Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Childhood Memories (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3075)

piemaker720 11-18-2007 05:11 PM

Childhood Memories

Here is one of my favorites. A couple of my friends and I went frog gigging one night, we caught about 75 to 100 that night. When we got to my dad's house, it was late, so dad told us to put the coker sack full of frogs in the corner of the dinning room and we would clean them the next morning. When we got up we went to clean the frogs and the sack was empty, it had a hole in the corner and all the frogs got out in my dad's house. We killed frogs for months, they were under the beds, in the closets, even in the fireplace. Dad kept a 22 pistol and when a frog would come hopping out he would shoot it. Well one was under his tv one night so he shot at it, only he missed the frog and shot his tv antenna wire into. Boy that was fun.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pocahontas 11-18-2007 06:56 PM

Pie, what a colorful childhood you've led! I wouldn't have faired very well at all in many of the situations you had to deal with...especially the frogs! :nono:

A fond memory I have is going up to Lake Darbonne in the summertime and my Daddy would swim in the lake with us and come out from under the pier or pontoon boat (you never quite knew where) as a Moss Monster! He would be covered in moss and mud and you never were sure where he was under that dark murky water. My daddy was and still is quite a cut up!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-18-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 24928)
Pie, what a colorful childhood you've led! I wouldn't have faired very well at all in many of the situations you had to deal with...especially the frogs! :nono:

A fond memory I have is going up to Lake Darbonne in the summertime and my Daddy would swim in the lake with us and come out from under the pier or pontoon boat (you never quite knew where) as a Moss Monster! He would be covered in moss and mud and you never were sure where he was under that dark murky water. My daddy was and still is quite a cut up!:laugh:

That was nice Pokie, time well spent with your dad and a lasting memory. I grew up being an outdoores kind of gal. Hunting, fishing and raising chickens and things. During hunting season, dad use to let us girls take turns missing school to go hunting with him.

piemaker720 11-19-2007 10:38 AM

Another story!
I had went coon hunting one night and the next morning I was cleaning a coon in the doorway of the back door. [I hung them from the top of the door facing to skin them.] I was halfway through with one when my sister rounded the corner in a hurry and ran smack into that coon. :laugh::laugh: Freaked her out!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-19-2007 07:05 PM

Another:
We was coon hunting one nite and when my husband shot the coon the darn thing fell out of the tree and landed right on top of my head. It was dead of coarse but it felt like a ton of bricks hit me. Darn near knocked my butt out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

vixweb 11-20-2007 01:10 AM

When I was a kid, we were into trapping-mostly coons, and nutria. We would get up @ 4:30 am before school to check them,(becuase I also had to feed the chickens & horses!)- you never knew what you'd get!:laugh: Back then you could get $ 25-35 for a good coon skin, so 4-6/day added up nicely! I haven't skinned anything in 20 years, but I could probably do it blind-folded! I was very blessed to grow up in the farmlands of south bossier. As John Denver said: Thank GOD I'm a country boy:D

joepole 11-20-2007 08:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that in 2007 anyone discharging a firearm indoors with children present would end up in jail. And you people gave me grief for driving 3 blocks with my kid out of a carseat?

piemaker720 11-20-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 25014)
I'm pretty sure that in 2007 anyone discharging a firearm indoors with children present would end up in jail. And you people gave me grief for driving 3 blocks with my kid out of a carseat?

And what in your stupid mind puts in the the year 2007. Are you desense this is childhood memories not yesterday? My frog gigging was 30 years ago, that's why it is childhood memories. No, people would not discharge firearms indoors with children now days, but back in my days things were more relaxed. If dad laid a gun on a table we knew better than to touch it.
Besides having a gun in your house is not illegal but driving with a child out of a carseat is.

joepole 11-20-2007 09:10 AM

What made you think I thought you were talking about 2007? I was contrasting how different today is from when you were little.

Discharging a firearm inside your house is probably illegal, as well. If you live in the city limits or within 100 feet of any road it's specifically illegal. If you live way out in the country it's up to a judge to decide if firing a gun indoors with children present constitutes an act that is "foreseeable that it may result in death or great bodily harm to a human being."

>No, people would not discharge firearms indoors with children now days, but back in my days things were more relaxed.

Wasn't that my point? What the hell is wrong with you?

piemaker720 11-20-2007 09:28 AM

<Wasn't that my point? What the hell is wrong with you?>

There is not a damn thing wrong with me but old age, You however the list is long. If you was not talking about 2007 then why bring it up to begin with?

joepole 11-20-2007 09:31 AM

Again, to contrast the difference between today and when you were little. Same point you made.

