodies, furthermore, I don't need any false praise from a typical christian piece of trash trying to make up for his past (and future) transgressions.

In layman's terms, get your A.D.D. under control and try some consistency, buddy.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-10-2007 07:18 AM

Just a cheap copy or box cedar Abby

Quote:

My pictures come straight from NASA and cover a wide range of celestial bodies, furthermore, I don't need any false praise from a typical Christian piece of trash trying to make up for his past (and future) transgressions.

In layman's terms, get your A.D.D. under control and try some consistency, buddy.

I was not giving you any praise so do not flatter yourself. I was posting a photo of the real deal unlike your post. I can see why you like space so much it is quite fitting of a air head like you. There will come that time in which even a abnormal fellow like you will know God Created The Heaves And THE EARTH :clap: I hope for your sake you are not hunting for a drop of cool water at that time. Wake up buddy and smell the coffee the clock waits for nobody. What happened in your life to make you so full of hate ? It just pours from your key board. Bad childhood ? Some people blame it on that or just been burned so many times by the social light that you can not see any more. Well we are praying for you that God's will be done in your life and some times HE will let you go to the dogs for a while before you come back such as the Prodigal Son. No buddy you do not deserve any praise from anybody. You keep trying to prove God does not exist and I will keep praying you get your answer. ;)
Isaac

BrainSmashR 04-10-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

I was not giving you any praise so do not flatter yourself. I was posting a photo of the real deal unlike your post. I can see why you like space so much it is quite fitting of a air head like you. There will come that time in which even a abnormal fellow like you will know God Created The Heaves And THE EARTH :clap: I hope for your sake you are not hunting for a drop of cool water at that time. Wake up buddy and smell the coffee the clock waits for nobody. What happened in your life to make you so full of hate ? It just pours from your key board. Bad childhood ? Some people blame it on that or just been burned so many times by the social light that you can not see any more. Well we are praying for you that God's will be done in your life and some times HE will let you go to the dogs for a while before you come back such as the Prodigal Son. No buddy you do not deserve any praise from anybody. You keep trying to prove God does not exist and I will keep praying you get your answer. ;)
Isaac

Blah, blah, blah, blah

You sound like a broken record. Try some new lies or is thinking for yourself also forbidden in your basement fantasyland?

BTW, nice Aslan Avatar....or did you think no one would recognize your false idol? Which commandment is that again?

rhertz 04-10-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Explanation: Swooping below Saturn, the Cassini spacecraft spied several strange wonders. Visible in the distance are some of the many complex rings that orbit the Solar System's second largest planet. In the foreground looms the gigantic world itself, covered with white dots that are clouds high in Saturn's thick atmosphere. Saturn's atmosphere is so thick that only clouds are visible. At the very South Pole of Saturn lies a huge vortex that is a hurricane-like storm showing no sign of dissipating. The robotic Cassini spacecraft took the above image in January from about one million kilometers out, resolving details about 50 kilometers across.

Don't you just stand in awe of God's creation!! When I see photos like this, I very much feel like the NASA astronauts did when they first orbited the moon. Especially Frank Borman.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-10-2007 02:21 PM

You sound like a broken record abby normal

Quote:

Blah, blah, blah, blah

You sound like a broken record. Try some new lies or is thinking for yourself also forbidden in your basement fantasy land?

BTW, nice Aslan Avatar....or did you think no one would recognize your false idol? Which commandment is that again?

No lies here buddy just the cold hard facts. Your plain old white trash and to boot TT (trailer trash) and nothing more. Dog piles in the yard and a human pile living inside :laugh: :laugh: I can see you have no basement by the skirting around your trailer :eek: On your belly shall you crawl all the days of your miserable life. :nono:
Isaac

BrainSmashR 04-10-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Don't you just stand in awe of God's creation!! When I see photos like this, I very much feel like the NASA astronauts did when they first orbited the moon. Especially Frank Borman.

Of course I stand in awe, and I want to know how it happened.

I can either say "god made it that way" or utilize the tools of science and find the truth. That's what separates the ambitious from the content.

BrainSmashR 04-10-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

No lies here buddy just the cold hard facts. Your plain old white trash and to boot TT (trailer trash) and nothing more. Dog piles in the yard and a human pile living inside :laugh: :laugh: I can see you have no basement by the skirting around your trailer :eek: On your belly shall you crawl all the days of your miserable life. :nono:
Isaac

If you don't have anything constructive to add, then piss off.

I'm here for debate, not to read the ramblings of a stupid ****ing zealot.

E.B. Farnum 04-10-2007 05:18 PM

And here it is, I thought this was the "Astronomy Pic of the Day" thread ?
Bummer. :(