Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food & Dining (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Any Cake Makers out there ? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376)

Isaac-Saxxon 08-11-2007 07:05 PM

Any Cake Makers out there ?

1 Attachment(s)
We have a wedding soon a maybe another in the spring. Those cakes cost a ton and for the pre parties special cakes will be needed and we have hired out that big one. I know Mrs. Isaac can do some baking and has a flare for the confection. Let us see what you can post. I am going to steal one from the net to get this started. Cakes or recipes either one. What would you pick at you number one sweet tooth in cakes ??? Be GRAPHIC GIRLS I know you love that sugar after a long or good night.
Praline Cheesecake
Attachment 1338
To kill for :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick:

howela 08-11-2007 07:24 PM

Redneck wedding cake

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1339

Here is a low cost alternative!

rhertz 08-11-2007 07:26 PM

http://www.sweetheavenlycakes.com

She is a local cake maker

Jesse 08-11-2007 08:35 PM

Yum!

Congratulations to the Happy Couple!
I wish I could remember the lady that did our cake. She was out by cross lake. I just told her flavors, layers, rough sketch, and damn if it wasn't a perfect 5 layer wonder that still holds memories.....under a hundred bucks to boot! I can upload a picture or tell u about the flavors, but damned if I can remember her name. Shame on me......

JC

Pocahontas 08-11-2007 10:17 PM

It would be a major feat to find a cake at 100 bucks or under! They are 3-4 dollars a slice and if you are having a big wedding they can easily get up to $700 plus...maybe I should get into the cake making busine$$!:)

Pocahontas 08-11-2007 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My mother bakes the best chocolate chip cake. One of the main ingredients is chocolate pudding mix. The best part though is the icing. It is a thick fudgy layer with another layer of choc. chip morsels under that! It is always a hit for the fudge and cake lover! Absolutely divine!

Here's a close copy!

Attachment 1340

Texasbelle 08-11-2007 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
It would be a major feat to find a cake at 100 bucks or under! They are 3-4 dollars a slice and if you are having a big wedding they can easily get up to $700 plus...maybe I should get into the cake making busine$$!:)

Are you kidding me? I can decorate a cake and at that rate I should have made about $100 bucks yesterday off the one I did for fun. Just kidding. It was a birthday cake someone's daughters. They requested something querky for a girl so this is it. I only do this for fun.

Attachment 1341

You know Isaac, look in the Weddings section in the newspaper and see who is doing the cakes at the weddings listed. Try some of those people. We went to the Tilley-Hester wedding a couple of weekends ago and whomever did that cake was fantastic and I know her name was listed in the paper.

Pocahontas 08-12-2007 09:47 AM

Very nice!! Did you take a class to learn how to do the decorating? That is very cute! I've often thought of taking a cake decorating class because I enjoy baking so much! :)

Texasbelle 08-12-2007 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did take a class at this cake store that is on Bert Kouns at St. Vincent. There is a great lady named Gloria that teaches there. You can also take classes at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I liked Gloria's though. Smaller classes and she's hilarious. It is a lot of fun and if you like to bake, you will be able to have something fun to do with your baking skills. Here is a website you need to visit for inspiration (it's free to be a member):

www.cakecentral.com

This is a picture of a cake I did for a friend's daughter's birthday. It was one I did when I was first learning. Oh I forgot I am still just learning!

Attachment 1343

Pocahontas 08-12-2007 10:03 AM

Oh wow I love the purse cake!!! How often do the classes meet and how long before I could bake one that looks like that? I will look at the site more thoroughly...thanks!

Texasbelle 08-12-2007 10:11 AM

The classes meet once a week for maybe a month. There are classes during the day or the evening. The purse cake is easy actually. It looks much, much more difficult than reality. The letters I "painted" on with vodka (!) and coloring. The accents such as the handle were made with fondant which is like playing with clay.

I have a lot of fun doing the cakes. I only do them for family or friends and would love to do more of them. Today I am going to be baking individual cakes for my husband's staff. They were all drooling over the zebra cake so I am surprising them tomorrow!

Pocahontas 08-12-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
The classes meet once a week for maybe a month. There are classes during the day or the evening. The purse cake is easy actually. It looks much, much more difficult than reality. The letters I "painted" on with vodka (!) and coloring. The accents such as the handle were made with fondant which is like playing with clay.

