Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Peace sign = symbol of Satan??? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474)

Bob 11-27-2006 03:06 PM

Peace sign = symbol of Satan???

1 Attachment(s)
A homeowners association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.

Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs. He said some residents have also believed it was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said.

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.

Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing."

Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas.

"Now that it has come to this I feel I can't get bullied," she said. "What if they don't like my Santa Claus."

The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive."

The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Kearns fired all five committee members."

Rough Rider 11-27-2006 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Personally I can't stand Home Owners Associations .. not that I've ever had any trouble with one. But I'm always reading about some stupid article like this.
I understand a neighborhood wanting to have certain rules and such.. All homes must be so many square feet.. All lots must be at least a certain size..
and if I go to long without mowing my yard, feel free to complain to me and I'll get right on it :-)

But this is a freakin' Christmas Decoration.. it's not a Billboard, or some other kind of advertisement. Unless the HOA has some rules against Christmas Decorations ??? just crazy.

LateNight 11-27-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Kearns fired all five committee members."
Sounds like a few finally had some sense , and considered it a "Seasonal Symbol" but so the Home Owner's Association President didn't like that answer and FIRED THEM ??

Ah yes.. 'tis the Season folks :eek:

scarlett 11-27-2006 07:15 PM

HOA's have their plus's and also their minus's. I wish they were more strict on somethings but not so stupid on others. This one I have to say is STUPID! I would buy my entire family t-shirts with the peace sign on it or better yet make everyone one and make sure it looks like a wreath and I would wear it everyday till after Christmas. I would paint my car with peace sign wreath's and every window pane with peace sign wreaths just to prove a point.

This is from the 60's? as far as the symbol some people just want to ***** about everything.

rhertz 11-27-2006 10:06 PM

If it were me, I would either, (A) pay the $25/day for a week or two and replace the ornament with a MUCH larger version (in order to get my money's worth).

Or else (B) I would take it down and put up some ugly TV dishes where federal OTARD law supercedes the local homeowners asssociation rules. I might even put up a dish with a special wire antenna (for local channels) that is shaped a specific way to improve the signal! ;)

Bob 11-28-2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I would take it down and put up some ugly TV dishes where federal OTARD law supercedes the local homeowners asssociation rules. I might even put up a dish with a special wire antenna (for local channels) that is shaped a specific way to improve the signal! ;)

OTARD law ?? what is that ?

Isaac-Saxxon 11-28-2006 04:10 AM

Peace frog

This lady should be able to place here decorations as she pleases. This PC crap has gone to far. I do not agree with her ideas but I do think she has the right to express them if she likes.
Isaac

LateNight 11-28-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
This lady should be able to place here decorations as she pleases. This PC crap has gone to far. I do not agree with her ideas but I do think she has the right to express them if she likes.
Isaac

I'm glad you think she should be able to hang her wreath but
you don't agree with her "ideas" which ideas are that ? Peace on Earth, Good Will ??? Just curious .. unless she has come out and said something against the "war" or something more specific.. then sure everyone's got an opinion.. but I thought this was a christmas wreath ??

rhertz 11-28-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob
OTARD law ?? what is that ?

This is the federal law that says that a homeowners association cannot restrict an owner from putting up a directv or dish network system, even if "dishes" are prohibited in the homeowners covenants. Same goes for Internet antennas and dishes. If you ever saw a nice condo or high rise down in florida with a dish hung out on the balcony railing, it is this law that protects the condo owner's rights to do so. (But the condo owner has no rights to put the dish up on the roof or any space not under the lease)

Bob 11-28-2006 09:39 PM

Cool. So does that mean I could put up one of those Nasa lookin' dishes in my yard ? not sure why I'd want to, but just in case.

rhertz 11-28-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob
Cool. So does that mean I could put up one of those Nasa lookin' dishes in my yard ? not sure why I'd want to, but just in case.

Chances are that if you have a yard to begin with, then there is no homeowners association to begin with, which is common for townhouses and condos more than residential areas. There are exceptions of course such as "gated communities". If you pay annual "homeowners dues" then you have someone to give the finger to. Otherwise, consider yourself lucky.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-29-2006 04:41 PM

which ideas are that ?

That idea is a upside down broken cross in the name of peace. Kind of like the hippies in the 60's and 70's. My opinion only she can do what she likes
will not cause me to loose any sleep. Peaceniks will never get what they want just more white wash on the problem.
Merry Christmas
Isaac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
I'm glad you think she should be able to hang her wreath but
you don't agree with her "ideas" which ideas are that ? Peace on Earth, Good Will ??? Just curious .. unless she has come out and said something against the "war" or something more specific.. then sure everyone's got an opinion.. but I thought this was a christmas wreath ??

