Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Freeway bridge collapses into river during rush hour in Minneapolis (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309)

sbl_admin 08-01-2007 08:09 PM

Freeway bridge collapses into river during rush hour in Minneapolis

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- A four-lane interstate bridge spanning the Mississippi River collapsed during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles and tons of concrete crashing into the water.

rhertz 08-01-2007 10:28 PM

My heart and prayers go out to the families of these people on who were on the bridge when it went down. It's sort of hard to watch these tragedies on CNN and FOX because it reminds me of 9/11 and shuttle crashes.

LateNight 08-01-2007 10:54 PM

just saw the news report.. that's crazy. I'll be sure to remember that, next time I take the Bridge on I-10 heading over the Mississippi :)

http://www.caseyjones.net/imagelinks/bridge.jpg

vixweb 08-02-2007 07:19 AM

Our tax dollars at work! I've already heard reports that the Governor and legislatior in MN. have been battleing over a DOT bill-Think about this next time you cross the RED on I-20!:eek: Do you think LADOT is taking care of US? So far, I guess....
Very sad-

sbl_admin 08-02-2007 07:26 AM

Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

FOX NEWS -- Aug 2 2007 7:26 AM
Rush Hour Bridge Collapse Kills 7 in Minneapolis

Texasbelle 08-02-2007 08:05 AM

I've always had a fear of high bridges like this one that collapsed. Every time I cross the one in Baton Rouge I am praying it stays in place till I get to the other side. The worst bridge I have ever driven across is the one in Seattle across the Tacoma Narrows coming into Tacoma. It's very, very scary!

LateNight 08-02-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I've always had a fear of high bridges like this one that collapsed. Every time I cross the one in Baton Rouge I am praying it stays in place till I get to the other side. The worst bridge I have ever driven across is the one in Seattle across the Tacoma Narrows coming into Tacoma. It's very, very scary!

LOL, I'm sure the first time I went over that Bridge in Baton Rouge, I white knuckled it across. But I've been over that thing so many times now, it doesn't bother me.. There is however some other bridge on I-10 I think it is, about an hour maybe east of New Orleans.. taller than the bridge in baton rouge. Seemed taller, but only like 2 lanes, and freakin' went STRAIGHT UP. LOL freaked me out. I remember thinking I wouldn't want to be on a motorcycle as I was crossing.

Isaac-Saxxon 08-02-2007 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Tampa Skyway Bridge is freaky to cross. When the wind is blowing to hard they shut it down. I have crossed it many times and fished under many times. It looks bad from the water and from the bridge. I too do not like tall bridges.
Attachment 1273

Texasbelle 08-02-2007 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the Tacoma Narrows as it was collapsing in 1940 five months after they opened it. The bridge was rebuilt and another bridge was opened last month alongside it. It has the nickname of "Galloping Gertie".

Attachment 1274

Isaac-Saxxon 08-02-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Here is a picture of the Tacoma Narrows as it was collapsing in 1940 five months after they opened it. The bridge was rebuilt and another bridge was opened last month alongside it. It has the nickname of "Galloping Gertie".

Attachment 1274

Hey Belle did you take that picture ?

rhertz 08-02-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb
Our tax dollars at work! I've already heard reports that the Governor and legislatior in MN. have been battleing over a DOT bill-Think about this next time you cross the RED on I-20!:eek: Do you think LADOT is taking care of US? So far, I guess....
Very sad-

Nodding, I travel down Clyde Fant Pky every day, and I won't even mention the S'port-Barksdale Bridge under slow motion construction. There is a train bridge between Sci-Port and the frisbee park that is so old, rusted, and dilapidated looking that I expect it to fall down any decade now. It's black and grey and red and all sorts of colors. :D

Texasbelle 08-02-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon

No, Rhertz did. It's from his private collection!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rhertz 08-02-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon

:laugh: Err, I mean :nono: (but really :laugh: )

Bad Isaac!!

Texasbelle 08-02-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
:laugh: Err, I mean :nono: (but really :laugh: )

Bad Isaac!!

This is all I have to say to you....

:shoethrow: :shoethrow: :shoethrow: :shoethrow: :shoethrow:

Isaac-Saxxon 08-02-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Nodding, I travel down Clyde Fant Pky every day, and I won't even mention the S'port-Barksdale Bridge under slow motion construction. There is a train bridge between Sci-Port and the frisbee park that is so old, rusted, and dilapidated looking that I expect it to fall down any decade now. It's black and grey and red and all sorts of colors. :D

Unlike the State the people at KCS will keep a close eye on that bridge. They did have to open it for the Horseshoe to come in and they had six feet of clearance on each side of the boat and it was in two pieces. They are coming along nicely with the bridge at the West Gate of Barksdale.