Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ark-la-tex Coral Reef Aquariums (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   water quality for aquariums (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2819)

Morpheus 10-17-2007 05:25 PM

water quality for aquariums

Coralman,

Just wondering if you have ever tested plain tap water here in Shreveport. Is it suitable for aquarium use?

Coralman 10-17-2007 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Shreveport water with a activated carbon filter. I think that people that crash aquariums tend to blame it on the water supply for the last 25 years. The most important thing is to get the chlorine out and oxygen saturation up. There are those that live and die by reverse osmosis filters and they do clean the water good with micron and carbon that do most of the work. Bottom line is that extra 10% worth all the work ? Not for me on a commercial application. The RO water is very good for drinking some people even hook them up to the ice machine. Now if you hobby then you might want to check in to RO but my tanks look pretty good with tap water. Thanks for the question.
CM :cool:

Attachment 1627
This is a 270 gallon coral tank in my store and I use tap water only. I mix it for a day before I use it most important !!

vixweb 10-17-2007 05:41 PM

When properly treated, it is fine. But, coral man is the man!:D

purpahurl 10-17-2007 09:14 PM

I have a 150 gallon tank. When I do a water change I siphon out about 50 gallons at a time and fill it up with the hose. I have never had a problem. Slow and steady wins the race. Water temp is what I worry about.

Morpheus 10-17-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 22967)
I have a 150 gallon tank. When I do a water change I siphon out about 50 gallons at a time and fill it up with the hose. I have never had a problem. Slow and steady wins the race. Water temp is what I worry about.

thanks for the replies. My tank runs about 78F with the lights on.

vixweb 10-18-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

That seems risky with un-treated water, but, if you havent had any problems.... What kind of aquarium do you have-Freshwater or saltwater?:peace:

Coralman 10-18-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

purpahurl you are taking unneeded risk with your aquarium. The cost of a bottle of chlorine remover is just 5.00 and will treat two thousand gallons. You would be better off to do a 20% water change and let the water mix over night in a trash can. I know what you are doing is much easier until you have a crash then all the time you saved will be used up in one day as you dig out. :peace: