Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Culture & Community (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Woman Stripped After Being Branded Witch In Jharkhand (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2188)

Isaac-Saxxon 07-24-2007 06:54 AM

Woman Stripped After Being Branded Witch In Jharkhand

http://newspostindia.com/report-8434
A women was stripped and brutally beaten with hot iron rods after she was branded a witch and held responsible for the death of a woman in a Jharkhand village, police said Monday.

The incident came to light only after a week when the woman from Dadighagar in Hazaribagh district, about 130 km from here, approached some local reporters Sunday.

Basdeo Manjhi said 45-year-old Chandmuni Devi had used black magic against his wife who died of snakebite on July 14. He complained to the panchayat that ordered that Chandmuni be stripped and beaten with hot rods and sickles.

Chandmuni and her husband braved threats and filed a police complaint against six people five days later. But the police did not take any action either and the couple approached the media for help.

Witch-hunt cases are rampant in Jharkhand. More than 600 people, mostly women, have been killed in last 10 years after they were charged of practicing black magic.

rhertz 07-24-2007 12:14 PM

Makes sense. This is the same country where people worship rats... Witches bad, rats good! Go figure.

AnimeSpirit 07-24-2007 10:30 PM

Those morons don't know what black magick is. They just don't want to take responsibility for the misfortunes that come from living your own life.

Magick can't be used to harm a lifeform...period! It simply doesn't work that way.

Pocahontas 07-24-2007 10:40 PM

rhertz...I'm not watching that video...I'm done with rats!!:nono:

I agree with you Anime! If black magic truly worked on harming people it would be frequently used! There's no proven cases that I know of!:rolleyes:

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I agree with you Anime! If black magic truly worked on harming people it would be frequently used! There's no proven cases that I know of!:rolleyes:

Well, I do know of cases where people have been substantially effected by the use of magick...in occult circles, of course. However, what people must understand is that, magick or not, YOU are in control. No one else. It is YOUR life and YOU are in control of your own fate. No spell of ritual will completely change your life, no matter what the caster believes.

Magick is meant to provide a gentle push toward a desired goal. It is a plea before fate itself which may put chance and circumstances beyond your direct control into your favor. Now if someone makes such a plea so that fate were to work against you, but your actions and attitude worked naturally in your favor, then the spell would naturally NOT work. This is how ritual magick works.

This principle can also be applied to other religions as well. In Christianity, God is all powerful and can work miracles. With a little prayer, he can help you up from even the worst misfortune. Despite this however, He will not lift you up if you are not willing to stand on your own. It is your life and you have control. ;)

P.S. The rat thing is really disgusting. :freaky:

guitarman 07-25-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Well, I do know of cases where people have been substantially effected by the use of magick...in occult circles, of course. However, what people must understand is that, magick or not, YOU are in control. No one else. It is YOUR life and YOU are in control of your own fate. No spell of ritual will completely change your life, no matter what the caster believes.

Magick is meant to provide a gentle push toward a desired goal. It is a plea before fate itself which may put chance and circumstances beyond your direct control into your favor. Now if someone makes such a plea so that fate were to work against you, but your actions and attitude worked naturally in your favor, then the spell would naturally NOT work. This is how ritual magick works.

This principle can also be applied to other religions as well. In Christianity, God is all powerful and can work miracles. With a little prayer, he can help you up from even the worst misfortune. Despite this however, He will not lift you up if you are not willing to stand on your own. It is your life and you have control. ;)

P.S. The rat thing is really disgusting. :freaky:

Who is it you pray to ? "Now if someone makes such a plea "

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman
Who is it you pray to ? "Now if someone makes such a plea "

I wear the Pagan start around my neck and pray to both the Lord and Lady of the Old Religion, hence my knowledge of magick.

joepole 07-25-2007 03:36 PM

We're all forgetting an important point. Was she, in fact, a witch?

LateNight 07-25-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole

how's that go ? throw her in the lake, if she floats, she's a witch, and if she sinks and drowns she's not a witch ? :cool:

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

It is not illegal to be a witch in Jharkhand, so what if she is? Does it mean it is right to treat her with such cruelty for it?

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
how's that go ? throw her in the lake, if she floats, she's a witch, and if she sinks and drowns she's not a witch ? :cool:

Unfortunately, that is exactly how the Malleus Maleficarum described it. Such injustice that happened in those times and I see they still happen today.

joepole 07-25-2007 04:13 PM

>Does it mean it is right to treat her with such cruelty for it?

No, it just makes it funnier.

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

>Does it mean it is right to treat her with such cruelty for it?

No, it just makes it funnier.

Would it be funnier if someone pointed a finger at you for some stupid reason and treated you this way?

joepole 07-25-2007 04:31 PM

No, I'm not a witch.

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not a witch.