I have a lot of fun doing the cakes. I only do them for family or friends and would love to do more of them. Today I am going to be baking individual cakes for my husband's staff. They were all drooling over the zebra cake so I am surprising them tomorrow!

I have enjoyed watching those baking shows and contests on the Food Network and that fondant does look to make things simpler...but I'm sure not easy by any means. What is the name of the place you took the lessons?
Your husband's staff will be very happy tomorrow!

Texasbelle 08-12-2007 10:37 AM

Cake Creation Supplies 318-865-5088

A very nice Christian lady named Jean owns it. Take a class, you'll love it!!!!

Texasbelle 08-12-2007 12:21 PM

Check out these cakes Pokie:

www.eleganttemptations.com

Pocahontas 08-12-2007 06:56 PM

Cool cakes!! Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give that lady a call.:)

Isabella 08-12-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
My mother bakes the best chocolate chip cake. One of the main ingredients is chocolate pudding mix. The best part though is the icing. It is a thick fudgy layer with another layer of choc. chip morsels under that! It is always a hit for the fudge and cake lover! Absolutely divine!

Here's a close copy!

Attachment 1340

Would you mind getting the recipe for me. I have been looking for a good chocolate chip recipe. Does she cook it in a Bundt pan?

Pocahontas 08-12-2007 11:24 PM

Mom's chocolate chip cake

Here it is and yes she uses a bundt pan.
Cake:
1 box duncan hines golden butter yellow cake mix
1-4 oz.box jello instant choc. pudding
1-4 oz. box jello instant vanilla pudding
1 and 1/2 c. milk
4 eggs
1/2 c. wesson oil
1 small pkg.semi sweet choc. chip morsels
Mix ingredients together in order listed. Grease and flour bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Icing
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
3 T. cocoa powder
1t. vanilla extract
1/4c. milk

Melt margarine in saucepan, add cocoa. Bring to boil for about 3 mins. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour mixture into mixing bowl with powdered sugar, then add about 1/4 cup milk to spreading consistency and then ice the cooled cake.

This recipe has been a favorite of mine and all my childhood friends. They still request Mom to bake them a cake when they are coming into town. ENJOY!

Texasbelle 08-13-2007 10:49 AM

Let me tell you Isabella how you eat that cake. Just take and rub it all over your back side. It's where it's going to eventually end up so just go ahead and put it there from the get go. Save yourself some trouble!!!!:D

Isaac-Saxxon 08-13-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Let me tell you Isabella how you eat that cake. Just take and rub it all over your back side. It's where it's going to eventually end up so just go ahead and put it there from the get go. Save yourself some trouble!!!!:D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: and just what do you mean by that Cakemaker Belle ? :laugh: :laugh: are you talking about dropping the kids off at the pool ?

rhertz 08-13-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Actually if you rub it all over your back side, it is your hubby who is going to gain weight! Someone has to lick it off! You might actually lose weight with the ensuing exercise. ;)

Pocahontas 08-13-2007 11:50 AM

Mom would probably have a heart attack is she knew her cake was being used as an aphrodisiac!!!!!!!!:lick: :lick: :smlove: :smlove: But hey us women do love our chocolate any way we can get it!:D

Texasbelle 08-13-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Actually if you rub it all over your back side, it is your hubby who is going to gain weight! Someone has to lick it off! You might actually lose weight with the ensuing exercise. ;)

Hey Rhertz, if your wife likes chocolate you might try this at your house!

Isaac-Saxxon 08-13-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Hey Rhertz, if your wife likes chocolate you might try this at your house!

I think it might be more if rherzt likes chocolate :laugh: :laugh: get ya sum there hertz :rolleyes: try butt brand chocolate I hear it is best. May want to stick with the white chocolate :laugh: :laugh:

rhertz 08-13-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I think it might be more if rherzt likes chocolate :laugh: :laugh: get ya sum there hertz :rolleyes: try butt brand chocolate I hear it is best. May want to stick with the white chocolate :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking about it, until you ruined it with all those visuals.... Now I ain't gunna be lickin' no chocolate off any butt any time soon... I hope you feel guilty for that!

Isabella 08-13-2007 11:34 PM

Thank you very much for the recipe, Pocahontas!

Isaac-Saxxon 08-14-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Rhertz you are the one with the bright idea of how to lose weight by chasing your wife around :laugh: :laugh: When I see her next time I will ask how she likes her chocolate ? and if she has learned to flush yet ??? :eek:

Pocahontas 08-14-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
Thank you very much for the recipe, Pocahontas!

