Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Board Games (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3166)

Pocahontas 12-02-2007 09:47 PM

Board Games

This thread may go nowhere but I was just curious does anyone play boardgames? I've been accused of being nerdy over this so just wondering if anyone else enjoys them?!
I like Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit and Cranium but of course they must be played with a fun group and a little alcohol helps make it entertaining as well.
I like RIFF and Scene It on DVD.:)

Morpheus 12-02-2007 09:54 PM

I like cranium and scene it too. I also like trivial pursuit and monopoly, but no one will play those with me anymore. We used to do a family game night every Tuesday, but we stopped. I think I'll start it up again.

AnimeSpirit 12-02-2007 10:18 PM

I like Monopoly, but I never seem to win at it.

Al Swearengen 12-02-2007 10:57 PM

Any chess players besides me and LateNight?

AnimeSpirit 12-02-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25910)

I've hooked a Fool's Mate once or twice.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-03-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25910)

I do not play board games but if and when I do Chess is a great game. Be a thinker not a stinker :D

piemaker720 12-03-2007 08:24 AM

I would rather play card games like Rook, Gin Rummy and Solitaire.

Pocahontas 12-03-2007 08:24 AM

My dad taught me to play Chess when I was younger, but I haven't played in years! I'm not as patient as I used to be. Mr. P asks me all the time to please just sit down for a minute! ;)

AnimeSpirit 12-03-2007 08:58 AM

In recent years, I've gotten into Yu-Gi-Oh! It's a popular card game from Japan, not unlike Magic: The Gathering.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a strategy game involving monsters and spell cards that you can use to attack your opponent and decrease his life points. Whoever loses all of their points loses the game. It's actually a lot of fun.

Princess Leia 12-03-2007 10:07 AM

Having small kids, playing games with friends is one way to change things up a bit without having to pay a babysitter. I am like Pokie. I like games that need to be played in a group.

Pocahontas 12-03-2007 02:12 PM

I also play Pokeno with my friends once a month. We each host at our houses and provide lunch and cash prizes. It is alot like Bingo with everyone taking turns turning cards over one at a time and calling them out one by one til you fill a row horizontally or vertically. It's fun and a good time to catch up on the latest with everyone.:)

rhertz 12-03-2007 02:27 PM

I like chess, checkers, and backgammon. But I haven't played in years. LOL, anyone remember the old Chinese Checkers boards in the 70's? Those were pretty weird. I'm not sure we ever played the right rules. I'm sure they still sell them, but it is from back in the 70's that I remember getting them as birthday presents....

Pocahontas 12-03-2007 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do y'all remember the labyrinth that was impossible to win!? You had to rotate that board around with those little knobs and try not to let the marble drop in the holes! No way!:nono:

Attachment 1917

rhertz 12-03-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25967)
Do y'all remember the labyrinth that was impossible to win!? You had to rotate that board around with those little knobs and try not to let the marble drop in the holes! No way!:nono:

My brother and neighbor across the street had those. My brother completed it a few times. I never could do it.

Morpheus 12-03-2007 09:44 PM

I played a lot of chess in college. We used to sometimes play until 5 am.

j.nc 12-03-2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25967)

Attachment 1917

Bravo Pocs - labyrinth - thx for the memories!
Chess - had a friend, Jim M. in HS that played me and 3 others all at one blind folded. He beat me and I think the others too. Look up Byrd Chess Club 1975.
Backgammon -A GF loved to play that and Go. We'd always play it on the floor. Her mother used to wryly comment that it was not typical for ruthless opponents to play a game snuggled together on the same side of the game board.

Then there's that... not a board game... thing my wife does with the neighborhood ladies. Google the string "women dice loud" and BUNCO is one of the top hits. I swear, when she hosts the bunco night at our house the cackle [helped along with wine and booze] is so loud we can't hear the TV on the 2nd floor. So now the boys and I learned to clear out.

Pocahontas 12-04-2007 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1918
This game frightened me! There were always scary stories related to it!:nono:

There's this other contraption/game thing that I can't recall the name of.
You had this wooden base with circular slots in it. Above it were two metal rods that you manipulated in and out to make this large steel marble roll up and down then you tried to drop it into the slots. It got harder the further apart you pulled the metal arms. I think one version had planet names on it and others had numbers for points value. Oh well I haven't been able to find a pic. due to not knowing what to call the thing.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-04-2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25980)
Attachment 1918

You had this wooden base with circular slots in it. Above it were two metal rods that you manipulated in and out to make this large steel marble roll up and down then you tried to drop it into the slots. It got harder the further apart you pulled the metal arms. I think one version had planet names on it and others had numbers for points value. Oh well I haven't been able to find a pic. due to not knowing what to call the thing.

Pokie is burning the midnight oil with familiar spirits :rolleyes: Anybody ever play battleship ??

j.nc 12-04-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Shoot the Moon!
Ours had the names of major world cities.

Pocahontas 12-04-2007 02:47 PM

Yes that is most certainly it! Thanks j.nc!:D

I loved Battleship too IS! The original one with the pegs was much better than the electronic one later!:)

Isaac-Saxxon 12-04-2007 05:48 PM

Then came computer games. Duke Nukem, Doom, Heretic, Descent, Quake, Quake II and Hexen. I gave it up for reading and enjoying the outdoors. The board games I must say would much less stressing. I will still go with Chess.

rhertz 12-04-2007 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 25981)
Anybody ever play battleship ??

