Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Recreation (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Bird Migration (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2896)

purpahurl 10-28-2007 12:38 AM

Bird Migration

Any bird enthuesiests out there? I feel like I'm pissing in the wind with this thread but! The recent fronts coming through have stirred up a migration. We have lots of stuff that will not stay here but are passing through. particularly gulls and peregrin falcons, several other species that just go straight to South America. The gulls will stay. White Pelicans are already here. No they are not Geese! Ducks are just now moving through. Usually way up high. Cormorants are moving back in BAHH! If you feed birds, the White Throated sparrows are here, that tells me fall/winter is here. You will start to notice a lot more Hawks on the power lines and trees now. This is a wonderfull time when the seasons change. Anyway, I hope y'all will take notice.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-28-2007 06:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23547)
Any bird enthusiasts out there? I feel like I'm pissing in the wind with this thread but! The recent fronts coming through have stirred up a migration. We have lots of stuff that will not stay here but are passing through. particularly gulls and peregrine falcons, several other species that just go straight to South America. The gulls will stay. White Pelicans are already here. No they are not Geese! Ducks are just now moving through. Usually way up high. Cormorants are moving back in BAHH! If you feed birds, the White Throated sparrows are here, that tells me fall/winter is here. You will start to notice a lot more Hawks on the power lines and trees now. This is a wonderful time when the seasons change. Anyway, I hope y'all will take notice.

While sitting in my deer stand yesterday I had quite a few squirrels running around and a out of nowhere a red tail hawk almost caught one and then he landed in a tree right next to me. One look at me and off he went :laugh: I have a Coopers Hawk that catches sparrows around my garden. I like the Junco's that come to my house. It is a very nice past time. Where is Miss Jane when you need her ?

Attachment 1702

You know Elly May could talk to them critters. I wonder if she ever found her a man ? :rotflol:
Attachment 1703

Cooper Hawk
Attachment 1704
Dark Eyed Junco
Attachment 1705

Pocahontas 10-28-2007 10:14 AM

We threw birdseed out in our backyard for a couple of seasons and boy did the sparrows flock to our backyard. We also attracted quails, cardinals, grackels, mockingbirds, doves and some kind of red headed bird. Unfortunately we had to put a stop to this because it also attracted mice!:nono:

purpahurl 10-28-2007 06:33 PM

On the river today two mature Bald Eagles were flying around like you might see on TV flapping and twisting, soaring, very cool! The gulls are starting to move through.

purpahurl 10-28-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 23551)
While sitting in my deer stand yesterday I had quite a few squirrels running around and a out of nowhere a red tail hawk almost caught one and then he landed in a tree right next to me. One look at me and off he went :laugh: I have a Coopers Hawk that catches sparrows around my garden. I like the Junco's that come to my house. It is a very nice past time. Where is Miss Jane when you need her ?

Attachment 1702

You know Elly May could talk to them critters. I wonder if she ever found her a man ? :rotflol:
Attachment 1703

Cooper Hawk
Attachment 1704
Dark Eyed Junco
Attachment 1705

The Juncos will be here soon, also one of my favorite. White Throat Sparrows and Song Sparrows are here along with some Flycatchers. I posted earlier about Hawks. We've had a fallout, there everywhere.

Texasbelle 10-28-2007 07:38 PM

I love this thread!!! Living out in the country I have lots of birds. Don't know the names of lots of them that stop by but boy do we get so many.

Here's my cool bird story though... every day when we drive into town there is a hawk we see. He is always in the Pines Rd /3132 Interchange area sitting on the top of a light pole. He or it could be a she is there every day. It's our fun thing to look for him. We' ve even seen him pluck up a little grass snake as they were cutting grass! I need to take out my camera one day and snap his picture. He actually amuses me sitting there on a light pole watching the interestate!

rhertz 10-28-2007 07:48 PM

I used to live on Cross Lake 15+ years ago. I lived there for 11 years and there was a Bald Eagle nest right out of our window. For years Mrs Hertz and I would see the eagles return over and over. Quite a sight...

