Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Homegrown in Shreveport Bossier (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429)

sbl_admin 05-11-2007 05:14 PM

Homegrown in Shreveport Bossier

SBLive! Editor Allen Marsalis discusses locally grown produce in Shreveport Bossier

Isaac-Saxxon 05-12-2007 04:40 PM

I would like to see more local columns like this one. Shreveport Times sux big time all they can talk about it national news. Allen you are getting better all the time. I love the farmers market I go all the time and I have purchased Hummer Honey at the market. I have a garden but I can not grow everything and the farmers market is a good place to fill in with real home grown stuff. Many local vegetable stands sell CA goods and call them home grown but the farmers market is the real deal :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

piemaker720 05-12-2007 04:43 PM

Where is the farmer's market located?

Isaac-Saxxon 05-12-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
Where is the farmer's market located?

Downtown just up the hill from Sciport ! Sat and Wed mornings get there early good stuff goes fast ;)

piemaker720 05-12-2007 04:49 PM

thanks

Sheba 05-12-2007 06:22 PM

Great info!!

Great article!! The veggies look so awesome, and I LOVE Hummer & Sons honey. Can't wait for the market to open. Thanks for good info

rhertz 05-12-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Downtown just up the hill from Sciport ! Sat and Wed mornings get there early good stuff goes fast ;)

Not this year! This year they will be open Tue evenings and Sat mornings according to the article. I work downtown and I plan on checking it out Tuesdays after work.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-12-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Not this year! This year they will be open Tue evenings and Sat mornings according to the article. I work downtown and I plan on checking it out Tuesdays after work.

I am a Sat morning kind of guy. That afternoon traffic sux big time. Oh how I love that Silver Queen Sweet Corn :clap: :clap: and sweet summer time onions with some lady cream peas !!! :) :) :) Oh almost forgot they sell some great whole wheat bread and add some honey to that and you got it going on :clap:

rhertz 05-12-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

I am a Sat morning kind of guy. That afternoon traffic sux big time. Oh how I love that Silver Queen Sweet Corn :clap: :clap: and sweet summer time onions with some lady cream peas !!! :) :) :) Oh almost forgot they sell some great whole wheat bread and add some honey to that and you got it going on :clap:

I can't wait until June 2nd Isaac. I forgot all about the lady cream peas!! How could I?? Yeah I'm even thinking of buying a deep freezer for the garage. I only have one unit right now in the kitchen. But good southern folks got to have a second unit or "deep freeze" on the patio or in the garage. I enjoyed this article as well and it has me thinking of long ago as a boy growing up in shreveport.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-12-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I can't wait until June 2nd Isaac. I forgot all about the lady cream peas!! How could I?? Yeah I'm even thinking of buying a deep freezer for the garage. I only have one unit right now in the kitchen. But good southern folks got to have a second unit or "deep freeze" on the patio or in the garage. I enjoyed this article as well and it has me thinking of long ago as a boy growing up in shreveport.

Rhertz I have the chest freezer in the carport and I call it the vault. I keep deer meat, fish, veggies and I think my wife looks at like a morgue :laugh:
Then in June we get Ruston Peaches :clap: I married a Ruston PEACH and next week it will be 24 years :clap: :clap: I am the lucky one ;) she is a mighty fine PEACH :clap:

Pocahontas 05-12-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin
SBLive! Editor Allen Marsalis discusses locally grown produce in Shreveport Bossier

Nice article Allen! Those veggies do look delish! I enjoyed buying some homemade soaps, salsa and bread last year at the market as well! There's no honey like Hummer's either!:lick: Yummy!

Sheba 05-12-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Rhertz I have the chest freezer in the carport and I call it the vault. I keep deer meat, fish, veggies and I think my wife looks at like a morgue :laugh:
Then in June we get Ruston Peaches :clap: I married a Ruston PEACH and next week it will be 24 years :clap: :clap: I am the lucky one ;) she is a mighty fine PEACH :clap:

Congrats on 24 years!! Wow, that's some good news on this forum!!:clap: :clap:

rhertz 05-12-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

I married a Ruston PEACH and next week it will be 24 years :clap: :clap: I am the lucky one ;) she is a mighty fine PEACH :clap:

Congratuations Mr and Ms Isaac! My 24th happens to be next week too (monday) so imagine that. We both were at the alter in the very same week! Hey there buddy, next one is our "silver aniversary". A big one. I better start saving up! :D

Texasbelle 05-12-2007 10:35 PM

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Isaac!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hats off to Mrs. Isaac for putting up with him for 24 years!