You are welcome Isabella! I hope you enjoy it! It is truly a family classic!:)

rhertz 08-14-2007 12:13 PM

I figured that Isabella would like Angel Food Cake the best! :D

Isaac-Saxxon 08-14-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

I figured that Isabella would like Angel Food Cake the best! :D

I would have guessed devils food for Isabella ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 10-08-2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 19450)
Cool cakes!! Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give that lady a call.:)

Pokie how is cake class going ? :D I have yet another birthday coming up can you bake me a cake ;) I like chocolate with white icing. I do not think there will enough room for candles being that I am long in the tooth. :laugh:

Pocahontas 10-08-2007 09:07 AM

I'm planning a wedding! Mr. Pokie is complaining about expenses too.:D The class is on the back burner (so to speak for now)! I make wonderful homemade cookie cakes though. Just pick your type and I'll whip one up for you! :D

Isaac-Saxxon 10-08-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 22308)
I'm planning a wedding! Mr. Pokie is complaining about expenses too.:D The class is on the back burner (so to speak for now)! I make wonderful homemade cookie cakes though. Just pick your type and I'll whip one up for you! :D

OK I will have the lemon square and a pecan pie either one will do ! Really NOTHING beats a good peach cobbler with that golden crust. :D:D I will keep your posted. I am a Aquarius the water carrier. ;)

Texasbelle 10-08-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 22304)
Pokie how is cake class going ? :D I have yet another birthday coming up can you bake me a cake ;) I like chocolate with white icing. I do not think there will enough room for candles being that I am long in the tooth. :laugh:

I'm quite sure the fire department would need to be on standby if Ms. Isaac attempts to put candles on YOUR birthday cake!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 10-16-2007 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 22367)
I'm quite sure the fire department would need to be on standby if Ms. Isaac attempts to put candles on YOUR birthday cake!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You know you do not have any room to talk about age :rolleyes:I think you might need to get back in the kitchen and bake some cakes :whip:

Attachment 1616

How do you cut a work of art like this ?

Texasbelle 10-16-2007 09:16 PM

I have been very busy baking cakes. Last week I did a haunted house birthday cake. Today I delivered three cakes for a large baby shower. They were beautiful cakes with handmade frogs (the baby's room is done in frogs) made from fondant on the cake, and lily pads, and cat tails! On Thursday I have to deliver a birthday cake. They've requested something funny for an older lady.

Here's the downside on the cakes...I forgot to take pictures so I'll get them emailed to me so I can post them .

rhertz 10-16-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 22896)
I have been very busy baking cakes. Last week I did a haunted house birthday cake. Today I delivered three cakes for a large baby shower. They were beautiful cakes with handmade frogs (the baby's room is done in frogs) made from fondant on the cake, and lily pads, and cat tails! On Thursday I have to deliver a birthday cake. They've requested something funny for an older lady.

Here's the downside on the cakes...I forgot to take pictures so I'll get them emailed to me so I can post them .

All I want to know is what shoes you were wearing when you baked all those cakes! Pink stilletto's?? (fingers crossed) LOL

Texasbelle 10-17-2007 08:18 AM

Red.:D

drthyhcks 11-08-2007 11:36 PM

wedding cakes in SB

try www.mypastrychef.com
they were chose the cakes best in Louisiana

http://www.mypastrychef.com/html/more_cakes_2007.html

good luck

drthyhcks 12-27-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 19422)
I did take a class at this cake store that is on Bert Kouns at St. Vincent. There is a great lady named Gloria that teaches there. You can also take classes at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I liked Gloria's though. Smaller classes and she's hilarious. It is a lot of fun and if you like to bake, you will be able to have something fun to do with your baking skills. Here is a website you need to visit for inspiration (it's free to be a member):

www.cakecentral.com

This is a picture of a cake I did for a friend's daughter's birthday. It was one I did when I was first learning. Oh I forgot I am still just learning!

Attachment 1343

That is a really nice edible purse!!

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

drthyhcks 12-27-2007 10:08 PM

I have been making cakes for a living for a long long time.
It is all produced at www.mypastrychef.com
We have had a licensed store front since 1995.
We were chosen best Louisiana wedding cake July 07, by People Magazine http://reallifeweddings.people.com/

Yes wedding cakes are costly, generally a great deal of time and expertise is involved with the large tiered cakes.

Good Luck with your wedding planning!
mpc
www.mypastrychef.com