Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A New Planet Has Been Discovered (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236)

sbl_admin 04-25-2007 08:15 AM

A New Planet Has Been Discovered

For the first time astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable, with Earth-like temperatures, a find researchers described Tuesday as a big step in the search for "life in the universe."

Texasbelle 04-25-2007 08:35 AM

Maybe we could take a vote and decide who to cast off this island and send them there!

Neo 04-25-2007 10:52 AM

We just voted off Pluto as a planet. I guess if you substract one, then you find another one somrwhere else.

Everyone talks about the end of the world- would that be just Earth or all of them?

BrainSmashR 04-25-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Maybe we could take a vote and decide who to cast off this island and send them there!

Great idea.....looks like the vote is 4 billion in FAVOR of shipping off the christians.

Neo 04-25-2007 11:17 AM

Brainsmashr, Al Sharpton may be calling you. That would be segregation, especially if the planet was called Africa.

AnimeSpirit 04-25-2007 01:00 PM

They actually tend to name planets after Gods and Goddesses, particularly Greek and Roman deities (i.e. Mercury, Uranus, Jupiter, Neptune, etc.). I wonder what name they will give this new planet. In fact, I wonder where they name "Earth" came from. :confused:

purpahurl 04-25-2007 04:15 PM

New Planet

Maybe the people who believe in the RAPTURE are going here.

MattyMattyChooChoo 04-27-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Great idea.....looks like the vote is 4 billion in FAVOR of shipping off the christians.

God be praised!!! I thought I was gonna have to stay here with all of you heathens! ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 04-27-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
God be praised!!! I thought I was gonna have to stay here with all of you heathens! ;)

If you get raptured you will be with the heathens :nono: There is NO such thing as "THE RAPTURE" in the Christian Bible.

BrainSmashR 04-27-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Well until science comes up with a method of traveling 120 trillion miles in the lifespan of one individual, it looks like your stuck.

Of course you could also pray for a solution. That works, right?:laugh: :laugh:

rhertz 04-27-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Of course you could also pray for a solution. That works, right?:laugh: :laugh:

Believe it or not, prayer does work for many people. Just because it may not work for you doesn't necessarily make it a laughable matter to others who do put their faith in prayer. I certainly to not laugh at you because you may think humans were created out of a mud puddle or primordial soup without any intelligent designer.

BrainSmashR 04-27-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Believe it or not, prayer does work for many people. Just because it may not work for you doesn't necessarily make it a laughable matter to others who do put their faith in prayer. I certainly to not laugh at you because you may think humans were created out of a mud puddle or primordial soup without any intelligent designer.

Fair enough. The first person who delivers a method of transportation to "Earth2" that they acquired solely through the power of prayer will not only gain my complete and utter respect. I'll kneel before your god and pledge my undying loyalty.

You see, rhertz, there's a difference between prayer "working" and prayer "working for people". It may settle your nerves and give you a sense of clam you've never experienced before, but it won't provide the means for you to fly to another planet.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-27-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin
For the first time astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable, with Earth-like temperatures, a find researchers described Tuesday as a big step in the search for "life in the universe."

How do we know it is a planet ? Because science tells us so until they change their mind at which time it will not longer be a planet :laugh: :laugh:

BrainSmashR 04-27-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
How do we know it is a planet ? Because science tells us so until they change their mind at which time it will not longer be a planet :laugh: :laugh:

That's how it works.

We make the names, we create the classifications, we change the criteria when we feel the need.

MAN, the only truly omnipotent being.

AnimeSpirit 04-27-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Awww! But we heathens are FUN!!! :D