piemaker720 05-12-2007 10:51 PM

CONGRADULATION on your 24 and may you have at least 24 more years together. This is for both Mr & Mrs. Isaac and Mr.& Mrs. Rhertz.:clap: :clap:
:bow: :bow:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-13-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
CONGRADULATION on your 24 and may you have at least 24 more years together. This is for both Mr & Mrs. Isaac and Mr.& Mrs. Rhertz.:clap: :clap:
:bow: :bow:

Now time for the second half to start :clap: :clap:

Allen Marsalis 05-13-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Nice article Allen! Those veggies do look delish! I enjoyed buying some homemade soaps, salsa and bread last year at the market as well! There's no honey like Hummer's either!:lick: Yummy!

Thanks Pocahontas! This was the first article where I had the chance to interview someone. I met some really nice folks writing this one. And I learned a lot of things about bees that I didn't know before.

Happy Mothers Day!!

LateNight 05-13-2007 02:28 PM

wow.. 24 years.. that's a long time to do ANYTHING ;)

Congrats all around !! :clapbig:

lancemaria 05-15-2007 02:16 AM

can u elaborate the topic about?! i just want to know more..

thanks..

Isaac-Saxxon 05-15-2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancemaria
can u elaborate the topic about?! i just want to know more..

thanks..

See opening page "HOME GROWN" then you will know. Welcome to SBLive and may your stay be a good one. :clap: :D :D

Isaac-Saxxon 06-16-2007 08:34 AM

Sheveport Farmers Market is great this time of year !!

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin

I made my Saturday morning trip to the market this morning 6/16/07 and these photos might help for those of you that might hesitate to go. There is more than just veggies and these photos will help. I have a few names that will go with the photos. :clap: :clap: Nothing like fresh summer time veggies ;)
Sweet Corn
Attachment 774

This nice lady had quite a nice selection of house plants
Attachment 775
This is one of my favorite stops. Eric and Amy Drabwell have whole grain bread and other kinds of white bread and cookies. His email is eric@drabwell.com and he is a very nice man. :clap:
Attachment 776
Page's Pasta LLC you can find them at www.pagespasta.com. They have Artisan Pasta and gift baskets too. Very well done. I would choose the whole wheat pasta.
Attachment 777
More Page's Pasta
Attachment 778

Isaac-Saxxon 06-16-2007 08:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Page #2 Shreveport Farmers Market :D

Sam Mondello Produce & Firewood 741-1090 Bossier City, LA
Attachment 779

Hummer and Son Honey 742-3541 Bossier City, LA
Attachment 780
Shirley's Tea Cakes very sweet lady and a very nice display of cooking :clap:
Attachment 781
Longhorn Ranch naturally lean beef. Low in fat and cholesterol never use hormones or steroids. Show cattle and beef for sale.
Suzanne & Wyatt Harris whlonghorns@eastex.net 903-766-3878
Attachment 782
Home of Champion Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle
I hope you have enjoyed my little outing as much as I did and will tonight for dinner ;)

Neo 06-16-2007 10:55 AM

Did you see any hanging gardens or plants at the farm?

guitarman 06-16-2007 10:58 AM

Do they ever have live music at the Farmers Market ? I have heard of other places like this one that will have a band play :clap:

Pocahontas 06-16-2007 11:28 AM

Nice photos! I've been once to the market and it would have been much livelier with some music. I'm not much of a morning person so maybe add the music to the newly added afternoon market. Are you in a band guitarman?:cool:

rhertz 06-16-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Page #2 Shreveport Farmers Market :D

I'm really missing out by sleeping in on Saturday mornings.. I really need to go down and check this out. LOL, compare what I see to what is growing in my garden! ;)

That sweet corn sure looks good. Krogers sometimes get colorado or florida sweet corn, but this locally grown corn I'm sure is much better. LOL, much better than frozen cream corn in a tube.

Thanks for sharing those pics there Isaac. Maybe it will inspire me to go to bed early next Friday night so I can wake with the birds and make it downtown.

joepole 06-16-2007 01:38 PM

My wife went with my parents and my oldest daughter this morning. They liked it.

