Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Historic Photos (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Comments on: herbie-k's on pierre (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972)

sbl_admin 07-03-2007 01:13 PM

Comments on: herbie-k's on pierre

Reader comments and feedback for the herbie-k's on pierre photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/pho...73448bf4_l.jpg

rhertz 07-03-2007 01:14 PM

What was this waiters name? Was it Jimmy? This is driving me nuts. He was there like 30 years or longer before he passed away.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-03-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
What was this waiters name? Was it Jimmy? This is driving me nuts. He was there like 30 years or longer before he passed away.

I think his name is Tom :D

joepole 07-03-2007 02:54 PM

What's bizarre for someone my age (3) is to see Pierre St. continue on past Herby K's.

rhertz 07-03-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
What's bizarre for someone my age (3) is to see Pierre St. continue on past Herby K's.

Heh I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out. I wonder what happened to old Pierre St?

rhertz 07-03-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I think his name is Tom :D

I'm certain his name was not Tom. It was jimmie or jimmy. He served me many a Shrimp Buster.

joepole 07-03-2007 04:06 PM

>What's bizarre for someone my age (3)

Yeah, that should be "30." I do, apparently, type like a three-year-old.

Pocahontas 07-03-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>What's bizarre for someone my age (3)

Yeah, that should be "30." I do, apparently, type like a three-year-old.

I thought maybe one of your toddlers had signed on under your avatar...I imagine they are pretty bright!;)

I didn't grow up in Shreveport so I can't relate to many of the historical sites you all are mentioning. But I know we came over here when I was a young girl and shopped downtown at Selbers and Rubensteins. I wonder what is in their place now? I don't get downtown hardly ever now. In later years we always ate at TGI Fridays.:D

Isabella 07-03-2007 11:58 PM

Aww,TGI Friday's. It was great food. Loved the fried artichoke hearts. I have eaten at others and they were not nearly as good. It was very disappointing when they closed.

salguodgrubmab 07-04-2007 04:32 AM

Jimmy Jenkins

joepole 07-04-2007 04:48 PM

TGI Fridays (at the corner of Spring and texas) is now The Blind Tiger.

The downtown department stores were before my time, so I can't tell you what's there now.

LateNight 07-04-2007 05:48 PM

Some of those old Texas Street pics are a trip.. the streets lined with folks all dressed up, and freakin' Shopping downtown.

I remember there being some little 'store' somewhere there closed to the Woolworth's .. and a Stan's record shop down near the end close to the church. I seem to remember all those being open in the mid 80's All gone now.. no one doing much "shopping" downtown anymore.

rhertz 07-05-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
Some of those old Texas Street pics are a trip.. the streets lined with folks all dressed up, and freakin' Shopping downtown.

I remember there being some little 'store' somewhere there closed to the Woolworth's .. and a Stan's record shop down near the end close to the church. I seem to remember all those being open in the mid 80's All gone now.. no one doing much "shopping" downtown anymore.

Growing up, I remember shopping Downtown at Selber's and Rubenstein's, but my favorite was United Jewelers which had everything from BB guns to tape recorders to watches to albums. I would study their catalog for hours on end, especially the toy section. I liked shopping downtown but I was too young for the raw oysters from Monsours...

rhertz 07-05-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab
Jimmy Jenkins

Thanks for the clarification sal... Makes me hungry for a Shrimp Buster just thinking about Jimmy...

As a kid, I remember the Indian Chief on the wall made with a .22 rifle. I always thought that was cool.

BTW if you want to make your own special Herby K sauce, I have come close by combining these ingredients:

Ketchup
Lemon
Sugar
A1 Steak sauce
Add water until desired consistency