Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Think About This! (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523)

piemaker720 05-20-2007 01:02 PM

Think About This!

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...ing.rpt.04.pdf

Quote:

US companies that moved to other countries
Accenture LLP--Used to be Anderson Consulting
Alcoa--China
Amerock
Avt--semicondutor manufactor
BASF- Mexico
Bic USA Pens and shavers
Carrier Corp.-- air conditioners
Citigroup & Tyco International--Mexico
Continental Tire North America
Converse Shoes
Delphi
Diamler Chrysler--Brazil
Earthlink
Eastman Kodak-- throw away cameras--moved to China & Mexico [USA Today]
Electrolux Frigidaire
Etch-a-Sketch toys
Financial Corperations: HSBC, Lloyds TBS Group, AXA Insurance, Barclay's PLC
Fruit of The Loom
Furniture Brand International--Drexel Heritage,Thomasville, Lane,and Broyhill
Gates Rubber Company--Under Tomkins PLC
GKN
Haworth Inc.
Hoover
IBM
John Deere Cotton Pickers
K2 snow shoes
Keeler Die Cast
Kemet Corp.
Levi- jeans
Lexmark printers- China
Magnequench--does 80% of magnet powder for US Smart bombs
Matsu****a
Mattel Barbie Doll Playhouse- China
Maxtor Corp.--Computer parts
Motorola
Phelps Dodge Magnet Wire
Radio Flyer-- wagons, tricycle, scooters
RAG Aktiongesellschaft--China
Remington Products Co.--electric shavers
Royal Dutch/Shell Group--China & Singapore
Royal Phillips Electronics
Rubbermaid Kitchen- China
Samsonite Luggage- China
Samsung Electronics
Schrader-Bridgeport--Under Tomkins PLC
Seagate Technology--computer parts
Siemans AG-- China & Eastern Europe
Sola Lenses
Sykes Corp.-- call centers
Texas Instruments
Toshiba--China& Philippines
Travelocity
Tretorn Sports
Trico Wiper Blades--under Tomkins PLC
Unifi Inc.--Textile
Union Tools
United Technologies--China & India
United Technologies--Sobsidairy of Carrier Corp.
Werner Corp--makes ladders for Home Depot
Western Digital Corp.--computer parts
Whirlpool
:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

http://dorgan.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=274413
Read this!

Isaac-Saxxon 05-20-2007 01:57 PM

Hey Pie. I am all for buy anything and everything I can made in the good old US of A :flag: The out sourcing of jobs is bad for the country but the lazy ass people in America that we pay to sit on their butts and think they are too good for those jobs is what makes me mad. Buy American made products :clap: Vote out liberal politicians :clap:

piemaker720 05-20-2007 02:21 PM

That is good, Isaac. I hope this will enlighten some folks and get them to thinking when they go shopping. There are other companies and i will update the list. But I posted this to show that not only do we have to worry about Illegals here, that if a copany chooses they take the jobs too. Where does it end? I know one way, fire the darn politicians.:mad: :mad:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-20-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
That is good, Isaac. I hope this will enlighten some folks and get them to thinking when they go shopping. There are other companies and i will update the list. But I posted this to show that not only do we have to worry about Illegals here, that if a company chooses they take the jobs too. Where does it end? I know one way, fire the darn politicians.:mad: :mad:

Yes quite right :clap: Vote out liberal politicians :clap: fire the darn politicians.;)

joepole 05-20-2007 04:14 PM

Keeping your business/employees in the US when it would be profitable to outsource is bad for business and bad for the economy.

AnimeSpirit 05-20-2007 04:33 PM

We'll remember that when you or someone you know gets laid off because the company moved out of the country, Joe.

It wouldn't be so bad if some countries were moving their business here as well.

joepole 05-20-2007 04:48 PM

Whether or not it personally affected me or someone I know wouldn't change the laws of economics.

rhertz 05-20-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
We'll remember that when you or someone you know gets laid off because the company moved out of the country, Joe.

Is that bad or good when we loose one assembly line job and gain two new high tech jobs to replace it in a growing world economy?

Quote:

It wouldn't be so bad if some countries were moving their business here as well.

They do in a free market. The topic of this thread seems rooted in protectionism..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectionism

I haven't always felt this way, but I'm not pro-protectionism anymore... I'm a free trade kinda guy. I believe in letting the market solve problems, not governments or politicians.

piemaker720 05-20-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Is that bad or good when we loose one assembly line job and gain two new high tech jobs to replace it in a growing world economy?
If you think we lose one and gain 2 high-tech businesses, I hope you are right. But look at some of the computers companies that moved. Some of those companies aren't that old of a business like travelocity. It seems weird when they move companies to another country, then they ship the merchandise back here to be sold. Now does that company pay income tax? No, those companies do not pay taxes. So tell me again, how are they helping us?

joepole 05-20-2007 11:09 PM

They most definitely pay taxes.

BrainSmashR 05-21-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

So tell me again, how are they helping us?
Well that's basically the exact opposite of a free market economy. The entrepreneur in a free market economy isn't necessarily interested in helping you or his country of origin, but rather in maximizing his profit potential, and I think we ALL know Mexicans work a heck of a lot cheaper than Americans.

AnimeSpirit 05-21-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
They most definitely pay taxes.

Uh...got any references there?

BrainSmashR 05-21-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Uh...got any references there?

Umm, Anime, you need to be a little more specific when arguing this point. While I understand what you were trying to say, even the illegal alien receiving cash money under the table pays taxes when he goes shopping and/or putting gas in their car to GET to Wal-Mart in the first place.

piemaker720 05-21-2007 12:10 PM

We know who is full of what! If there is a company in another country they probably don't pay taxes. That would be the same as a military person that serves in another country, they can not be taxed because they were on foriegn soil. If someone says the military pays the tax then they are full of bull****.

joepole 05-21-2007 01:59 PM

It is nothing like the military. If you do business and earn money in the US you pay taxes here, regardless of where your company is headquartered.