Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Childhood Memories (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3075)

piemaker720 11-18-2007 05:11 PM

Childhood Memories

Here is one of my favorites. A couple of my friends and I went frog gigging one night, we caught about 75 to 100 that night. When we got to my dad's house, it was late, so dad told us to put the coker sack full of frogs in the corner of the dinning room and we would clean them the next morning. When we got up we went to clean the frogs and the sack was empty, it had a hole in the corner and all the frogs got out in my dad's house. We killed frogs for months, they were under the beds, in the closets, even in the fireplace. Dad kept a 22 pistol and when a frog would come hopping out he would shoot it. Well one was under his tv one night so he shot at it, only he missed the frog and shot his tv antenna wire into. Boy that was fun.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pocahontas 11-18-2007 06:56 PM

Pie, what a colorful childhood you've led! I wouldn't have faired very well at all in many of the situations you had to deal with...especially the frogs! :nono:

A fond memory I have is going up to Lake Darbonne in the summertime and my Daddy would swim in the lake with us and come out from under the pier or pontoon boat (you never quite knew where) as a Moss Monster! He would be covered in moss and mud and you never were sure where he was under that dark murky water. My daddy was and still is quite a cut up!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-18-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 24928)
Pie, what a colorful childhood you've led! I wouldn't have faired very well at all in many of the situations you had to deal with...especially the frogs! :nono:

A fond memory I have is going up to Lake Darbonne in the summertime and my Daddy would swim in the lake with us and come out from under the pier or pontoon boat (you never quite knew where) as a Moss Monster! He would be covered in moss and mud and you never were sure where he was under that dark murky water. My daddy was and still is quite a cut up!:laugh:

That was nice Pokie, time well spent with your dad and a lasting memory. I grew up being an outdoores kind of gal. Hunting, fishing and raising chickens and things. During hunting season, dad use to let us girls take turns missing school to go hunting with him.

piemaker720 11-19-2007 10:38 AM

Another story!
I had went coon hunting one night and the next morning I was cleaning a coon in the doorway of the back door. [I hung them from the top of the door facing to skin them.] I was halfway through with one when my sister rounded the corner in a hurry and ran smack into that coon. :laugh::laugh: Freaked her out!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-19-2007 07:05 PM

Another:
We was coon hunting one nite and when my husband shot the coon the darn thing fell out of the tree and landed right on top of my head. It was dead of coarse but it felt like a ton of bricks hit me. Darn near knocked my butt out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

vixweb 11-20-2007 01:10 AM

When I was a kid, we were into trapping-mostly coons, and nutria. We would get up @ 4:30 am before school to check them,(becuase I also had to feed the chickens & horses!)- you never knew what you'd get!:laugh: Back then you could get $ 25-35 for a good coon skin, so 4-6/day added up nicely! I haven't skinned anything in 20 years, but I could probably do it blind-folded! I was very blessed to grow up in the farmlands of south bossier. As John Denver said: Thank GOD I'm a country boy:D

joepole 11-20-2007 08:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that in 2007 anyone discharging a firearm indoors with children present would end up in jail. And you people gave me grief for driving 3 blocks with my kid out of a carseat?

piemaker720 11-20-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 25014)
I'm pretty sure that in 2007 anyone discharging a firearm indoors with children present would end up in jail. And you people gave me grief for driving 3 blocks with my kid out of a carseat?

And what in your stupid mind puts in the the year 2007. Are you desense this is childhood memories not yesterday? My frog gigging was 30 years ago, that's why it is childhood memories. No, people would not discharge firearms indoors with children now days, but back in my days things were more relaxed. If dad laid a gun on a table we knew better than to touch it.
Besides having a gun in your house is not illegal but driving with a child out of a carseat is.

joepole 11-20-2007 09:10 AM

What made you think I thought you were talking about 2007? I was contrasting how different today is from when you were little.

Discharging a firearm inside your house is probably illegal, as well. If you live in the city limits or within 100 feet of any road it's specifically illegal. If you live way out in the country it's up to a judge to decide if firing a gun indoors with children present constitutes an act that is "foreseeable that it may result in death or great bodily harm to a human being."

>No, people would not discharge firearms indoors with children now days, but back in my days things were more relaxed.

Wasn't that my point? What the hell is wrong with you?

piemaker720 11-20-2007 09:28 AM

<Wasn't that my point? What the hell is wrong with you?>

There is not a damn thing wrong with me but old age, You however the list is long. If you was not talking about 2007 then why bring it up to begin with?

joepole 11-20-2007 09:31 AM

Again, to contrast the difference between today and when you were little. Same point you made.

Al Swearengen 11-20-2007 06:37 PM

Somethin of an ass, isn't he? A snivelin ass.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-20-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25082)

I say he is not a ass but a rectum of sorts :laugh:

Texasbelle 11-20-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 25082)

But he's a smart ass.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-20-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 25085)
But he's a smart ass.

Hey Belle I see your new boots there is that to cover veins ? Do not fall down or break a heel :laugh::laugh: