Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Bullet Proof President (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982)

Isaac-Saxxon 07-04-2007 09:58 AM

The Bullet Proof President

1 Attachment(s)
This story of George Washington once appeared in virtually every student text in America, but hasn't been seen in the last forty years. This story deals with George Washington when he was involved in the French and Indian War as a young man only twenty-three years of age.
The French and Indian War occurred twenty years before the American Revolution. It was the British against the French; the Americans sided with the British; and most of the Indians sided with the French. Both Great Britain and France disputed each others' claims of territorial ownership along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers; both of them claimed the same land.

The rest of the story:
http://www.garymcleod.org/bullet.htm
This is well worth the read :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Attachment 870

Pocahontas 07-04-2007 12:20 PM

It really is a crying shame that history is being removed from history books for the sake of being politically correct! Our kids need to hear these stories in their original versions then be allowed to form their own opinions!:(

Texasbelle 07-04-2007 04:54 PM

Amen, Pokie!

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 07:26 AM

I was thinking some of the folks on this board that like history would post to this but it is not happening. Thank you Pokie and Tbelle for your post. ;)

LateNight 07-05-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I was thinking some of the folks on this board that like history would post to this but it is not happening. Thank you Pokie and Tbelle for your post. ;)

It was a good post, and an interesting read..

I got distracted by all of my 4th celebrations... :)

rhertz 07-05-2007 12:02 PM

This link doesn't work for me:

Server must be down. LOL, we overloaded it! ;) :D

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
This link doesn't work for me:

Server must be down. LOL, we overloaded it! ;) :D

I tried it and it worked just fine :confused:

rhertz 07-05-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

I tried it and it worked just fine :confused:

Maybe you have it cached in your browser since you hit it successfully before. Looks like a DNS problem. I can't even do a nslookup on it in order to ping it and see if their server responds or not. Oh well.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 12:21 PM

You should try using google then to look it up it is well worth you time. It is a short column and makes some very good points.

Huldah 07-05-2007 12:58 PM

The Bullet Proof President

This is a very good story; like many others that have been removed from the history books used in our public school system. Too bad they have not only removed the truth, but made it all boring to boot.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 01:29 PM

Hey rhertz you might want to go back to computer school. I am sure the fine people at SBLive can teach you a few tricks on a computer :laugh: :laugh:

joepole 07-05-2007 02:32 PM

That story is obviously complete BS, so it's a good thing we're not teaching it to our children.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
That story is obviously complete BS, so it's a good thing we're not teaching it to our children.

I like your blanket statement there Joe. Opinions, opinions everybody has one and just like the body :laugh: :laugh: Did you even read it ?

joepole 07-05-2007 04:06 PM

Of course I read it, how else would I have known how ridiculous it is.

I don't want m kids taught that George Washington was a magical man that was protected from bullets by supernatural powers anymore than I want them taught that he could fly or shoot lasers from his eyes.

LateNight 07-05-2007 06:17 PM

I agree, that I don't see the story as "history" but I still found it interesting... seems over the years, we always have a few of these military type leaders.. stand around in the middle of chaos, never flinching.. never seem to get wounded.. it's enspiring :) LOL

Isaac-Saxxon 07-05-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Of course I read it, how else would I have known how ridiculous it is.

I don't want m kids taught that George Washington was a magical man that was protected from bullets by supernatural powers anymore than I want them taught that he could fly or shoot lasers from his eyes.

Some would call in coincidence others divine intervention. You make your choice and I too will make mine. I sure your children will not hear of such it might give them to much choice.

rhertz 07-05-2007 07:28 PM

The beauty of living in America is that we as individuals can teach our children anything we damn well please at home. Schools are good for the three R's... But one size does not fit all. That is where PARENTING comes into play. And thank goodness for that or else I might be out of a job. :D

Isaac-Saxxon 07-06-2007 05:41 AM

There was a time when the schools taught Christian values and now that has been stamped out by the likes of the ACLU and a very few others. In the last forty five years we have seen our children loose all contact with morals and there certain people that would wonder why ??

joepole 07-06-2007 09:22 AM

Teaching Christian values is not he job of the state. Stamping that out is a good thing.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-06-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Teaching Christian values is not he job of the state. Stamping that out is a good thing.

It is OK for you to be wrong :rolleyes: because your are wrong. You are sadly mistaken that it is a good thing :nono:

LateNight 07-06-2007 10:30 AM

something about the term "Christian Values"... sometimes I think I want to run for the hills when I hear that.

Like a politician spouting "Family Values". Sure in a perfect world, I know what they mean, or what they "should" mean.

TGIF EVERYONE! don't float away.

:peace:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
something about the term "Christian Values"... sometimes I think I want to run for the hills when I hear that.

Like a politician spouting "Family Values". Sure in a perfect world, I know what they mean, or what they "should" mean.

TGIF EVERYONE! don't float away.

:peace:

I hope you do not fall down running away or catch one in the back ;)

Texasbelle 07-07-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

There was a time when the schools taught Christian values and now that has been stamped out by the likes of the ACLU and a very few others. In the last forty five years we have seen our children loose all contact with morals and there certain people that would wonder why ??

This is EXACTLY why we homeschool. My son is taught Christian values, taught ALL of the subjects we want him to learn, and no one gets to interefere as a teacher and teach him their principals and values. He will be a better person because the ACLU and the "left" did not get a chance to interefere in his education and upbringing.

