Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Texas governor stirs controversy (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331)

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Look, guns are inherently dangerous. Theres no disputin that, ok? But its no different than teaching children not to grab pots and pans off the stove top and potentially scaldin themselves. Same thing with fire and matches. Same thing with sharp knives, or lawn mowers, or bathtubs, or electrical wall outlets, or any number of things that can cause injury if not handled properly. Education, education, education...gun safety is contingent on gun education. The importance of it cant be stressed enough.

I didn't say guns weren't dangerous.
I didn't say we need more gun control laws.
I didn't say you need to have your firearms taken away.
I didn't say we needed to infringe, appeal, or tamper with the right to bare arms in any way, shape, or form.

I said MORE guns doesn't equal less crime and I have more than proved that point with support of the Federal government.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
And thats ok sweety. Gun accidents DO happen, and if there are no guns in your household, theres a damn good chance there'll be no gun accidents. But Isabella, if ya dont have any guns in your home, I sure hope your family never has to suffer a home invasion, because you can bet the intruders will have them (guns)... And if that DOES happen, I hope that either the police respond in time or the thugs will be merciful.

1. Every "home invasion" isn't conducted with a firearm.
2. If you shoot an intruder in your home and he is UNarmed, and therefore your life was not in immediate danger, guess which one of you goes to jail that night. This is 2007, Al, not 1807, deal with it.

In most states a person can use deadly force when he perceives his life to be in danger, but not when only his personal property seems likely to be stolen.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-04-2007 06:40 AM

I am for all people owning guns that do not have a legal reason to own one. There is a way to get a gun permit if you have need to carry one. I do think that more people should get permits and carry a side arm. There is one thing that is a problem here. Schools have a no gun policy and that is OK in public schools like from high school on down but after that Universities are to wide open not to allow someone with a permit to carry a gun. I think a good idea for public schools would be to arm the teachers that would like to and the principal and assistant principal need a gun and training because they would be the first one to respond if a shooting took place at their school.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 06:49 AM

Yeah, then instead of the PE coach just molesting someones daughter, he can do it at gunpoint.

Ok, look guys, it's one thing to be in favor of the right to bare arms. I am 100% in favor of the Right of every adult American, not convicted of a felony, to own/carry a firearm when and where it's legal and appropriate.

.....but it's totally in ****ing sane to suggest everyone carry a gun and that we should even put them in our schools at all levels

Isaac-Saxxon 05-04-2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Yeah, then instead of the PE coach just molesting someones daughter, he can do it at gunpoint.

Ok, look guys, it's one thing to be in favor of the right to bare arms. I am 100% in favor of the Right of every adult American, not convicted of a felony, to own/carry a firearm when and where it's legal and appropriate.

.....but it's totally in ****ing sane to suggest everyone carry a gun and that we should even put them in our schools at all levels

I think that a few people on campus that have had training should have a side arm either in a safe or on their person. They do have school cops at the schools and I do not know if they carry a gun but if they dont they should. Once again with proper training and understanding of the law. I do not think it will happen but that is my opinion.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 07:17 AM

I don't know....

I have to say the potential risk of a kid being shot by a teacher, or with a teacher's stolen handgun are just to great of a risk by itself. All the training and safety measures in the world won't prevent every accident nor will it prevent every individual with intent to do harm, while a no gun policy prevents 100% of the accidental shootings at the VERY SLIM risk of one maniac coming in and shooting the place up. Yes I know you hear about it more often today than ever before, but still the ratio compared to the number of schools without shootings, in my opinion, doesn't justify this action.

Isabella 05-04-2007 07:51 AM

Guys I hate to disagree with you, but guns do not belong on any school campus including universities!

Isaac-Saxxon 05-04-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
Guys I hate to disagree with you, but guns do not belong on any school campus including universities!

We can agree to disagree but something needs to be done with kids having guns and crack too.

joepole 05-04-2007 08:49 AM

>I said MORE guns doesn't equal less crime and I have more than proved that point with support of the Federal government.

Whether or not I agree with you, you did not prove that.

>2. If you shoot an intruder in your home and he is Unarmed, and therefore your life was not in immediate danger, guess which one of you goes to jail that night. This is 2007, Al, not 1807, deal with it.

Either him (if he's alive) or nobody (if he's dead). It's perfectly legal in LA to shoot to death an unarmed intruder in your home (or car) even if you know he is unarmed and even if he's only attempting to enter your home or car.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>I said MORE guns doesn't equal less crime and I have more than proved that point with support of the Federal government.

Whether or not I agree with you, you did not prove that.

Actually I provided a graph from the Department of Justice that clearly shows firearm related crime is on the rise.

Play the Devil's Advocate to your heart's desire, that doesn't change one fact.
Quote:

>2. If you shoot an intruder in your home and he is Unarmed, and therefore your life was not in immediate danger, guess which one of you goes to jail that night. This is 2007, Al, not 1807, deal with it.

