Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Louisiana Outdoors (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Comments on: Cow Mahi Mahi on the gaff (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2322)

sbl_admin 08-03-2007 09:18 PM

Comments on: Cow Mahi Mahi on the gaff

Reader comments and feedback for the Cow Mahi Mahi on the gaff photo.
This image is part of the Louisiana Outdoors photo gallery

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/pho...ef4a38ff_l.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite photos.

Isaac-Saxxon 08-03-2007 09:21 PM

Now this is fresh rhertz. You get you knife out and you soy and sushi in the boat :D This is a cow mahi and the big bright blue ones are the bulls they have a very large square looking head. This fish took just over a hour to land in the boat. Great fun great food.
Isaac

rhertz 08-03-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Now this is fresh rhertz. You get you knife out and you soy and sushi in the boat :D This is a cow mahi and the big bright blue ones are the bulls they have a very large square looking head. This fish took just over a hour to land in the boat. Great fun great food.

Wow the color in that fish is awesome. So the cows are yellow and the bulls are blue? Is that how it goes? Also I never heard of making sushi out of Mahi Mahi before. But I'd try it!

Isaac-Saxxon 08-03-2007 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Wow the color in that fish is awesome. So the cows are yellow and the bulls are blue? Is that how it goes? Also I never heard of making sushi out of Mahi Mahi before. But I'd try it!

Here is the Bull nice and blue. If you catch one they run in pairs so you will hook up on the other one and have a boat load of fish.
Attachment 1292

rhertz 08-03-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Here is the Bull nice and blue. If you catch one they run in pairs so you will hook up on the other one and have a boat load of fish.

I didn't know that. The only off shore fish I ever caught was a Bonito. Years later I saw on Iron Chef where the Japanese make a fish stock out of freeze dried Bonito flakes so I bought some. They taste great! Much better than Wylers chicken or beef boullion cubes. I have no idea if the Bonito I caught in Cozumel is the same as what the Japanese use.

My friends caught a Mahi Mahi that day and we ate it at a local restaurant and I told that story already. I remember it being brilliant yellow and blue, and not quite as yellow as your picture. Is the color also seasonal? I do remember that the color fades quickly once they are out of the water. When they jump in the air, they are gorgeous! (if you think fish can be gorgeous..LOL)

Isaac-Saxxon 08-03-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

I didn't know that. The only off shore fish I ever caught was a Bonito. Years later I saw on Iron Chef where the Japanese make a fish stock out of freeze dried Bonito flakes so I bought some. They taste great! Much better than Wylers chicken or beef boullion cubes. I have no idea if the Bonito I caught in Cozumel is the same as what the Japanese use.

My friends caught a Mahi Mahi that day and we ate it at a local restaurant and I told that story already. I remember it being brilliant yellow and blue, and not quite as yellow as your picture. Is the color also seasonal? I do remember that the color fades quickly once they are out of the water. When they jump in the air, they are gorgeous! (if you think fish can be gorgeous..LOL)

Bonito is in the tuna family but is very bloody and we use them for cut bait to catch small chicken mahi and sharks too. I am sure that Japanese Joe could make it where you could eat it ?

rhertz 08-03-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Bonito is in the tuna family but is very bloody and we use them for cut bait to catch small chicken mahi and sharks too. I am sure that Japanese Joe could make it where you could eat it ?

Well maybe that is why they shave it and freeze dry it for broth. Anyway I sure would like to catch a big fish with you someday... Or eat sushi someday.. You sure know fish!

Isaac-Saxxon 08-03-2007 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Well maybe that is why they shave it and freeze dry it for broth. Anyway I sure would like to catch a big fish with you someday... Or eat sushi someday.. You sure know fish!

I was born in the sign of water. Aquarius the water carrier.
Attachment 1294