396 03-16-2007 10:54 PM

I had peace signs on the grips of my colt .45acp for years. That was a shock to all the people that witnessed a cocked and locked .45 and it had bright green peace signs on each grip.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-17-2007 12:25 PM

You can have the green peace signs

Quote:

Originally Posted by 396
I had peace signs on the grips of my colt .45acp for years. That was a shock to all the people that witnessed a cocked and locked .45 and it had bright green peace signs on each grip.

and your .45acp I am not for gun control. It is your right to bear arms and if you choose to have a peace sign well this is a peace keeper you have for a weapon. The world is full of signs and if someone *****es enough it will become PC to not have them so that one will remain unlike the Confederate Flag that has come under attack.
Isaac

Santabot 04-15-2007 03:44 PM

No one is offended without contemplating the issue beforehand, offense is only taken when someone has an incentive to attack the person introducing the stimulus into the environment.

The incentive here is the cash value and publicity they could gain from causing a ruckus over a minuscule issue. What ever happened to our freedoms and rights? It appears that all we do in today's world is play our cards correctly in order to not offend particular groups and use white lies and hide details from people in order to keep aggression to a low, whereas if everyone was truthful and honest, there wouldn't be any need to castigate the liars of society, namely, the government.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-15-2007 07:09 PM

I have heard this type of rambling before

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
No one is offended without contemplating the issue beforehand, offense is only taken when someone has an incentive to attack the person introducing the stimulus into the environment.

The incentive here is the cash value and publicity they could gain from causing a ruckus over a minuscule issue. What ever happened to our freedoms and rights? It appears that all we do in today's world is play our cards correctly in order to not offend particular groups and use white lies and hide details from people in order to keep aggression to a low, whereas if everyone was truthful and honest, there wouldn't be any need to castigate the liars of society, namely, the government.

You seem to know which threads to dig up. :rolleyes: Seems the more things change the more they stay the same.
Isaac

cosmo kramer 04-16-2007 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Peace sign...could it be SATAN???:nono:

scarlett 04-16-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
It appears that all we do in today's world is play our cards correctly in order to not offend particular groups and use white lies and hide details from people in order to keep aggression to a low, whereas if everyone was truthful and honest, there wouldn't be any need to castigate the liars of society, namely, the government.

Phew take a breath saying that :D I do have to agree the government are the liars of society you know UNCLE SAM?????? they take all your hard earned money!!!! I agree they are all liars I really despise the government. I don't want to hear anything about freedom either since they are slowly taking all our freedoms away. If my grandchildren have freedom by the time they are 18 I will be surprised

Texasbelle 04-16-2007 08:04 PM

Scarlett, if your children get to raise their children, I'll be surprised.:eek: The government may be doing it for you by then.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett
Phew take a breath saying that :D I do have to agree the government are the liars of society you know UNCLE SAM?????? they take all your hard earned money!!!! I agree they are all liars I really despise the government. I don't want to hear anything about freedom either since they are slowly taking all our freedoms away. If my grandchildren have freedom by the time they are 18 I will be surprised

Scarlett do you have grandchildren ? I know there are some bad folks that run our government but not all of them are. Vote for those that have our best interest in mind. Fish from the right side of the boat. We may have issues with taxes but before you put America down look around the world at other forms of government and you might not think this one is so bad :rolleyes:
Isaac

scarlett 04-17-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Scarlett do you have grandchildren ? I know there are some bad folks that run our government but not all of them are. Vote for those that have our best interest in mind. Fish from the right side of the boat. We may have issues with taxes but before you put America down look around the world at other forms of government and you might not think this one is so bad :rolleyes:
Isaac

No I don't just making a statement when I do. Since my children are 18 and 19 i'm sure one day i'll be a granny.

Who has my best interest in mind Isaac? Can you really believe any one of them fools? I don't believe anything anyone of them says. What because Bush stated he was against abortion and against gays the people voted him in? Should I say the Christians?????? Let me say this I didn't vote for Bush I voted against him and would do it again if given the chance. Just because someone states they are a Christian doesn't mean jack to me. Too many liars out there, right Isaac? Wolves in sheeps clothing should I say.

I have been a Christian for many many years and have seen many come and go from sin and lies. It's not just the preachers and priests lying to people it's the government also.

I have learned in my 41 yrs of life to believe me and me only because everyone else is always out for themselves. I am not the same person I was 10 yrs ago that's for sure, I was more naive back then should I say?

I think the entire world is#$@*&^$*@# so doesn't matter where you live Isaac they all control you in one form or another. My views about our government are the same as yesterday and wont' change today nor tomorrow. I think my hatred towards them will just get worse :eek:

I could ramble on all day long just think about all i said Isaac. Everyone here has their own opinions and entitled to them. I personally say freedom of speech here but that will go away soon I'm sure. Let me put a website on myspace on how much i despise the government and watch them come knocking at my door because I CANT DO THAT!