Oh...so you're saying persecuting someone over their religion is funny? And how long have you been against religious freedom?

LateNight 07-25-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not a witch.

"HE'S A WITCH!! BURN HIM!!! BURN HIM!! He's a witch !!

http://www.caseyjones.net/imagelinks/joepole.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Awesome! :D

:hifive:

joepole 07-25-2007 07:30 PM

I think anything involving an adult calling themselves "a witch" is hilarious. Tolerance doesn't mean you can't think something is dumb.

rhertz 07-25-2007 08:27 PM

You guys just don't understand the PC world do ya..... Jeez, the word is not "Witch" it is "Wicca". Where have you been? Now get it right...

OK, for a slight change of subject, I remember a movie playing at Quail Creek Cinema in the early '70s where they have you a vomit bag when you walked in. No kidding. It was about torturing witches in Salem, but I cannot remember the name of the movie. I do not think Anime would like this movie. But I'm thinking it contributed in some way to the modern day horror movie special effects industry. :D

rhertz 07-25-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

That doesn't look like senior graphic design work like anime and geodood. You still a greenhorn? :duck:

Texasbelle 07-25-2007 09:15 PM

The real Joepole would have be one of those blue people with no brain. Could you puh-lease get it right? Oh and don't forget he doesn't have a heart either?!

AnimeSpirit 07-25-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
You guys just don't understand the PC world do ya..... Jeez, the word is not "Witch" it is "Wicca". Where have you been? Now get it right...

Actually, Wiccans and many Pagans do, in fact, use the word "witch" in reference to themselves as they are, in fact, practitioners of Witchcraft. Those who do use this term do so in an attempt to dispel the provocative meaning that has come to be placed on the term over the past centuries.

However, just to be fair, there are those in the occult who do not prefer this term as well because they may belong to some group of practitioners that possess their own labels (i.e. shamans, druids, etc.). If you want to be PC, rhertz, you would use the term "Craft User."

As for you, Joe, you can laugh all you want when someone calls themself a witch. They are out there. THOUSANDS of them! In the words of Rev. Derrek Younger, "They cook your food, they give you medicine, they babysit your children, they protect you while you sleep." We look like everyone else you've ever met. Take care when you laugh at us because you never know what people around you are one of us and what they do for you.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Not baby sitting my kids :nono: Their evil spells may work on the weak minded but that is only because a person might want to be under a spell. Might want to google up the numbers because wicca is a very small group of people. Very small. Can't wait until Halloween :eek: and all this time I thought dust my broom was a ZZ top song :laugh:
Attachment 1188
Hey that looks like that tax monkey :laugh:

LateNight 07-26-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Not baby sitting my kids :nono: Their evil spells may work on the weak minded but that is only because a person might want to be under a spell. Might want to google up the numbers because wicca is a very small group of people. Very small. Can't wait until Halloween :eek: and all this time I thought dust my broom was a ZZ top song :laugh:
Attachment 1188
Hey that looks like that tax monkey :laugh:

For the record, "Dust My Broom" was recorded by Robert Johnson in 1936. He's often credited for writing the song.. but that may or may not be absolutely true.

Elmore James gave it a shot around 1951

:cool:

AnimeSpirit 07-26-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Might want to google up the numbers because wicca is a very small group of people. Very small.

It is impossible for anyone to accurately calculate the exact number of actual Wiccans because many Craft users keep their practice secret due to persecution, but I can assure you that it's no small number. There are 785 registered Craft Users at Witchvox in Louisiana alone and that is conceivably a small percentage of the overall population of Craft users whe you attempt to calculate those that don't have computers or simply haven't registered. Pick one of the larger states like California and that number jumps to 4011. That's only 2 of the 50 states in our country alone. There are thousands of us out there!

Reference:
http://www.witchvox.com

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

For the record, "Dust My Broom" was recorded by Robert Johnson in 1936. He's often credited for writing the song.. but that may or may not be absolutely true.

Elmore James gave it a shot around 1951

Did not ZZ release this song ? :D

LateNight 07-26-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Did not ZZ release this song ? :D

Oh, heck if I know.. wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did however. :)

So did the Bluebirds :cool:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few google findings:

Lack of sexist beliefs and practices: A common principle in many Wiccan traditions is the equality between the sexes. Both men and women are viewed as having their female and male side. Each person has the task of balancing the two. Within Wicca, the female principle is considered as powerful and sometimes even more important than the male.

Wiccans commune with the Goddess and the God. Many teens reject the male domination seen in many Christian denominations -- particularly in Roman Catholicism and in some faith groups within the conservative wing of Protestantism. Here, positions of power and authority are reserved for men. Wiccans view the female and male principle in balance everywhere in the universe.

The Wiccan religion does not have a list of "thou shalt nots." It has a single, universal rule of behavior: the Wiccan Rede. This states "An it harm none, do as thou wilt." i.e. do whatever you want as long as it harms nobody including yourself. The decision whether to become sexually active before marriage is thus not banned by an absolute prohibition. A Wiccan makes her/his decision is based on an analytical process which determines the potential for harm to either party. Instead of pre-marital sex being prohibited, it is can be seen as a morally positive activity in some circumstances, as long as precautions are first taken to avoid pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, health problems, negative effects on the relationship, and damage to each person's self-esteem.
This is our dear friend Glenda the Good Witch ;)
Attachment 1189

AnimeSpirit 07-26-2007 08:55 AM

Right, you've actually got a lot of factual data there, Isaac. Yes, pre-marital sex is not at all discouraged in Paganism. It is left up to the couple to make this decision for themselves. If you have each other's well being in mind, then you do not risk encountering evil in any form.

Pagans believe that if your intention is not to harm your partner, then you simply can't go wrong no matter what you do. This is a very tall order. Not harming a person involves respecting their body, their mind, and their life as a whole. Evil stems from suffering and pain and hurting others.

Pagans acknowledge and worship a sacred lord and lady is are seen as the mother and father of all life. It is not uncommon for some groups to give the mother a little more attention than the father, but the love is equally shared.

Kudos on getting some accurate data there, Isaac. :peace:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Being a Christian I do not agree with any of that but to each his own. The Bible does speak of Pagans and their fate.
Do not eat cherry seeds they will make ya sick ? :barf: :throwup: :blech:
Attachment 1190
I see Pie and LN sitting like crows on the wire :laugh: Pie you have a opinion on everything come on and speak up :peace:

howela 07-26-2007 09:11 AM

Voodoo

http://www.lowcountrynow.com/stories...ttlejohn.shtml
Quote:

I also was among the many who queried him about his life as sheriff, his reputation as a voodoo witch doctor
Quote:

....his pitched witchcraft battles with such interesting characters as Dr. Buzzard and Dr. Eagle, was virtually perfect well into his eighth decade.
Quote:

The top drawer was filled to overflowing with letters from all parts of the United States and many foreign countries, seeking his help in removing a "curse" which the letter writers felt had been placed upon them.And what I do for them can't be done with medicine or psychiatry. A person who believes that he has been cursed, or that a 'root' has been placed on him, will sicken and die just as though he were stricken with cancer or some other malady."
In my hometown there are people who still believe. As a child I remember our Sheriff McTeer was known for helping rid one of a curse, or root. There have been books written of Ed McTeer but nothing brings about the reality of all this as seeing someone actually digging up their own yard searching for a "root" and being unable to find it, calling on Sheriff McTeer.

Buy the book
Click here

LateNight 07-26-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

I see Pie and LN sitting like crows on the wire :laugh: Pie you have a opinion on everything come on and speak up :peace:

It wasn't good enough that I called on everyone to burn JoePole for being a witch ??

joepole 07-26-2007 10:41 AM

>you can laugh all you want when someone calls themself a witch. They are out there. THOUSANDS of them!

There are thousands of weirdos of every type (google "furries" for evidence of such) that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. A witch is a child's Halloween costume, not anything around which an adult should base any part of their life.

AnimeSpirit 07-26-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

There are thousands of weirdos of every type (google "furries" for evidence of such) that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. A witch is a child's Halloween costume, not anything around which an adult should base any part of their life.

If that is how you feel, then you have likely never met a group of Pagans in their spiritual environment. Therefore you are no authority on the subject whereas I am. You can think what you want with your half-baked opinions.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

It wasn't good enough that I called on everyone to burn JoePole for being a witch ??

joepole is many things but he is no witch :laugh: :laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 01:56 PM

I have heard of silence of the lamb but silence of the PIE ?? NEVER :D Let us hear from the PIE!! :piethrow:

piemaker720 07-26-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

LN said it good Burn Witch Burn. I say one thing My son is Pagan, I am not, I told him his belief is his, as along he don't start dressing gothic or getting piercing everywhere. I have went to Pagan stores with him and have found things like herb books that were interesting. I'm not a witch I'm a B**ch can't you tell.:laugh: :laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 02:00 PM

:footballsmiley: :yes: :footballsmiley: Good post Pie ;)

joepole 07-26-2007 02:22 PM

>If that is how you feel, then you have likely never met a group of Pagans in their spiritual environment.

I have also never hung out with furries or Trekkies. Doesn't mean I can't think they're ridiculous.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-26-2007 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

>If that is how you feel, then you have likely never met a group of Pagans in their spiritual environment.

I have also never hung out with furries or Trekkies. Doesn't mean I can't think they're ridiculous.

Need help here joepole. I know what a Trekkie is but furries ? Should I not ask :o I am sure it is something freaky
Attachment 1192