Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What is your favorite type of music? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267)

scarlett 09-15-2006 03:16 PM

What is your favorite type of music?

Mine is Rock, heavy metal, and techno anything head banging heh

LateNight 09-15-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett
Mine is Rock, heavy metal, and techno anything head banging heh

To each their own.. I like a style called "No Depression" :-) Look it up ! Other than that, I also like your typical 'roots' rock, R&B, Blues. And when it comes to live music, just give me some guitar or two, a bass player, some drums, maybe throw in some keyboards.. good melodies, maybe some harmonies every now and again, and SMART lyrics, and I'm there.

geodood 09-16-2006 02:04 AM

I hate to be close minded, but when it comes down to music, my tastes like this:

#1 Todd Rundgren and Utopia (Todd is God)
#2 Yes (Steve Howe and Jon Anderson are prohets)
#3 Kansas - Can't have too much violin or cowbell in my rock and roll.
#4 Rush drummer Neil Peart is unreal. Best drummer and lyrist ever born
#5 Pink Floyd. Dark side of the Moon and Wish you were here are classics
#6 Emerson, Lake and Palmer, tied with Frank Zappa tied with Steve Miller.
#7 Southern rock and roll - Lynard Skynard, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers
#8 Mid-Northern rock and roll - Styx, Steely Dan, Led Zeplin, Bad Company, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult
#9 Edgar Winter Group, Black Sabboth, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Oh I'm starting to show my age..

But I must admit that I like much of the new rock like Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Nickleback, and the list goes on....

Rough Rider 09-16-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geodood
I hate to be close minded, but when it comes down to music, my tastes like this:

#1 Todd Rundgren and Utopia (Todd is God)
#2 Yes (Steve Howe and Jon Anderson are prohets)
#3 Kansas - Can't have too much violin or cowbell in my rock and roll.
#4 Rush drummer Neil Peart is unreal. Best drummer and lyrist ever born
#5 Pink Floyd. Dark side of the Moon and Wish you were here are classics
#6 Emerson, Lake and Palmer, tied with Frank Zappa tied with Steve Miller.
#7 Southern rock and roll - Lynard Skynard, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers
#8 Mid-Northern rock and roll - Styx, Steely Dan, Led Zeplin, Bad Company, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult
#9 Edgar Winter Group, Black Sabboth, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Oh I'm starting to show my age..

But I must admit that I like much of the new rock like Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Nickleback, and the list goes on....

Yea, but can you dance to it ? :eek:

geodood 09-16-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Rider
Yea, but can you dance to it ? :eek:

No, I can't dance to any of it!! In fact, I can't dance at all. But I can hold a lighter up in the air for the longest time before getting burned........

MattyMattyChooChoo 10-21-2006 06:39 PM

Deathcab for Cutie
Postal Service
Old 97s
Hybrid
Johnny Cash
John Mayer
James Taylor
Bjork

Locally? Dirtfoot put on a pretty great show at the Revel.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-22-2006 07:11 AM

Favorite music

David Gilmour, Rodger Waters (Floyd) Neil Young, Dire Straits, Johnnie Cash,
Aerosmith, Bon Jovi maybe some Roy Orbison & Elvis ! I guess you can tell
a lot about someone by there music choices. One great disc is "Us and Them"
Symphonic Pink Floyd you should check this one out.

LateNight 10-22-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
Deathcab for Cutie
Postal Service
Old 97s
Hybrid
Johnny Cash
John Mayer
James Taylor
Bjork

Locally? Dirtfoot put on a pretty great show at the Revel.

An Old 97's fan right here in Shreveport :) I just saw them last week in Dallas, and of course they put on one heck of a show !

Latenight

MattyMattyChooChoo 10-30-2006 05:59 PM

I lived in Dallas until a couple of years ago. I love the Old 97s. I first heard them when a band I worked for was opening for them at Treez in Deep Ellum. I hear Murray owns a BnB in Natchitoches.