Pocahontas 07-07-2007 10:30 AM

I'll have to say over here in south Bossier the schools are still having prayer before sporting events, back to school nights, and all functions I've been to. They aren't supposed to but are making a statement and to me a good one at that! When they teach evolution they let the kids know they don't necessarily agree with it but are required to teach it. I think it is good for the teachers to let the kids figure out what they believe and to let them know it is okay to agree to disagree.:peace:

rhertz 07-07-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

This is exactly why my kids go to private (christian) school. I want them to be smart like joepole is, but with more faith in Christ to go along with it.

Because I am Christian, (and have no vouncher system) then I must pay twice. I wish the government would learn what to privatize and what not to, then lower taxes accordingly.

Should be public:
Securing borders
Military Defense
maintaining streets, highways, and bridges
water and sewer
Fire and Police
space exploration (because of military potential)

Should be provided by the private sector: (IMHO)
medical care
schools
internet access
religion
energy, gas, electricity
garbage collection
almost the government isn't particularly suited to do

joepole 07-07-2007 01:03 PM

>They aren't supposed to but are making a statement and to me a good one at that!

What statement is that, "The beliefs of some are more important than the laws that govern all?"

How can someone who doesn't believe in evolution ever become a qualified science teacher in the first place? Doesn't a science teacher have to have a college degree in some sort of science subject?

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 01:19 PM

The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible. You may choose to believe different and that is your right purchased by many a brave Christian soldier. I can see why you "may" think the way you do because you may have never had a chance to read with understanding from the Word of God. I do not agree with you joepole on this but I respect your post you are a well educated man in some areas. :clap:

Pocahontas 07-07-2007 02:07 PM

I agree Isaac that everyone is entitled to post their feelings/opinions whether we agree with them or not.
The science teacher I'm speaking of us does have her degree. In my opinion one can still be a scientist and believe in God and the Earth's true origins.

rhertz 07-07-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible. You may choose to believe different and that is your right purchased by many a brave Christian soldier. I can see why you "may" think the way you do because you may have never had a chance to read with understanding from the Word of God. I do not agree with you joepole on this but I respect your post you are a well educated man in some areas. :clap:

I am mostly in agreement with you. Re: the laws we live by were handed down from the Bible. But the Bible is two parts, the old and new testiments. IMHO, I think basic laws come from the old testiment (eye for an eye sort of thing), rather than the new testiment (forgive, turn the other cheek, etc.)

LOL, imagine for a moment if christians were as successful as muslims when it comes to combining church and state. What if state law was based on the teachings of Jesus. LOL, what a stretch of the imagination that would be. All the accident lawyers would be out of work while people forgave each other for accidents, and the community gave of themselves to provide for any need that arose out of the event. (because they have to or be fined or tortured) I think that is one of the things that makes the teachings of Jesus so unique. It is ridiculous and makes no sense to try to make a "state" out of the life principles He taught. By default, I think Christianity must be a good religion to have around if you really want to keep separate church and state.

Pocahontas 07-07-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

This is exactly why my kids go to private (christian) school. I want them to be smart like joepole is, but with more faith in Christ to go along with it.

Because I am Christian, (and have no vouncher system) then I must pay twice. I wish the government would learn what to privatize and what not to, then lower taxes accordingly.

Should be public:
Securing borders
Military Defense
maintaining streets, highways, and bridges
water and sewer
Fire and Police
space exploration (because of military potential)

Should be provided by the private sector: (IMHO)
medical care
schools
internet access
religion
energy, gas, electricity
garbage collection
almost the government isn't particularly suited to do

How is evolution dealt with in a private Christian school?

rhertz 07-07-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas

Evolution?? What's that?? :D (ducking)

Seriously they teach that too. They also teach prayer and bible studies which I feel is also good thing since I am a Christian and I choose to pass that belief system on to my children like generations before me.

I've done both and I think that going to school in a church is better than going to school in a donut! ;)

joepole 07-07-2007 02:44 PM

>The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible.

No, they weren't. They were handed down from the U.S. Congress, the LA Legislature, the Caddo Parish Commission, and the City of Shreveport.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

>The point here is that the laws we live by where handed down from the Bible.

No, they weren't. They were handed down from the U.S. Congress, the LA Legislature, the Caddo Parish Commission, and the City of Shreveport.

You think that the U.S. Congress just pulled them out of the air ? The way marks are all over this country in name and symbol. You can choose to ignore them or call them circumstantial it is your choice. Like I said in the other post you have not seen that thread of truth in the Bible and ignorance is bliss to some degree.

LateNight 07-07-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas

My mother, who has been a teacher or Principal in a few different private Schools in Shreveport. Says they all taught Evolution. But it is offered as a "Theory", that it's a theory that some believe, and that some do not. And they leave it at that.

Texasbelle 07-07-2007 06:41 PM

My children who have now both graduated from private Christian schools were both taught that evolution is a "theory" that some believe. None of my children believe in evolution. Thank you Jesus!!!

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
My children who have now both graduated from private Christian schools were both taught that evolution is a "theory" that some believe. None of my children believe in evolution. Thank you Jesus!!!

:goodpost2: :goodpost2: :goodpost2: :bravo:

rhertz 07-07-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle

I believe in evolution as well as Christ. I guess that makes me schitzo? I don't think so. I do not believe that science and religion are mutually exclusive. I think they are both happening at the same time. Evolution is just another of God's creations..... :D

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

I believe in evolution as well as Christ. I guess that makes me schitzo? I don't think so. I do not believe that science and religion are mutually exclusive. I think they are both happening at the same time. Evolution is just another of God's creations..... :D

NOT !!!!!!!!!

LateNight 07-07-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

I believe in evolution as well as Christ. I guess that makes me schitzo?

Nope, just observant ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 07-07-2007 07:41 PM

Nope, just a fence rider :eek: