Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sex Education - When Should It Start? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156)

sbl_admin 07-20-2007 08:02 AM

Sex Education - When Should It Start?

"How much sex education is age appropriate for a 5-year-old?" Romney asked Wednesday at a Colorado campaign stop. "In my view, zero is the right amount.

Texasbelle 07-20-2007 08:38 AM

Go Mr. Romney. There is no place for teaching five year olds sex education. They are not mentally mature enough to even begin to understand and comprehend anything they are being taught.

In my opinion, sex education is something that should be taught by the parents at HOME, not in the public school system. I do not want my children taught that homosexuality is a choice or that sex outside of marriage is acceptable. I will teach them what is biblically correct regarding sex, not some public, liberal school teacher.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-20-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Go Mr. Romney. There is no place for teaching five year olds sex education. They are not mentally mature enough to even begin to understand and comprehend anything they are being taught.

In my opinion, sex education is something that should be taught by the parents at HOME, not in the public school system. I do not want my children taught that homosexuality is a choice or that sex outside of marriage is acceptable. I will teach them what is Biblically correct regarding sex, not some public, liberal school teacher.

:goodpost2: :bravo: :goodpost2: :bravo: :goodpost2:

piemaker720 07-20-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

In my opinion, sex education is something that should be taught by the parents at HOME, not in the public school system. I do not want my children taught that homosexuality is a choice or that sex outside of marriage is acceptable. I will teach them what is biblically correct regarding sex, not some public, liberal school teacher.

So true Belle.:clap: :clap: :bravo: :bravo:

Pocahontas 07-20-2007 10:46 AM

Kindergarteners are you kidding me? I thought that was a joke.
But I do have to say in the public schools that my kids are in sex ed is introduced in Jr. high with a follow up in 9th grade. The parents must sign a waiver saying they can take the class. The majority of kids take it. You are made fun of if you don't take it because it is very obvious you are suddenly gone from PE. They separate the girls from the boys and for some this is the ONLY sex ed. these kids will ever hear about. So I feel if you have an open relationship with your kids the parts you don't agree with can be reiterated at home.:)

joepole 07-20-2007 01:21 PM

There is no such thing as too early to teach anyone about anything.

rhertz 07-20-2007 01:42 PM

I think it is important for children to know at a young age that it is not ok for anyone to touch them without their parent's permission, and if it happens, tell their parents all about it.

LateNight 07-20-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I think it is important for children to know at a young age that it is not ok for anyone to touch them without their parent's permission, and if it happens, tell their parents all about it.

so true. :goodpost2:

Texasbelle 07-20-2007 03:17 PM

Teaching a young child that it is not ok for someone to violate them and their private parts vs teaching the child regarding the act of sex are two entirely different things. You all know that. Don't pretend to be stupid. And yes Joe there is an age where they are too young to learn some things that are being their comprehension. The act of sex is one of those.

rhertz 07-20-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Teaching a young child that it is not ok for someone to violate them and their private parts vs teaching the child regarding the act of sex are two entirely different things.

Oh I agree. I think at the root of the discussion is the definition of "sex education" which I'm sure nobody could agree on. :) I'm sure libs would say that "private parts = sex". This is why I want to teach this stuff to my kids and not the government.

Pocahontas 07-20-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Teaching a young child that it is not ok for someone to violate them and their private parts vs teaching the child regarding the act of sex are two entirely different things. You all know that. Don't pretend to be stupid. And yes Joe there is an age where they are too young to learn some things that are being their comprehension. The act of sex is one of those.

SO true!! Good post Belle!:clap:

piemaker720 07-20-2007 05:21 PM

Yes, it should be up to the parents about how much sex education a kindergardener knows. Look at how many teachers are comimg out having sex with students.

Jesse 07-23-2007 01:38 AM

Well......
I'm of the opinion that sex ed begins at birth. First we teach our young ones proper names for anatomy, and we go from there as age appropriate at home. As far as abstinence/birth control, surely by age 9/10 a child should understand the basic workings of bodily functions.

joepole 07-23-2007 08:41 AM

I cannot imagine any parent wanting to keep their child ignorant of anything, ever.

Aximilli 09-20-2007 10:19 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic. Besides, it's a documented fact that male infants get an erection when breastfeeding. Sounds sick indeed but it's true. Sexuality starts developing right from infancy and kids start getting curious about "how babies are made" at around age 4-5. So I think some basic, age-appropriate sex ed is acceptable and even necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 17645)