Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   War On The Middle Class (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368)

Rough Rider 10-17-2006 10:07 AM

War On The Middle Class

I've been trying to decide if this "site" is more democrat or more republican. To be honest I expected it to be all very far 'right', But that's not what I've seen.

I don't follow the news much, for I don't think anyone is covering the news all that well, what with everyone's own agenda.

Don't take this as an outright endorsement for CNN OR Lou Dobbs.. But I read a Lou Dobbs editorial the other day and I thought it was quite interesting.

He has a special report coming out October 18 about the "War On The Middle Class"

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I can't take seriously anyone who takes either the Republican Party or Democratic Party seriously -- in part because neither party takes you and me seriously; in part because both are bought and paid for by corporate America and special interests. And neither party gives a damn about the middle class.

Our country's middle class is not just collateral damage in what has become all-out class warfare. Political, business and academic elites are waging an outright war on working men and women and their families, and there is no chance the American middle class will survive this assault if the dominant forces unleashed over the past five years continue unchecked.
He goes on to blast both the Democrat and Republican parties.. in this article:

Middle class needs to fight back now

Quote:

According to the nonpartisan Center for Public Integrity, from 1998 through 2004, lobbyists spent nearly $12 billion to not only influence legislation, but in many cases to write the language of the laws and regulations.

Individual firms, corporations and national organizations spent a record $2.14 billion on lobbying members of Congress and 220 other federal agencies in 2004, according to PoliticalMoneyLine. That's nearly $6 million a day spent to influence our leaders. We really do have the best government money can buy.
Quote:

In both Republican and Democratic administrations, Congress has passed and sustained billions of dollars in royalty payments and subsidies to big oil companies; pushed through a corporate-written, consumer-crippling bankruptcy law; embraced the death of the estate tax; approved every free trade deal brought to a vote; and supported illegal immigration for the sake of cheap labor.
Here's the part I really like:
Quote:

So what if a majority of us decided once and for all to walk into our town and city halls all over the country and change our party affiliation from Republican or Democrat to independent? What if that sizable number of us who don't vote at all decided to register as independents? For the first time in decades, working middle-class Americans might just get the attention of our elected officials in Washington.

Our middle class has suffered in silence for far too long, and it cannot afford to suffer or be silent much longer. Hardworking Americans have not spoken out about their increasingly marginalized role in this society, and as a consequence they've all but lost their voice.

Rough Rider http://www.shreveport.com/forums/cus...vatar129_1.gif

Isaac-Saxxon 10-17-2006 04:23 PM

Always left or right

When a society can vote itself entitlements and the people can vote a tax
on the business to pay for those entitlements the country hurts and small
business and working people pay the large part of the tax that feeds the
system and the dead beats that are on the public dole. Flat tax and no
work no pay not including the handicap or impaired. I am for a third party
with some teeth in it but every election Dems and Rep both try to look
like that moderate candidate at least for the election time. Nov will sure
set the tone for the next two years. God Bless the USA

Al Swearengen 10-17-2006 11:09 PM

Whats wrong with the estate tax giving up the ghost? Sounds good to me.

geodood 10-17-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Rider
I've been trying to decide if this "site" is more democrat or more republican. To be honest I expected it to be all very far 'right', But that's not what I've seen.

I'm sure most of you have figured out that kansast and geodood (me) are developers of this site. I can assure you that this site has no agenda (political or otherwise) other than to help earn a living for a couple of out-of-work Internet guys. Our vision is to support the site though basic advertisors plus free "groups" which are sponsored by local businesses. That is to "build local community".

If by chance this site turns out to lean "left" or "right" then it is solely a reflection of society, "the good, the bad, and the ugly" as it were. In other works, this site is what all of you make it to be. All we can do is to provide the framework and free bandwidth and simply hope that it "catches on" and advertistors choose to support it. If you like what you see, please help spread the word....pass it on.

kansast 10-18-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geodood
I'm sure most of you have figured out that kansast and geodood (me) are developers of this site.

I don't know what he's talking about, I've never seen or heard of 'geodood' :)

Pass it on.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-18-2006 07:11 AM

Who is Geo ?

I think I saw him at the bus stop ? I think he is a swing voter and he may
have voted for Ross Perot :-) and the band is still playing in the room at
top of the stairs !

kansast 10-18-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I think I saw him at the bus stop ? I think he is a swing voter and he may
have voted for Ross Perot :-) and the band is still playing in the room at
top of the stairs !