I'm sure every boy from our generation played battleship at least once. I even remember the tv commercial.. "You sunk my battleship".. :(

How about "operation"?

Attachment 1927

And "Mousetrap"?

Attachment 1928

Al Swearengen 12-04-2007 07:09 PM

How about Risk? Now there was a saga of a game! Could take days to finish. Or how about Stratego? That was a crowd pleaser.

Pocahontas 12-04-2007 08:26 PM

I loved Operation but it made me jump everytime that buzzer went off so I wasn't very good at it due to jittery hands!:laugh:

rhertz 12-04-2007 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Attachment 1918

Me too Pokey! A neighbor had one of these and we would have sayonces (sp?) in the dark with a candle and I would always run away...

Quote:

I remember that thing. I have no idea what it was called. This pic is as close as I could find.

Attachment 1932

Pocahontas 12-04-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 26030)
Me too Pokey! A neighbor had one of these and we would have sayonces (sp?) in the dark with a candle and I would always run away...

I remember that thing. I have no idea what it was called. This pic is as close as I could find.

Attachment 1932

I hated seances too!:nono:

j.nc already posted me a link to Shoot the Moon and his pic was the exact same one I had. Fun to think back isn't it?

j.nc 12-04-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26040)
j.nc already posted me a link to Shoot the Moon and his pic was the exact same one I had....

:p

--------------
more board games from my dim past and maybe yours too.

Candyland [just recalled always cheating my little bro by faking a 7 roll fromthe starting point so i could take the "rainbow bridge" shortcut]
http://www.eatingliberally.org/files.../Candyland.jpg

Uncle Wiggly (this one ws kinda freaky for a little kid - click to look at some of the graphics! The Skeeziks in our version looked like a mutated crow)
http://gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/Virt...y/wigolder.jpg

Chutes and Ladders: Don't hitsquare 87!!!!
http://vip.cs.utsa.edu/classes/cs477...dderssmall.gif

Pocahontas 12-05-2007 09:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I never did quite "get" Uncle Wiggly! It seemed complicated and it seems like we just skipped over several parts and made up our own rules!:confused:

I thought of a couple more remember Trouble and that plastic dome that you clicked to roll the dice? And what about Sorry?
Attachment 1937

Attachment 1938

rhertz 12-05-2007 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26068)
I thought of a couple more remember Trouble and that plastic dome that you clicked to roll the dice? And what about Sorry?

Yeah those were old classics... Played them both many times.

This isn't a board game, but I used to love the Mattel Thing Makers... There were several themes. The one below as called "Creepy Crawlers" which was my favorite... You would squirt "goo" into a mold and bake it and presto, a rubbery thing is born!

Attachment 1939

Pocahontas 12-05-2007 10:06 PM

Great memories rhertz!!! I loved those creepy crawlers. I can't tell you how many times I burnt myself baking those guys! It's amazing what toys we were allowed to play with back then.:eek:
Remember those home Chemistry sets and those wood burning tools? It's a wonder we didn't blow up or burn down the neighborhood?:laugh:

j.nc 12-05-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 26072)
Yeah those were old classics... Played them both many times.

This isn't a board game, but I used to love the Mattel Thing Makers... There were several themes. The one below as called "Creepy Crawlers" which was my favorite... You would squirt "goo" into a mold and bake it and presto, a rubbery thing is born!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
It's amazing what toys we were allowed to play with back then!

LMAO - oh yes! My Mom still has the old set back home. They'd NEVER sell something like that now because of the liabilities of burns etc. I remember my Erector Set - an old one even for the day-had a open top transformer with exposed coils... maybe it had lost the lid but still...

Are people just stupider now to get hurt or was it just accepted more back then that you had to take resonable care or else accept it was your own stupid fault to get hurt -accept your own responsibility.

What was the first "toy" to set it all off? Lawn Darts? Now that, no matter how well managed is an invitation to disaster. Hadfulls of spikey winged weighted arrows flung up in the air by young uncoordinated fists in a yard full of softheaded tykeshttp://www.stickfort.com/images/news.../lawndarts.jpg
yes, we got them for xmas one year too.

Morpheus 12-05-2007 11:54 PM

I see many Morph family favorites. We still own operation, sorry, and stratego. I never had the patience for risk. I never had mousetrap, but I always wanted one.

Al Swearengen 12-06-2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26082)
I see many Morph family favorites. We still own operation, sorry, and stratego. I never had the patience for risk. I never had mousetrap, but I always wanted one.

Yeah, as I said, Risk is one "saga of a game", and requires alot of free time, plenty of "Black Label", "Milwaukee's Best", "Meister Brau" or other cheap brew that teenagers can afford, along with a supply of your dad's cigars. Back in the 80's when my brother and I were in highschool, we'd sometimes skip class and get together with a bunch of other hooligans at our home's garage that had been converted into a game room. We had a huge table back there, a fridge stocked with the cheapass beer we drank and plenty of my dad's stogies, and we'd be back there playin Risk startin around 11:00 am., playin well into the afternoon. Ah yes, those were the days!

Damn...all this reminiscin's got me missin my brother.