Al Swearengen 11-20-2007 06:37 PM

Somethin of an ass, isn't he? A snivelin ass.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-20-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25082)

I say he is not a ass but a rectum of sorts :laugh:

Texasbelle 11-20-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25082)

But he's a smart ass.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-20-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 25085)
But he's a smart ass.

Hey Belle I see your new boots there is that to cover veins ? Do not fall down or break a heel :laugh::laugh:

Texasbelle 11-20-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 25090)
Hey Belle I see your new boots there is that to cover veins ? Do not fall down or break a heel :laugh::laugh:

You know Pie...we have the dumb ass (joe) and now we have the wise ass(Isaac).

No Isaac, no veins. I'll submit to a stem inspection if needed.

Al Swearengen 11-20-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 25085)
But he's a smart ass.

In a way, yes. He can out-google damn near anybody!

rhertz 11-20-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 25091)

Oh, Oh, can I inspect your stern? :D :duck:

rhertz 11-20-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25096)
In a way, yes. He can out-google damn near anybody!

I like both Al and Joe. I consider you both to be pretty smart and I often relate to both of your viewpoints. Funny how you two go at it from a third party perspective. Perhaps opposites "poles" attract and like "poles" repel? :D :duck:

Al Swearengen 11-20-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 25098)
I like both Al and Joe. I consider you both to be pretty smart and I often relate to both of your viewpoints. Funny how you two go at it from a third party perspective. Perhaps opposites "poles" attract and like "poles" repel? :D :duck:

I like Joe too. He's wooden, dour, laconic, obsessed with minutia, and generally disagreeable. What's not to like?

piemaker720 11-20-2007 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 25091)
You know Pie...we have the dumb ass (joe) and now we have the wise ass(Isaac).

Now Belle I sure do like your new boots. Black uh, so when you kick Isaac's ass you won't be able to see the smear. :laugh::laugh: I posted a pic of Isaac on McDs but I'll put it here for you. Isaac in his true form.:laugh::laugh:

Attachment 1859

Love it. HeHe!

piemaker720 11-20-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25102)
I like Joe too. He's wooden, dour, laconic, obsessed with minutia, and generally disagreeable. What's not to like?

Like I said earlier his list goes on.

piemaker720 11-20-2007 08:57 PM

Come on Al, give us a long ago story.:):)

Al Swearengen 11-20-2007 09:16 PM

Well lets see, I remember this one hot summer evenin when I was eight or nine. It was late in the afternoon, about 4 or 5. My two brothers and I were summoned to the backyard, where there was a huge "table" (basically a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood on a couple of sawhorses) set up, with a big watermelon, a butcher knife and a salt shaker. After the whole fam had scarfed down the watermelon, my dad flipped over the plywood sheet, where we could all see that he'd painted that side dark green. Then he came out with a little net and some paddles and we all played pingpong, badminton and horseshoes till it got dark.

piemaker720 11-20-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25109)
Well lets see, I remember this one hot summer evenin when I was eight or nine. It was late in the afternoon, about 4 or 5. My two brothers and I were summoned to the backyard, where there was a huge "table" (basically a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood on a couple of sawhorses) set up, with a big watermelon, a butcher knife and a salt shaker. After the whole fam had scarfed down the watermelon, my dad flipped over the plywood sheet, where we could all see that he'd painted that side dark green. Then he came out with a little net and some paddles and we all played pingpong, badminton and horseshoes till it got dark.

:clap::clap::clap: very good Al.

purpahurl 11-20-2007 09:53 PM

I know someone who somtetimes views this website who has discharged a firearm indoors.:D:D:D

Unintentionaly of course, but it was a huge shock.

One time when I was about 15 I had a coon dog named Coon. A Catahoula. He was a puppy about 10 mos. me and my cousin were coon hunting along a big string of ponds and heard the dogs bark. They would only bark once the coon was treed. We were about 1/2 a mile away but it was all open land. When we got to the dogs, my dog and his 5 year old mother Susie, were in the middle of a lake and there was one cypress tree out there. We waded out to it and blew a predator call. Coons jumped out of that tree like rain. One of them jumped on my dog and he took off. A few minutes later I was standing in water up to my knees and a coon swam up to me and started climbing my leg. [i] could not get him off. The next thing I know I look up and here comes my dog over the levee of this lake straight for me and he grabs this coon by the neck and shakes him and keeps shaking him. I was never so proud of my dog. That was a great night. 21 years ago.

vixweb 11-20-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 25113)
I know someone on this thread who has discharged a firearm indoors.:D:D:D

Unintentionaly of course, but it was a huge shock.