Now we live in South Shreveport and there is a hawk that lives across the street. The Pug is very scared of the hawk. I'm sure the Pug weights more, but they are about the same size.. Enough to make her uncomfortable when she senses the hawk circling above..

purpahurl 10-28-2007 08:10 PM

I have kept a life list(that is something birders do for all the species they have seen) since I was twelve. Cross Lake back in the day was one of the few places you could go and count Bald Eagles. Squirrel Point was where they were. I'm not an environmentalists by any means, but when they developed this site, the Eagles left. Now, fortunately, they are always up and down the river. They seem to fly between Wallace lake and the river with regularity. Also White Pelicans were a rarity here until the river project. Sometimes on Cross Lake and one on Bistineau when I was in college. Now they are residents in the winter.

purpahurl 10-28-2007 08:37 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some samples of what you will get if you scatter seeds on the ground. These birds wil not eat from a hanging feeder, but will tear it up on a platform or the ground.

purpahurl 10-28-2007 08:54 PM

I don't intend to harp on this, but if anyone out there feeds birds and has problems with Grackles and House Sparrows, don't keep food out all day long. these birds will eat it all. The good birds will come after these leave but you have to get them established to coming to your yard first, then you can start controlling when you put food out. This time of year it's about 5:00, the birds you want will also feed on this very early, enough time to see them before you leave for work.

rhertz 10-28-2007 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Purpa, I'm a total amateur compared to you. but we do feed birds in the winter most years. I have a "finch bag" with thistle and also a seed feeder on a pole with the usual mixture of safflower, millet, sunflower, etc. We use a pair of binaculars to get a good view. We get a pretty good mixture dispite the fact that we keep the feeders stocked 24/7... Only finches will stick to the thistle bag. We get "golden finches" I do believe. Again, I'm not much for looking stuff up.

However we do get these bigass woodpeckers out here.. Pileated Woodpecker? They are huge.

Attachment 1717

We also see red-belly and red-head woodies... But I miss the ducks on Cross Lake the most. Grey ducks (Gadwalls) and woodducks.. Lots of water turkeys (cormorants) which seem to be ever present.

the White Herrings out on Cross Lake are specticle. Especially when they go poop. Like dumping a quart of white paint on the rooftops of boat houses... :D

purpahurl 10-28-2007 10:44 PM

The finch bag is pretty cool. Only put thistles in it. Gold finches, House finches, chickadees and titmouse can feed on this. That Pileated Woodpecker is very common here. Those are awesome. Red Bellied woodpeckers will eat out of a hanging or stationairy feeder. Red Headed woodpeckers prefer tall dead trees with alot of open space. I had two last fall at my house for the first time. I live in south S'port and my back yard backs up to two bayous. I get alot of stuff you normally would not get in town. As far as the Gadwall go, they are more common now than ever before. A common problem with feeding birds is filling your hanging feeder with mixed seed. This seed needs to be spread on the ground or on a platform. Sunflower seed or plain millet should only be put in hanging feeders. The results are instant.

rhertz 10-30-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23599)
The finch bag is pretty cool. Only put thistles in it. Gold finches, House finches, chickadees and titmouse can feed on this. That Pileated Woodpecker is very common here. Those are awesome. Red Bellied woodpeckers will eat out of a hanging or stationairy feeder. Red Headed woodpeckers prefer tall dead trees with alot of open space. I had two last fall at my house for the first time. I live in south S'port and my back yard backs up to two bayous. I get alot of stuff you normally would not get in town. As far as the Gadwall go, they are more common now than ever before. A common problem with feeding birds is filling your hanging feeder with mixed seed. This seed needs to be spread on the ground or on a platform. Sunflower seed or plain millet should only be put in hanging feeders. The results are instant.

yeah the finches are fun. Woodpeckers are cool as long as they are not rapping on my chimney! I'm near a large pond and that helps bring in some unusual creatures. Bluebirds and hummingbirds are two more favorites that haven't been mentioned yet. I have been successful at attracting hummers with flowers and feeders, but bluebirds are a random sighting for me. I even enjoy watching bats feed on insects in the summer.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody have a bat house ? I hear these guys can eat more bug than Martins.
Attachment 1726

Attachment 1727

Morpheus 11-08-2007 08:17 PM

duck and goose season opens this weekend!