Either him (if he's alive) or nobody (if he's dead). It's perfectly legal in LA to shoot to death an unarmed intruder in your home (or car) even if you know he is unarmed and even if he's only attempting to enter your home or car.
Under Louisiana’s “Kill the Burglar” statute a homeowner can use deadly force against intruders in the home, without any obligation to retreat, if the homeowner reasonably believes that the intruder might use any unlawful force against anyone in the home.

Simply put, you sneak up on an unarmed burglar and shoot him, then you had no justifiable reason to believe unlawful force was going to be used against you....furthermore, I challenge you to find just one case where the homeowner was not charged when the intruder was not armed.

Neo 05-04-2007 12:04 PM

I think an easy way to solve this dilemma is to have a drop gun or knife. wipe fingerprints clean and through it down. Officer I saw that weapon in his hand and I went to shootin'. If you don't believe me officer just ask that criminal...... Oh dead men tell no tales

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
I think an easy way to solve this dilemma is to have a drop gun or knife. wipe fingerprints clean and through it down. Officer I saw that weapon in his hand and I went to shootin'. If you don't believe me officer just ask that criminal...... Oh dead men tell no tales

Now that is defiantly something we shouldn't be telling people.....

joepole 05-04-2007 12:16 PM

>Simply put, you sneak up on an unarmed burglar and shoot him, then you had no justifiable reason to believe unlawful force was going to be used against you

Incorrect. The law assumes that if the person you killed had unlawfully entered your home or was in the process of unlawfully entering your home and you were aware of this fact then you had reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary.

joepole 05-04-2007 12:17 PM

Drop guns and knives are not necessary because it is not illegal to kill an unarmed unlawful intruder (or attempted intruder).

Neo 05-04-2007 12:19 PM

If there is a stranger in my house that definitely constitues immenent danger, and I will be looking for a centermass shot as opposed to a weapon or a cop (that may be there in 45 minutes if I'm lucky).:eek:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-04-2007 12:19 PM

I think here in recent news that Tyrone got shot over on Union Street by some old black man and it kilt him and no charges came out of it and he was not armed or his buddy that ran off either.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

>Simply put, you sneak up on an unarmed burglar and shoot him, then you had no justifiable reason to believe unlawful force was going to be used against you

Incorrect. The law assumes that if the person you killed had unlawfully entered your home or was in the process of unlawfully entering your home and you were aware of this fact then you had reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary.

Then you should be able to cite multiple cases....I'm just asking for one. I can't seem to find any.

joepole 05-04-2007 12:23 PM

>I challenge you to find just one case where the homeowner was not charged when the intruder was not armed.

Unnecessary, the law is quite clear. Even so, the famous Yoshihiro Hattori is a great example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

I challenge you to find one case under modern LA law where a homeowner was prosecuted for killing an unarmed intruder, especially one already inside the dwelling.

LateNight 05-04-2007 12:24 PM

Castle Doctrine

HB 1097 is the companion bill to HB 89 (also by Representative LaFleur), the NRA-supported “Castle Doctrine” bill which created presumptions in law for the use of force against intruders in your home, car or place of business and explicitly states in law that you have no “duty to retreat” from criminal attack if you are in a place where you have a legal right to be.

Castle Doctrine refers to a legal concept derived from English Common Law as it is presently applied in sections of the United States of America. It designates one's home (or any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protections from both prying and violent attack. In the United States, laws informally referred to as 'castle laws' can sometimes impose an obligation to retreat before using force to defend oneself. The Castle Doctrine provides for an exception to this duty. Provided one is attacked in their own home, vehicle, or place of business, in jurisdictions where 'castle laws' are in force, one may stand their ground against an assailant without fear of prosecution.

The opposite of a "castle" principle is the "Duty to Retreat", which is the case in most U.S. Northeastern states, such as Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts[1] (where Castle Doctrine takes effect only within the confines of the 'dwelling'). Castle Doctrine laws in the U.S. are sometimes referred to as the "use of deadly force" [2] or "no retreat" laws, and originate in the home, but are sometimes (depending on the state) extended to the automobile or the business or any place where one has a legal right to be (a campground or park, for example).

Neo 05-04-2007 12:27 PM

I think the ACLU wants the criminals to have more rights than the law abiding citizen. I say if you enter a house you don't own, rent nor invited into get ready for consequences..... Try breaking into the White House a see what happens- The Secret Service will skin that smoke wagon and go to work.:peace:

joepole 05-04-2007 12:30 PM

>Then you should be able to cite multiple cases

Not really, if it's clear that something is legal it isn't very likely to ever be a criminal case. For instance, can you find a single case where someone picked their nose and wasn't convicted for it?