Kind of a Barney Fife of sorts??:laugh:

purpahurl 11-20-2007 10:08 PM

I can't throw stones. I was shooting cowbirds feeding at my bird feeders last year. I had a nice blind set up in our sunroom, it was very cold, I had the window cracked and I was layed up on the couch with a 22 on pillows. The hunting was good. I reloaded and set my gun back up, I was looking through the scope at a fine specimen and fired. I blew the casing of a storm window out of the bricks. I felt pretty stupid. The barrel had dropped below the window casing, but the scope was still true.

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 10:24 PM

So Purpa you were shooting a firearm in your home? I hope you didn't have any kids present especially with that misfire! Shame, shame...:nono::eek:

purpahurl 11-20-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25117)
So Purpa you were shooting a firearm in your home? I hope you didn't have any kids present especially with that misfire! Shame, shame...:nono::eek:

I was teaching them what not to do. Education is the best policy.

They were probably watching Barney!

Actually if the kids had been in there then my targets would not have been feeding like I wanted.:D

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:36 PM

My dad one day after hunting was cleaning his shot gun. he looked down the barrel, stuck a cleaning rod down it, then held it up toward the wall and pulled the trigger. He blew a hole in the wall next to the very top of a window. There must have been a shell lodged, it scared the crap out of him.
He had to put the gun away for a while after he relized he had been turning the barrel up and looking down it.

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:38 PM

Hey Pokie, what you think of Isaac's pic?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 10:44 PM

I actually am in agreement with Joe on this thread. What are y'all doing discharging firearms in homes? I do understand that accidents happen especially in the Barney Fife situation y'all were discussing but come on! Purpa, kids in the house and shooting at targets out the window in a neighborhood? It doesn't matter if it was in the same room or not?! Are you sure you aren't really Jed Clampett?:eek:

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720 (Post 25123)
Hey Pokie, what you think of Isaac's pic?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one!! Looks like he's expecting someone to do all the cooking for him! Bet Mrs. Isaac has a surprise in store for him!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25125)
I actually am in agreement with Joe on this thread. What are y'all doing discharging firearms in homes? I do understand that accidents happen especially in the Barney Fife situation y'all were discussing but come on! Purpa, kids in the house and shooting at targets out the window in a neighborhood? It doesn't matter if it was in the same room or not?! Are you sure you aren't really Jed Clampett?:eek:

Accidents happen sure, but compared today with 30 or 40 years ago, people kept guns out in the open, not locked up, kids knew better than to touch them. You also never heard of people shooting others like in this day and time. Kids were better taught better back 30 years ago. People kept their guns on 2 nails on the wall or hanging in the window of a pick-up. Back then I guess we were all Jed Clampetts.

purpahurl 11-20-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25125)

Damn Strait, I was looking for some Texas Tea!!!

Notice the misspelling.:D

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720 (Post 25128)
Accidents happen sure, but compared today with 30 or 40 years ago, people kept guns out in the open, not locked up, kids knew better than to touch them. You also never heard of people shooting others like in this day and time. Kids were better taught better back 30 years ago. People kept their guns on 2 nails on the wall or hanging in the window of a pick-up. Back then I guess we were all Jed Clampetts.

Even when I was a child my Daddy had a gun that he kept in a locked drawer.
I'm sure glad he did because he was a city slicker and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.:D
On the other side of the family my mother's father was the town sheriff.
He was always cautious around us and only wore the gun if he was on duty. Of course we were never allowed to touch or go near it! I'm just surprised at how openly exposed to guns you were.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-21-2007 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25130)
I'm sure glad he did because he was a city slicker and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.:D
He was always cautious around us and only wore the gun if he was on duty. Of course we were never allowed to touch or go near it! I'm just surprised at how openly exposed to guns you were.

You just do not mess with the long arm of the law :nono:

piemaker720 11-21-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25130)

It is just not me. Country folks back years ago taught their kids what to touch and what not to. You don't remember ever seeing guys in pick-ups driving around with guns hanging on a rack in the window. The thing is they kept their guns there even when they were at home. I was hunting with my dad at the ageof 9 or 10 and we had our own gun a 410. We learned to shoot it and when not to. That was a way of life and I thinkthe now years are alot weirder than 30 years ago. We I was coon hunting, we use to go down a dirt road stick kitchen matches up in the sand and shoot them. If you could light the match then you could shoot a coon, because to sell the fur it needed to be shot in the head if it was shot anywhere else the hide was not as valueable. The matches developed very good aim.:)

Pocahontas 11-21-2007 09:13 AM

I do remember during deer season my brother and his friends having guns in their vehicles but that's the only time I saw them in there.