Santabot 04-24-2007 10:16 PM

Just a small list of my favorite artists:

Aesop Rock, Afroman, Andre Nickatina, The Aquabats, Beastie Boys, Bim Skala Bim, Binary Star, Birdman, Blackalicious, Black Star, Boards of Canada, Bob Marley, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Burning Spear, Busdriver, Busta Rhymes, Canibus, Catch 22, Choking Victim, Chrome, Circle of Tyrants, Coolio, Crack Rock Steady Seven, Cunninlynguists, Cypress Hill, Dance Hall Crashers, D4L, Dick Dale, Dr. Dre, Don Drummond, Fishbone, Frayser Boy, Fugees, Geto Boys, Ghostface Killah, Goretex, Gorillaz, GZA/Genius, Hepcat, Ice Cube, Ill Bill, Immortal Technique, The Kaze, King Tubby, Koopsta Knicca, Kottonmouth Kings, Jedi Mind Tricks, Jurassic 5, Juvenile, Laurel Aitken, Leftover Crack, Le Tigre, Lil' Boosie, Lil' Wyte, LL Cool J, Lords of Acid, Lost Boyz, Mac Dre, Man or Astroman?, Mephiskapheles, Method Man, Mike Jones, Mos Def, Mr. Hyde, Muse, Mustard Plug, Mystikal, Naughty By Nature, Necro, No Doubt, Non Phixion, NWA, Onyx, Ozric Tentacles, Paul Wall, Peter Tosh, Pharoahe Monch, The Phantom Surfers, The Pietasters, The Planet Smashers, Porcupine Tree, Prince Buster, Project Pat, Public Enemy, Purple Ribbon All-Stars, Sabac Red, Scribe, Skankin' Pickle, The Skatalites, Snoop Dogg, The Skanks, Streetlight Manifesto, Sublime, Suburban Legends, The Suicide Machines, The Slackers, The Specials, Talib Kweli, Tech N9ne, T.I., Three 6 Mafia, The Toasters, Toots and the Maytals, Tupac, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Westbound Train, Westside Connection, The White Stripes, Wu-Tang Clan, Young Jeezy, Youngbloodz, etc.

EDIT: Genres being Ska, All varieties of Rap, Progressive Instrumental Rock (the only kind I can stand), Reggae and variants, Jazz, Techno/Electronica, and 8-bit etc.

AnimeSpirit 04-25-2007 12:09 AM

Oh jeez! I could probably come up with quite a list of stuff. My taste in music is pretty eclectic. Here goes!

Tracy Byrd, Allen Jackson, George Strait, Yankee Grey, The Wreckers, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Shania Twain, Little Big Town, Josh Gracin, Martina McBride, Allison Krouse (lovely singer), Sara Evans, and quite a bit more.

Techno:
DJ Sammy, Sarina Paris, Cascada, DJ Miko

Opera:
Diva Dance, Aria de Mezzo Caraterre, Danny Elfman

Japanese:
Megumi Hayashibara, Ayumi Hamasaki, Younha, Yoko Kanno

Italian:
Cristina D'Avena, Sarina Paris

I've got about 217 tracks on my computer.

LateNight 04-25-2007 12:55 AM

Time now for some ROCK AND ROLL Whooooo!

guitarman 05-30-2007 11:24 AM

I love to hear rock and roll but nothing like some R & B and some good Jazz. I am using the search panel on this site for music and not coming up with much is there a better way to find the threads or avatars that are into music?

LateNight 05-30-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman
I love to hear rock and roll but nothing like some R & B and some good Jazz. I am using the search panel on this site for music and not coming up with much is there a better way to find the threads or avatars that are into music?

Hmmm.. well I suppose one way would be to ask.. of course just like everything else, everyone here has an opinion on music, and the tastes are far reaching I'm sure.

it's about to drive poor Stevie Ray insane . ;)

rhertz 05-30-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman

I like talking about music. Just start a new thread and I'm sure you will get some good dialog flowing...

I wonder if it is true that Jazz is the only music genre that was totally born in the US... I once heard that but don't know if it is true or not.