Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health & Wellness (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Any smokers on the forum (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2938)

Morpheus 10-31-2007 05:05 PM

Any smokers on the forum

Any smokers on the forum? Just curious. I'm tobacco free myself and really enjoying the smoke free restaurants.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-31-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 23849)
Any smokers on the forum? Just curious. I'm tobacco free myself and really enjoying the smoke free restaurants.

Nothing worse than going to a restaurant and having to sit in the smoking section because there are no other seats. Now that is not a problem.

joepole 10-31-2007 07:03 PM

The smoking ban is one of the rare occasions where I am opposed to a law that really benefits me.

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23857)
The smoking ban is one of the rare occasions where I am opposed to a law that really benefits me.

I agree. I'm not a smoker but I do not want or need the government to save me in that regard.

Morpheus 10-31-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23857)

Not really surprising from someone that campaigns for the right to beat off in public bathrooms. I had you pegged for a smoker though.

Morpheus 10-31-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23869)
I agree. I'm not a smoker but I do not want or need the government to save me in that regard.

regulation is the cornerstone of society. without it there would be chaos.

rhertz 10-31-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 23889)
regulation is the cornerstone of society. without it there would be chaos.

In my opinion, capitalism is the cornerstone of society. Without it there would be no competition or choice. I think entrepeneurs should be able to develop and establish smokers-only restaurants, no-smoking restaurants, and everything in between. Nobody has to patronize any particular establishment if they don't want to.

Re: Regulation

The I ching says....
>man is not happy working without regulation. If he has no restrictions nor limitations, he will create them!!

How true....I just like it when "he" is "me".. :D

joepole 10-31-2007 10:30 PM

I think you're confusing capitalism with free enterprise.

>Not really surprising from someone that campaigns for the right to beat off in public bathrooms. I had you pegged for a smoker though.

Smoking, like jerking off, is gross when other people do it. I would rather not have it near me, but it shouldn't be illegal.

rhertz 10-31-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23903)
I think you're confusing capitalism with free enterprise.

Thanks for the clarification. I only made a "C" in Free Enterprise class at CSHS. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23903)
Smoking, like jerking off, is gross when other people do it. I would rather not have it near me, but it shouldn't be illegal.

LOL, that makes more sense than I'd like to admit. I guess this is why I read this forum...

Morpheus 11-01-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23898)
In my opinion, capitalism is the cornerstone of society. Without it there would be no competition or choice. I think entrepeneurs should be able to develop and establish smokers-only restaurants, no-smoking restaurants, and everything in between. Nobody has to patronize any particular establishment if they don't want to.

Re: Regulation

The I ching says....
>man is not happy working without regulation. If he has no restrictions nor limitations, he will create them!!

How true....I just like it when "he" is "me".. :D

There are societies without capitalism. All societies, however, have rules. They're not necessarily for you or me. I feel fairly certain that even without a rule, you wouldn't come to my house and hurt me or my family, or take our things. Unfortunately, not everyone is like you. Even worse, some would do it in spite of the rules. I recognize I have to sacrifice some personal liberty. I know it gets to be a gray area in terms of how far reaching the regulations should be.

However, I do feel that smoking is one of those things that can hurt you. Even if you are not the one smoking.

Pocahontas 11-01-2007 07:56 AM

It is so much more pleasant to go into restaurants, grocery stores and public buildings and NOT have to breathe in someone's obnoxious smoke! If someone really has to smoke they should take it outside. I don't care for parents who smoke inside their homes or cars with their kids being subjected to 2nd hand smoke either!:nono:

LateNight 11-01-2007 08:19 AM

Regulations, regulations. Like has been said before.. Yes we need "laws". No I can't legally rob you, however, I should be free to do what I want as long as I cause you no harm. A restaurant owner should be allowed to create whatever type of establishment they want.. they should be allowed to have a smoke free environment, or allow smoking if they want.

The government goes about randomly setting restrictions like this, making these choices for us.. that's not how this is supposed to work. Half the time it doesn't make much sense.. Alcohol is legal, but I can't walk down the street and buy a bag of marijuana from my neighbor if I want to without fear of getting busted.

They pass laws saying we have to wear motorcycle helmets, or can't smoke here or there, or can't buy beer on sundays. Sure smoking is bad for you, and riding without a helmet can be dangerous.. Drinking alcohol is bad for you and can be dangerous, however this IS legal ?

It's this feeling that the government owns' your ass from cradle to the grave.. taxed to heck and back like they own you.

The more we expect the government to restrict, regulate etc.. the BIGGER government gets. The bigger the government gets, the more freedoms you start to lose.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-01-2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight (Post 23926)
Regulations, regulations. Like has been said before.. Yes we need "laws". No I can't legally rob you, however, I should be free to do what I want as long as I cause you no harm. A restaurant owner should be allowed to create whatever type of establishment they want.. they should be allowed to have a smoke free environment, or allow smoking if they want.

The government goes about randomly setting restrictions like this, making these choices for us.. that's not how this is supposed to work. Half the time it doesn't make much sense.. Alcohol is legal, but I can't walk down the street and buy a bag of marijuana from my neighbor if I want to without fear of getting busted.

They pass laws saying we have to wear motorcycle helmets, or can't smoke here or there, or can't buy beer on Sundays. Sure smoking is bad for you, and riding without a helmet can be dangerous.. Drinking alcohol is bad for you and can be dangerous, however this IS legal ?

It's this feeling that the government owns' your ass from cradle to the grave.. taxed to heck and back like they own you.

The more we expect the government to restrict, regulate etc.. the BIGGER government gets. The bigger the government gets, the more freedoms you start to lose.

:goodpost2:
I am a business owner and the rules and taxes that are placed on me really make me mad. The government and unions are a ball and chain to business owners. I pay the bills and taxes so I call the shots on my property. I do not have smoking in my business but if someone wants to go outside I am ok with that but oh no some politician in Baton Rouge will not have that. If I am doing something the costumers do not like they will not come back. Free enterprise doing what it is suppose to do.

piemaker720 11-01-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 23919)
It is so much more pleasant to go into restaurants, grocery stores and public buildings and NOT have to breathe in someone's obnoxious smoke! If someone really has to smoke they should take it outside. I don't care for parents who smoke inside their homes or cars with their kids being subjected to 2nd hand smoke either!:nono:

Well Pokie I use to smoke but I have been quit now for 5 years. I did not quit for health reasons, I quit because I got tired of it and they started tasting bad. But I do think the now smoking ban is bad, if people want to smoke they should have that right. Who am I to tell someone else they can't? If I went to a place where someone was smoking it is my right whether I go in or not. If someone opened a smokers only restaurant someone would try to sue for discrimination and you know that. I really don't believe in telling someone else what they can do in their own house or car or with their kids unless they were physically abusing the child. And smoking in front of you kids is not abuse, sure maybe unhealthy, but not abuse. I find there is a problem now days with groups or churches running around trying to run other peoples lives, to me that is wrong.

AnimeSpirit 11-01-2007 09:18 AM

I'm with Pokie on this one. Smoke if you want, but choose your locations wisely so that we can all enjoy ourselves, not just the smokers. I'm not a smoker myself, never have been and not planning on becoming one. I don't know if it's necessary to pass laws around it, but people should be more courteous without the laws.