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

No I don't just making a statement when I do. Since my children are 18 and 19 I'm sure one day I'll be a granny.

I think the entire world is#$@*&^$*@# so doesn't matter where you live Isaac they all control you in one form or another. My views about our government are the same as yesterday and wont' change today nor tomorrow. I think my hatred to wards them will just get worse :eek:

Scarlett I respect your view of our government I just do not agree. Yes the world is at a breaking point but to attack all government people in this country is wrong. You are grouping a bunch of people into one group. I pay my taxes and they are too high but I can get in my car and go places with out checking in with the government and I can own a gun and seek my own way of worship in my home. You can not say that for just any country. That is just my take on it. Hope one day you have many grandchildren ;) Maybe you should try living in Russia or China for a while and running your own business there :think:
Isaac

LateNight 04-17-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

No I don't just making a statement when I do. Since my children are 18 and 19 i'm sure one day i'll be a granny.

Who has my best interest in mind Isaac? Can you really believe any one of them fools? I don't believe anything anyone of them says. What because Bush stated he was against abortion and against gays the people voted him in? Should I say the Christians?????? Let me say this I didn't vote for Bush I voted against him and would do it again if given the chance. Just because someone states they are a Christian doesn't mean jack to me. Too many liars out there, right Isaac? Wolves in sheeps clothing should I say.

I have been a Christian for many many years and have seen many come and go from sin and lies. It's not just the preachers and priests lying to people it's the government also.

I have learned in my 41 yrs of life to believe me and me only because everyone else is always out for themselves. I am not the same person I was 10 yrs ago that's for sure, I was more naive back then should I say?

I think the entire world is#$@*&^$*@# so doesn't matter where you live Isaac they all control you in one form or another. My views about our government are the same as yesterday and wont' change today nor tomorrow. I think my hatred towards them will just get worse :eek:

I could ramble on all day long just think about all i said Isaac. Everyone here has their own opinions and entitled to them. I personally say freedom of speech here but that will go away soon I'm sure. Let me put a website on myspace on how much i despise the government and watch them come knocking at my door because I CANT DO THAT!

:goodpost2:
That Scarlett can rant can't she !! Should have heard her comin' down hard on that ShreveNet tech support. :D

Texasbelle 04-17-2007 10:08 AM

Whoooaaaaaaaaa......did Scarlett just have a hissie or what! You go girl. You are definitely entitled to your opinion and guess what? In this country at this point, you still get to have one and express it. (As long as you as a white girl don't go calling anybody a nappy headed ho!)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LateNight 04-17-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
(As long as you as a white girl don't go calling anybody a nappy headed ho!)

Being the Cajun that she is.. I think she could get away with it. ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Being the Cajun that she is.. I think she could get away with it. ;)

You are one brave man LN :confused: I welcome all opinions. Well there is one on the board at this time that we could live with out(bsr) but if Scarlett feels that way then post it. No hard feelings just opinion and we are "FREE" to post them right here on SBLive.

scarlett 04-17-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

You are one brave man LN :confused: I welcome all opinions. Well there is one on the board at this time that we could live with out(bsr) but if Scarlett feels that way then post it. No hard feelings just opinion and we are "FREE" to post them right here on SBLive.

LN is cool in my eyes :D as for being Cajun yes I am and yes we tend to be a little hot headed at times. As Isaac says we are "free" to post them on here at least for now maybe in 10 yrs or so we won't be able to or big brother will be watching everything.:peace:

scarlett 04-17-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Whoooaaaaaaaaa......did Scarlett just have a hissie or what! You go girl. You are definitely entitled to your opinion and guess what? In this country at this point, you still get to have one and express it. (As long as you as a white girl don't go calling anybody a nappy headed ho!)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

No hissie just stating facts :D So many sheeps on here sad sad sad they all know who they are. tsk tsk tsk

LateNight 04-17-2007 04:59 PM

LOL never mind. Big brother is watching.. Shhhhhh :eek:

scarlett 04-17-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

LOL never mind. Big brother is watching.. Shhhhhh :eek:

:rotflol::rotflmao:This thread will die after that rant i went on that's for sure. ;)

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

:rotflol::rotflmao:This thread will die after that rant i went on that's for sure. ;)

Hey Scarlett is the Peace Sign a symbol of Satan ;) You have every right to rant looking at me and many others on this board you are very nice. :clap:
Isaac

rhertz 04-17-2007 05:20 PM

I wish I hadn't read this thread. Well, can't win em all.. It's all Santabot's fault for digging up a old Christmas thread. ;)

Never though there could be so much negativity about a peace sign. :peace:

scarlett 04-17-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Hey Scarlett is the Peace Sign a symbol of Satan ;) You have every right to rant looking at me and many others on this board you are very nice. :clap:
Isaac

Of course I am nice that's why my boss kept me for 5 yrs!! Right boss????????? anywho, I don't think the peace sign is a symbol of satan. I recall being a small child using the peace sign as fun.