Isaac-Saxxon 06-17-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman
Do they ever have live music at the Farmers Market ? I have heard of other places like this one that will have a band play :clap:

Time to time they have a Bluegrass Band that plays but the first three weekends this year I have not see them there. I think it really makes people feel good to hear live music. I will check into this and let you know more.

guitarman 06-18-2007 06:41 AM

Music in the morning may be to much for some. Looking at the pictures I can see the crowd was not that young so I can see why they might not want the music to be blues or rock :D

LateNight 06-18-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman
Music in the morning may be to much for some. Looking at the pictures I can see the crowd was not that young so I can see why they might not want the music to be blues or rock :D

LOL could you get a rock or blues band to play a gig that early in the mornin' is the question :cool:

Isaac-Saxxon 06-18-2007 08:14 AM

I think the only band that would be up that early would be Bluegrass and the people that play in those bands for the most part are country folks. :clap:
Even with out the music the market has a nice atmosphere about it and that early morning breeze and open market make it nice. One other thing. When you go to local veggie stands they might not have the cleanest place but down at the market they take down and set up twice a week and the place is very clean :clap:

Allen Marsalis 06-18-2007 03:27 PM

I posted some extra pictures I have of the Farmers Market and Hummer and Son Honey. They are here in my photo gallery:

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/sho...29&storycatid=

Snow Man 06-18-2007 03:30 PM

Would someone please send me a fresh carrot :D Matter of fact make that two please :laugh:

Pocahontas 06-18-2007 03:33 PM

Thanks Allen for sharing! I don't know if y'all have tried Hummer and Son Honey but it is the best!! They also make BBQ sauce and honey mustard! Give it a try! Yum!:lick: :lick:

rhertz 06-19-2007 04:19 PM

It's Tuesday evening and I'm headed down to the Farmer's Market. I'll bring my camera and maybe take a few shots to share. BRB :D

Isaac-Saxxon 06-19-2007 06:25 PM

I bet rhertz is doing some LA sweating about now at the afternoon farmers market :eek: I take the morning trip myself. Rhertz you better have some good photos to add to this thread tomorrow or tonight :rolleyes:

rhertz 06-19-2007 08:14 PM

My trip to Farmers Market

6 Attachment(s)
Isaac-Saxxon, it was haught! Yes I was sweating, but it was worth it. I arrived home with some cut honey comb, tomatos, lady creme peas, pickles, salsa, and a loaf of jalopena cheese bread made fresh this morning by a dude from Australia. So I guess it was worth it. Oh yes, and I came home with pictures.

Picture of the plaza:

Attachment 803

I met Billy Hummer who is a really nice guy. he was serving samples BBQ beef using his honey BBQ sauce made with longhorn beef from the booth next door to him. I mean to tell you it was awesome. I wanted to buy a pint of it to take home for supper, but it was just a sample on a cracker to feature his sauce and his neighbors longhorn beef. I would have to buy some beef and some BBQ sauce and make it myself. I'm too lazy for that. Billy let me take his picture. LOL, he sure is getting lots of exposure on shreveport.com.

Attachment 801

This was one of my favorite booths. It was almost all "heirloom tomatos". I had no idea what they were at first. Freaky things in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I bought a pint of brown cherry tomatos cause I liked how the sample tasted. (more burgundy in color)

Attachment 804

Cool pic of blueberries. I'm no photographer but accidents do happen!

Attachment 800

Ruston Peaches!!

Attachment 802

And even some veggies!

Attachment 805

Rhertz out!!

rhertz 06-19-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks Allen for sharing! I don't know if y'all have tried Hummer and Son Honey but it is the best!! They also make BBQ sauce and honey mustard! Give it a try! Yum!:lick: :lick:

Pokey, that sauce is awesome. I'm still licking my chops (from the sample) But I didn't buy any! I think I will go back on Sat or next Tue and pick up a bottle or two. Yeah I read the article and figured yeah Billy sells honey so he sells another "me too" BBQ sauce. Not true. I don't know if it was his BBQ sauce or the longhorn beef that made the sample so good, but I might go back next week and offer them a few bucks for 4 or 5 "Hummer Longhorn BBQ Crackers" main course! ;)

Pocahontas 06-19-2007 09:39 PM

Glad you tried it! I thought it would be popular.:)

Oh and how about those Ruston peaches? I'm going over this weekend to get some and enjoy putting in some time at the Peach Fest. It has some great live music and other fun activities.:twist:

rhertz 06-19-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Glad you tried it! I thought it would be popular.:)

Oh and how about those Ruston peaches? I'm going over this weekend to get some and enjoy putting in some time at the Peach Fest. It has some great live music and other fun activities.:twist:

I didn't buy any peaches. Did I mess up? I did buy some lady cream peas because I remember someone posted about them here and I figured they must be good. I've been munching on chips and salsa while catching up. The salsa is (was) really good!