Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Childhood Memories (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3075)

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:36 PM

My dad one day after hunting was cleaning his shot gun. he looked down the barrel, stuck a cleaning rod down it, then held it up toward the wall and pulled the trigger. He blew a hole in the wall next to the very top of a window. There must have been a shell lodged, it scared the crap out of him.
He had to put the gun away for a while after he relized he had been turning the barrel up and looking down it.

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:38 PM

Hey Pokie, what you think of Isaac's pic?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 10:44 PM

I actually am in agreement with Joe on this thread. What are y'all doing discharging firearms in homes? I do understand that accidents happen especially in the Barney Fife situation y'all were discussing but come on! Purpa, kids in the house and shooting at targets out the window in a neighborhood? It doesn't matter if it was in the same room or not?! Are you sure you aren't really Jed Clampett?:eek:

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720 (Post 25123)
Hey Pokie, what you think of Isaac's pic?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one!! Looks like he's expecting someone to do all the cooking for him! Bet Mrs. Isaac has a surprise in store for him!:laugh:

piemaker720 11-20-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25125)
I actually am in agreement with Joe on this thread. What are y'all doing discharging firearms in homes? I do understand that accidents happen especially in the Barney Fife situation y'all were discussing but come on! Purpa, kids in the house and shooting at targets out the window in a neighborhood? It doesn't matter if it was in the same room or not?! Are you sure you aren't really Jed Clampett?:eek:

Accidents happen sure, but compared today with 30 or 40 years ago, people kept guns out in the open, not locked up, kids knew better than to touch them. You also never heard of people shooting others like in this day and time. Kids were better taught better back 30 years ago. People kept their guns on 2 nails on the wall or hanging in the window of a pick-up. Back then I guess we were all Jed Clampetts.

purpahurl 11-20-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25125)

Damn Strait, I was looking for some Texas Tea!!!

Notice the misspelling.:D

Pocahontas 11-20-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720 (Post 25128)
Accidents happen sure, but compared today with 30 or 40 years ago, people kept guns out in the open, not locked up, kids knew better than to touch them. You also never heard of people shooting others like in this day and time. Kids were better taught better back 30 years ago. People kept their guns on 2 nails on the wall or hanging in the window of a pick-up. Back then I guess we were all Jed Clampetts.

Even when I was a child my Daddy had a gun that he kept in a locked drawer.
I'm sure glad he did because he was a city slicker and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.:D
On the other side of the family my mother's father was the town sheriff.
He was always cautious around us and only wore the gun if he was on duty. Of course we were never allowed to touch or go near it! I'm just surprised at how openly exposed to guns you were.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-21-2007 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25130)
I'm sure glad he did because he was a city slicker and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.:D
He was always cautious around us and only wore the gun if he was on duty. Of course we were never allowed to touch or go near it! I'm just surprised at how openly exposed to guns you were.

You just do not mess with the long arm of the law :nono:

piemaker720 11-21-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25130)

It is just not me. Country folks back years ago taught their kids what to touch and what not to. You don't remember ever seeing guys in pick-ups driving around with guns hanging on a rack in the window. The thing is they kept their guns there even when they were at home. I was hunting with my dad at the ageof 9 or 10 and we had our own gun a 410. We learned to shoot it and when not to. That was a way of life and I thinkthe now years are alot weirder than 30 years ago. We I was coon hunting, we use to go down a dirt road stick kitchen matches up in the sand and shoot them. If you could light the match then you could shoot a coon, because to sell the fur it needed to be shot in the head if it was shot anywhere else the hide was not as valueable. The matches developed very good aim.:)

Pocahontas 11-21-2007 09:13 AM

I do remember during deer season my brother and his friends having guns in their vehicles but that's the only time I saw them in there.

joepole 11-21-2007 11:10 AM

I have discharged a gun inside my parents' house. A squirrel climbed in their dryer vent and chewed his way out into their laundry room. He ate most of the trim off the windows before I finally showed up to kill him. I figured .22 shorts inside a brick house was safe enough but it was, in fact, against the law.

Pocahontas 11-21-2007 11:16 AM

Apparently I'm the only one on this thread who hasn't discharged a firearm inside a home or building! Wow this surprises me! Guess I just don't have any Ellie Mae in me except for loving critters!:D

purpahurl 11-21-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 25174)
Apparently I'm the only one on this thread who hasn't discharged a firearm inside a home our building! Wow this surprises me! Guess I just don't have any Ellie Mae in me except for loving critters!:D

Come on Pokie, try it you'll like it, everyones doing it.:D

Texasbelle 11-21-2007 12:32 PM

You are not alone Pokie. I've never discharged a gun inside a building. It appears we are the smart two here.

rhertz 11-21-2007 12:39 PM

I remember as a kid the troopers would put on an indoor gun exhibit at the state fair. The shooter would fire his revolver and slice a card in two, pop balloons, shoot backwards using a mirror, and all sorts of stuff that is probably illegal nowadays.