The law (have you actually read it?) is absolutely clear that it is legal to kill an unarmed intruder in your home, so there are obviously almost no cases in which a homeowner that does so enters the justice system.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
If there is a stranger in my house that definitely constitues immenent danger, and I will be looking for a centermass shot as opposed to a weapon or a cop (that may be there in 45 minutes if I'm lucky).:eek:

You're choice, but I'm telling you the law doesn't automatically provide you with a free ride.

Just like hunting, you don't shoot at moving bushes, or shadows in your home. You must identify your target first. Failure to do so constitutes negligence on your part. Once you see the person, and they are unarmed and making no aggressive action towards them, then you cannot legally shoot them.

I think the disagreement here is I'm telling you what's right and wrong and you are telling me what you could get away with in court

joepole 05-04-2007 12:36 PM

>You're choice, but I'm telling you the law doesn't automatically provide you with a free ride.

Yes, it does. A person legally inside a dwelling has a presumption holding a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary if confronted by a person who is not lawfully inside a dwelling (or car or place of business).

>I'm telling you what's right and wrong and you are telling me what you could get away with in court

I'm telling you what the law explicitly states. You're making incorrect statements about a topic of which you obviously have little knowledge. Google is a terrible legal research tool.

Neo 05-04-2007 12:39 PM

As for negligence, that was the criminal breaking into my house.

As for the court, history has shown if you have the money, a great lawyer, and a judge that plays golf with your lawyer,,, you pretty much have it made.

Screw the criminals, when he entered my has illegally, he gave up all his rights. Let the ACLU get raped, pillaged, and murdered... not me!

LateNight 05-04-2007 12:40 PM

I tried it once, I'll try it again..

HB 1097 is the companion bill to HB 89 (also by Representative LaFleur), the NRA-supported “Castle Doctrine” bill which created presumptions in law for the use of force against intruders in your home, car or place of business and explicitly states in law that you have no “duty to retreat” from criminal attack if you are in a place where you have a legal right to be.

Castle Doctrine refers to a legal concept derived from English Common Law as it is presently applied in sections of the United States of America. It designates one's home (or any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protections from both prying and violent attack. In the United States, laws informally referred to as 'castle laws' can sometimes impose an obligation to retreat before using force to defend oneself. The Castle Doctrine provides for an exception to this duty. Provided one is attacked in their own home, vehicle, or place of business, in jurisdictions where 'castle laws' are in force, one may stand their ground against an assailant without fear of prosecution.

The opposite of a "castle" principle is the "Duty to Retreat", which is the case in most U.S. Northeastern states, such as Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts[1] (where Castle Doctrine takes effect only within the confines of the 'dwelling'). Castle Doctrine laws in the U.S. are sometimes referred to as the "use of deadly force" [2] or "no retreat" laws, and originate in the home, but are sometimes (depending on the state) extended to the automobile or the business or any place where one has a legal right to be (a campground or park, for example).

Isaac-Saxxon 05-04-2007 01:55 PM

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE:

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords, bombs, rockets, and grenades?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. "Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you NOT understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

15 Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their job safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the "gun CRIME control laws" we ALREADY have, don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

26. "A government of the people, by the people, for the people..." TOTAL BULL ****!!

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

>You're choice, but I'm telling you the law doesn't automatically provide you with a free ride.

Yes, it does. A person legally inside a dwelling has a presumption holding a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary if confronted by a person who is not lawfully inside a dwelling (or car or place of business).

>I'm telling you what's right and wrong and you are telling me what you could get away with in court

I'm telling you what the law explicitly states. You're making incorrect statements about a topic of which you obviously have little knowledge. Google is a terrible legal research tool.

No I quoted the law, you have done no such thing.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
As for negligence, that was the criminal breaking into my house.

As for the court, history has shown if you have the money, a great lawyer, and a judge that plays golf with your lawyer,,, you pretty much have it made.

Screw the criminals, when he entered my has illegally, he gave up all his rights. Let the ACLU get raped, pillaged, and murdered... not me!

The ACLU won't be going to the slammer (you know why the call the slammer) if you kill an unarmed man.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
I tried it once, I'll try it again..

You are absolutely correct, except a breaking and entering doesn't constitute an attack. Nice of you to highlight where you went wrong in order to save me the trouble.

LateNight 05-04-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
You are absolutely correct, except a breaking and entering doesn't constitute an attack. Nice of you to highlight where you went wrong in order to save me the trouble.

A big part of the Castle Doctrine and this bill is that it prevents potential victims of having to SECOND guess whether or not an intruder has a gun or a knife.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
A big part of the Castle Doctrine and this bill is that it prevents potential victims of having to SECOND guess whether or not an intruder has a gun or a knife.

Provided one is attacked in their own home, vehicle, or place of business, in jurisdictions where 'castle laws' are in force, one may stand their ground against an assailant without fear of prosecution.