I wasn't a 60's child but 80's child, hair bands, pot, head bands etc............. ex co-workers know what i am talking about the best times ever!

right now i am jamming to journey everyone that was in that era knows Journey!

Peace out :peace:

scarlett 04-17-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I wish I hadn't read this thread. Well, can't win em all.. It's all Santabot's fault for digging up a old Christmas thread. ;)

Never though there could be so much negativity about a peace sign. :peace:

I'm glad santabot/christmas thread was dug up. Lets dig up some more i'm ready for them all lol :clap:

AnimeSpirit 04-17-2007 06:01 PM

The peace sign is a symbol of Satan, eh? SURE it is! (sarcasm)

Some people like to say my Pagan star (the pentacle) is a satanic symbol too. I know of one website whose author thinks Pokemon, Digimon, and Harry Potter are all satanic. There are a rare breed who think television itself is satanic.

scarlett 04-17-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
The peace sign is a symbol of Satan, eh? SURE it is! (sarcasm)

Some people like to say my Pagan star (the pentacle) is a satanic symbol too. I know of one website whose author thinks Pokemon, Digimon, and Harry Potter are all satanic. There are a rare breed who think television itself is satanic.

Don't you know this entire world is satanic (sarcasm to the extreme :eek: )

People need to get a life and quit worrying about the signs of peace it's a peace sign which stands for smoking pot is kick arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::clap:

AnimeSpirit 04-17-2007 06:54 PM

People just need to stop worrying about evil. It's a pointless concept. The source of true evil is not in signs or symbols. It's not in people or things. It is the intent that matters.

If your true intentions are good, then your actions will be good as a direct result no matter what those actions are. This goes for gestures, symbols, actions, everything! Gestures and symbols are not alive, do not have free will, and therefore do not have alignment.

An intentional action that results in suffering or pain without any empathic regards or regret is evil. Displaying the peace sign is not satanic and far from evil in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

People just need to stop worrying about evil. It's a pointless concept. The source of true evil is not in signs or symbols. It's not in people or things. It is the intent that matters.

If your true intentions are good, then your actions will be good as a direct result no matter what those actions are. This goes for gestures, symbols, actions, everything! Gestures and symbols are not alive, do not have free will, and therefore do not have alignment.

An intentional action that results in suffering or pain without any empathic regards or regret is evil. Displaying the peace sign is not satanic and far from evil in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Evil is real Anime. Maybe not in you mind but it is out there and if you do not think so go take a walk on the wrong side of town and you will. It is every where there is a greedy hand to feed. Wake up young man and see that you are one of many and you can not be first only next in there traps. You know I like your post but there are gang signs and many others such as flags and many more that all mean something and many are evil. CULT Children Under Lucifer's Teaching :eek: Yea that is just the tip of the ice berg.
Isaac

AnimeSpirit 04-17-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Evil is real Anime. Maybe not in you mind but it is out there and if you do not think so go take a walk on the wrong side of town and you will. It is every where there is a greedy hand to feed. Wake up young man and see that you are one of many and you can not be first only next in there traps. You know I like your post but there are gang signs and many others such as flags and many more that all mean something and many are evil. CULT Children Under Lucifer's Teaching :eek: Yea that is just the tip of the ice berg.
Isaac

You misunderstand. Yes, indeed, there most certainly is evil in the world. There are people who regularly cause suffering and pain in others without any regard for anything but their own desires. There are evil people out there. I was merely defining evil. I wasn't saying evil doesn't exist. Think about it. WHAT makes an action evil or not?

However, my point is that evil is defined by intention. If you place a symbol in plain view with the intention of inspiring evil, then you could in a way call it an evil symbol. It is evil, not because the symbol is evil, but the purpose for which it is used. This is where your symbols of CULT apply.

I'm not so naive to turn a blind eye to the suffering and pain in the world. However, it's important to know WHAT evil is. Symbols are not evil. Their purpose and the intention of their use is what defines its alignment.

scarlett 04-17-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

You misunderstand. Yes, indeed, there most certainly is evil in the world. There are people who regularly cause suffering and pain in others without any regard for anything but their own desires. There are evil people out there. I was merely defining evil. I wasn't saying evil doesn't exist. Think about it. WHAT makes an action evil or not?

However, my point is that evil is defined by intention. If you place a symbol in plain view with the intention of inspiring evil, then you could in a way call it an evil symbol. It is evil, not because the symbol is evil, but the purpose for which it is used. This is where your symbols of CULT apply.

I'm not so naive to turn a blind eye to the suffering and pain in the world. However, it's important to know WHAT evil is. Symbols are not evil. Their purpose and the intention of their use is what defines its alignment.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: