Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Death Penalty for Child Molesters (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505)

piemaker720 05-19-2007 07:39 AM

Death Penalty for Child Molesters

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...616890,00.html

Quote:

There's tough. And then there's Texas tough," Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst declared at his January inauguration as he pledged to press for mandatory 25-year sentences and a two-strikes death-penalty provision for convicted child predators.
Hang on you filthy sex offenders it could get rough.:clap: :clap:

AnimeSpirit 05-19-2007 11:02 AM

Ah, it says they're only convisting pedophiles this way. That's good because I'd have a problem with them doing this with all molesters.

The reason I would have a problem with convicting all molesters is this. Some adults who consented to sex sometimes claim it was rape later for whatever reason. I have seen it happen and perfectly law abiding people (usually men) go to jail because their partner had it in for them. If we started giving them the death penalty that would suck! Here's to only having sex with partners you are steady with!

Pedos, on the other hand, have no such excuses. Send them to the chair!

joepole 05-19-2007 11:08 AM

The death penalty for anything but murder is a bad idea, you're basically removing the penalty for an even more heinous crime. If I just finished molesting a kid, why would I leave her alive if killing her wouldn't affect my potential punishment at all?

rhertz 05-19-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
The death penalty for anything but murder is a bad idea, you're basically removing the penalty for an even more heinous crime. If I just finished molesting a kid, why would I leave her alive if killing her wouldn't affect my potential punishment at all?

I agree but for totally different reasons. The 10 commandments clearly state "Thou shall not kill". To kill someone for any reason other than murder could be seen as being very hypocritical in the least or going against the Word of God at most. I'm not trying to start a religion thread here, just making a point that is OK to disagree with and move on. I'm just saying this is another reason that it is a bad idea, even though all agree it is a heinous crime.

rhertz 05-19-2007 11:45 AM

Given today's stance on children and sex, I wonder if a "feel good" movie like "Big" with Tom Hanks could ever be produced in 2007. In this movie, the leading lady (unknowingly) committed statutory rape with a child (Tom) who was portrayed as being only 12 years old. It was a cute movie. But did Elizabeth Perkins deserve 25 years in jail? That could be the plot for Big2. "But judge, I swear Josh looked much older than 12 at the time of the incident!"

joepole 05-19-2007 10:56 PM

1. The law shouldn't consider what the 10 Commandments have to say about anything

2. The Bible/Torah actually says "לא תרצח" which, in English, is closer to "Thou shalt not murder" than it is to "Thou shalt no kill."

rhertz 05-20-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

1. The law shouldn't consider what the 10 Commandments have to say about anything

The majority of practitioners of religion believe in Islam/jewish/christian principles outlined in the old testiment. If not for religious/moral/ethical reasons, why should killing a person be illegal? If some guy rapes my sister, why shouldn't I kill that rapist for revenge unless God says that is wrong?

Quote:

2. The Bible/Torah actually says "לא תרצח" which, in English, is closer to "Thou shalt not murder" than it is to "Thou shalt no kill."

which sorta supports my point about killing people who did not kill anyone themselves. When to kill a person and when not to kill a person, that is the question. When is killing someone ok?

joepole 05-20-2007 01:16 AM

>If not for religious/moral/ethical reasons

Those are three different things, I only said religion should be ignored by the law.

>When is killing someone ok?

When they cruise below the speed limit in the left lane.

Pocahontas 05-20-2007 09:02 AM

We must be traveling the same roads Joe! Why can't they just MOVE over!??:mad:

The other criminals already in jail tend to "take care" of the child molesters in their own way! Whatever life they have left in prison will most likely consist of torture, pain and in many cases death.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-20-2007 11:36 AM

If they are guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt then tall tree short rope. Pokie you are right in jail they will be at the bottom of the food chain and that is not the place to end up in this life.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-21-2007 06:51 AM

I see this morning on the news that Texas is trying to pass a law that would enable them to execute habitual offenders. I agree with this the only problem is they have to commit the crime more than once to get this sentence.

AnimeSpirit 05-21-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I see this morning on the news that Texas is trying to pass a law that would enable them to execute habitual offenders. I agree with this the only problem is they have to commit the crime more than once to get this sentence.

Right, that's what this topic is all about. It's pointless to bring religious ethics into this issue because personal ethics (while much inspired by religion, but are not the same) seem to determine our opinions and actions more.

mixmaster 05-22-2007 12:08 AM

Child molesters should be hung by their balls till they die a natural death.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-22-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Right, that's what this topic is all about. It's pointless to bring religious ethics into this issue because personal ethics (while much inspired by religion, but are not the same) seem to determine our opinions and actions more.

Hey Anime when did I bring religion into this :confused: Rape is rape and they should be tried and liquidated :mad:

Sheba 05-22-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

Who can remove heinous from the description of child molestation? When it happens on a repeated basis, which is often, it kills a child on the inside - strips away dignity, self esteem, hope. It involves control over a child so that they won't tell - threats to parents or other siblings and lies to produce that control. Precious innocence is lost for the child on so many levels - a death to childhood.

That is heinous in my opinion - stripping away life in a most inhumane way. I'm with Isaac - tall tree & a short rope. Perhaps a few years at the bottom of that food chain first. Why not take a strong stand against child molestation and be proactive for the sake of children verses waiting for repeated incidents and be reactive while children still suffer?

Always for the children!!