Yea yea.. I seen the dude, that cat don't know any tunes. :eek:

geodood 10-18-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansast
I don't know what he's talking about, I've never seen or heard of 'geodood' :)

Pass it on.

LOL, OK, kansast, I will certainly remember that when the next Bandwise payday comes! ;) We will see if that improves your memory! heh heh heh

But seriously, I did want all SBLive members to know that this site is built and owned by local programmers, and we have no political affiliates, affiliations, or agendas whatsoever other than to support the local community. One more thing, Schumpert and Hal Sutton Foundation are simply advertistors (bless their heart) and otherwise have no affiliation with SBLive! Anyone can advertise or sponsor any available group on this site. If you know any local businesses who may be interested, please "spread the word....pass it on". (line from my favorite Discovery channel commercial)

Rough Rider 10-19-2006 12:05 AM

Well thank ya there Kansast and Geodood. I've enjoyed the site thus far, hoping to see the site grow, and get some more opinions on here.
I'll do my best to "pass it on".

geodood 10-19-2006 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Rider
Well thank ya there Kansast and Geodood. I've enjoyed the site thus far, hoping to see the site grow, and get some more opinions on here.
I'll do my best to "pass it on".

Rough Rider, all I can say is thank you for your support. It's folks like you and joepole, windshop, and mudbug, and others who are "setting the stage" for what I believe will someday become a great community resource. It just takes a little time and effort. SBLive! is barely 8 weeks old, and I think we are trending in the right direction.

We keep plugging away at it, adding new features like "joinable groups" and "weather portal". We are not stagnant and out of excitement we probably launched the site a little early. But that's ok. It is hard to have a "content aggregation" site without any content! ;) We had to start somewhere! Thank you once again for your contributions RR. With members like you on board, I really do believe we will make it. :)

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 12:36 PM

Thanks Geodood

Quote:

Originally Posted by geodood
Rough Rider, all I can say is thank you for your support. It's folks like you and joepole, windshop, and mudbug, and others who are "setting the stage" for what I believe will someday become a great community resource. It just takes a little time and effort. SBLive! is barely 8 weeks old, and I think we are trending in the right direction.

We keep plugging away at it, adding new features like "joinable groups" and "weather portal". We are not stagnant and out of excitement we probably launched the site a little early. But that's ok. It is hard to have a "content aggregation" site without any content! ;) We had to start somewhere! Thank you once again for your contributions RR. With members like you on board, I really do believe we will make it. :)

It has been educational for me. This is my first time (virgin) at posting on a forum like
this and after six weeks I think I like it. I too will pass it on and maybe we can add more
voices to the site. You members that have had so much input good or bad thanks for
participating in my threads and I will be reading yours with comments too.
Thanks SB Live

Bob 10-19-2006 02:12 PM

The "war on the middle class" thread turns into the "Welcome to SBLive! Thread :-) how 'bout them apples ?

Isaac-Saxxon 10-19-2006 06:25 PM

Flat tax

This will help the Middle class fight back now. Every man that can work should work and pay his or her taxes. The handicap and elderly are the
exception.

Rough Rider 10-19-2006 08:21 PM

Back to the war on the middle class.. I'm sick to death of the current political climate.. Democrats and Republicans .. they like to bring up these wedge issues.. Gun Control, Abortion to name a couple.. these things that DIVIDE us.. and things we (the american public) will NEVER agree on. Let's work together on things that affect us all. Affordable health care, securing our borders.. Improving our schools etc.. and let's stop sending ALL OUR DAMN jobs overseas.

It seems that I "may" have been accused of being an "isolationist" recently on these boards.. nothing could be further from the truth.. I fully understand that we live in a Global Market place these days.. But I don't see how allowing American Companies to send all their jobs overseas is supposed to help me, an avererage American citizen ????

o.k. done with my rant, sorry.

joepole 10-19-2006 09:46 PM

Rights

>I don't see how allowing American Companies to send all their jobs overseas is supposed to help me, an avererage American citizen ????

You don't see how allowing private citizens and businesses (which are owned b private citizens) to spend their money where and how they want helps all American citizens?

And why would the interests of the "average American citizen" outweigh the interests of the below-average American citizen or the above-average American citizen? How about one rule that everybody has to follow? The government doesn't tell you where to buy what you want (goods and services) so why should it tell businesses owners where to buy what they want (materials and labor)?

If you've ever bought a product manufactured overseas or shopped in a store that stocks them (which basically means if you've ever bought anything in your life) then you're just as "guilty" as a company that purchases labor from overseas.