Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   On this day, April 17, 1790 (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162)

LateNight 04-17-2007 10:45 AM

On this day, April 17, 1790

April 17, 1790: America Loses One of Its Most Inventive Minds

1790: Benjamin Franklin dies.

Franklin’s work with electricity brought him international fame, several honorary degrees and membership in Britain’s Royal Society, but he was active in other areas, too. He studied weather closely and proposed better methods for tracking storm progression. He invented the catheter while trying to help his ill brother, and he conducted experiments to make agriculture more efficient.
Franklin retained a lifelong interest in science but the events of the day moved him inexorably toward the politics of revolution.
When Franklin died in 1790 at the age of 84, more than 20,000 people attended the funeral.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 11:19 AM

Great post LN

I wondered who invented the catheter that must have been on hell of a job to guinea pig that one :eek: I love quotes from American History :clap:

Sheba 04-17-2007 06:48 PM

Love the Ben Franklin info!! He was so much more gifted than most of us realize. Trivia note - while working in Paris on America's peace treaty with England, he took his grandson, Benny, to see the maiden voyage of the first manned hot air balloon. A life-long learner with a continual sense of wonder, a truly amazing individual!! :clap:

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
Love the Ben Franklin info!! He was so much more gifted than most of us realize. Trivia note - while working in Paris on America's peace treaty with England, he took his grandson, Benny, to see the maiden voyage of the first manned hot air balloon. A life-long learner with a continual sense of wonder, a truly amazing individual!! :clap:

Good to see such a beautiful white blue eyed tigress on the board. Seems to be more than one cat around this board right funnyguy ? Love to see more history quotes and LN is our guy and I think Joepole is up on his history too.
Thanks Sheba ;)
Isaac

Sheba 04-18-2007 10:08 AM

I'm honored!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Good to see such a beautiful white blue eyed tigress on the board. Seems to be more than one cat around this board right funnyguy ? Love to see more history quotes and LN is our guy and I think Joepole is up on his history too.
Thanks Sheba ;)
Isaac

Thanks for the compliment!! Notice more closely that this cat has green eyes! It's good to be home on American soil and catching up on the current events. Nice to find those who share a love for our history!!:)

Isaac-Saxxon 04-18-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
Thanks for the compliment!! Notice more closely that this cat has green eyes! It's good to be home on American soil and catching up on the current events. Nice to find those who share a love for our history!!:)

I had a hard time seeing green but my eyes are not a sharpe as they use to be :p Welcome back to the States Sheba :clap:
Isaac