Yes, you have every right to defend yourself, but the presence of another person in your home DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY constitute a threat of physical harm against you or your family.

joepole 05-04-2007 04:16 PM

Yes, it does. Please cite one case where it did not.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 04:18 PM

Now I'm not suggesting you risk your life second guessing by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying you aren't automatically given a free ride just because the shooting victim was in your home.

LateNight 05-04-2007 04:18 PM

a person using force had a reasonable fear of death or serious injury to himself or another if

(a) the person against whom he used force was illegally and forcefully entering a dwelling or occupied vehicle, was in the process of doing so, or removed or was attempting to remove a person against his will and

(b) the person using force knew or had reason to believe this was occurring.

joepole 05-04-2007 04:19 PM

I have to ask again, have you ever actually read the law you are pretending to know about? it doesn't seem like it.

If so, how do you ever interpret:

"...there shall be a presumption that a person lawfully inside a dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle held a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent unlawful entry thereto, or to compel an unlawful intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle, if both of the following occur:

(1) The person against whom deadly force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.

(2) The person who used deadly force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry was occurring or had occurred."

...to mean anything remotely like what you're saying it does?

joepole 05-04-2007 04:20 PM

>I'm just saying you aren't automatically given a free ride just because the shooting victim was in your home.

It's evident that you're saying that, but it's also evident that you're wrong.

LateNight 05-04-2007 04:33 PM

A texas senator speaks of supporting the "Castle Doctrine" bill,
Jeff Wentworth

Quote:

Texans who are attacked in their homes, their businesses, their vehicles or anywhere else they have a right to be should have the right to defend themselves without fear of criminal prosecution or civil litigation.
To make that right a reality, I intend to file a bill in the Texas Senate that would give potential victims of crime broader power to protect themselves, their relatives and their property.

Since I announced my intention to file a bill that would turn the concept of a “man’s home is his castle that he has a right to defend” into state law, Senators Robert Deuell, Chris Harris, Kyle Janek, Jane Nelson and Tommy Williams have joined me as co-authors. Other senators, including Senators Robert Duncan and Judith Zaffirini, have expressed interest in the bill, which would do away with Texas’ “duty to retreat.”

Current Texas law effectively imposes a duty to attempt to retreat before using force against an intruder. Texans who do not attempt to escape before using force to protect their homes, their businesses or their vehicles may be criminally prosecuted and face possible civil suits alleging wrongful injury or death.

Under my bill, if enacted into law, a person would be presumed to be acting reasonably in using force, including deadly force, against an attacker or intruder who unlawfully enters into that person’s home, occupied vehicle or place of business or employment.

The bill would make it clear that citizens are not obligated to retreat if they are attacked in places where they have a right to be and are not the initial aggressors or engaged in criminal activities. Aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery and aggravated robbery would all be considered justification for deadly force.

Finally, the bill would protect people using justified force from lawsuits filed by injured criminal attackers and their families.

Fourteen states, including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Michigan, have passed “Castle Doctrine” laws, and other states are considering them. The “Castle Doctrine” was the law in Texas prior to 1974. At that time, the law was changed, making the use of deadly force justifiable only if a reasonable person would not have retreated.

I do not believe that the law should require me to wait and decide if someone who is breaking into my home or office or attempting to hijack my car intends to harm me or a member of my family. The law should allow me to use immediate force to protect myself, my family and my property without fear of being charged with a crime or being sued.

Although the courts have traditionally upheld the spirit of the “Castle Doctrine” when men and women who were being attacked have responded with force, I want the spirit of the law to become the letter of the law in Texas.
it would seem to me the heart of this whole discussion, is what is at the heart of the whole Castle Doctrine type bills.

Somebody breaks into my home. I don't have to guess or wonder if he has a knife or a gun, or whatever.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, it does. Please cite one case where it did not.

Well I hate that you actually requesting that I look that crap up, but here goes.

I didn't find an actual "case" to support my stance, but I also couldn't find one to support yours. I every single case I found where charges were dropped or never filed were when the perp in fact had a weapon or had attacked someone.

However, I DID find some interesting information on the "shoot first" bill which is what you are REALLY referring to (don't worry, I didn't know it either). The "right" to shoot someone in your home regardless of the perceived intention of the intruder.

http://www.licensetomurder.com/main.php

This website, last updated 4/30/07 shows that many states, including Louisiana and Texas, in fact DO NOT have shoot first laws. I'm sure if you're really interested, they'll have the specific data you are looking for.

Quote:

Somebody breaks into my home. I don't have to guess or wonder if he has a knife or a gun, or whatever.
In Louisiana, yes you do.

BrainSmashR 05-04-2007 04:49 PM

License to Murder Killer Ruled Guilty by Jury, Law Still on the Books

joepole 05-04-2007 04:56 PM

>In Louisiana, yes you do.

No, you don't.