Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Bullet Proof President (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982)

joepole 07-07-2007 09:12 PM

I've noticed that roughly 100% of the people that insist evolution is "only a theory" don't know what the word "theory" means when used in that context.

rhertz 07-08-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
I've noticed that roughly 100% of the people that insist evolution is "only a theory" don't know what the word "theory" means when used in that context.

In a word, a theory is "unproven"... As in the fact that it is unproven that man evolved from single cell life form. All "evolution" proves is "genetic adaptation" on a small scale which is far from the leaps needed to prove that life came from a single "primordial soup". That is the heart of the question right? Where did we come from? Even if I didn't believe in God, I would still believe that something (aliens?) created man rather than think we came about via millenium of genetic adaptation from single cell to joepole. That would take billions of years via evolution. Maybe even Trillions. ;) :D

Texasbelle 07-08-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
of genetic adaptation from single cell to joepole. :D

Adaptation to joepole? I think not. I believe that's called genetic mutation or genetic abnormality!!!!:D

joepole 07-08-2007 03:11 PM

>In a word, a theory is "unproven".

See? Even rhertz doesn't understand what it means.

LateNight 07-08-2007 04:51 PM

theory |
noun a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained : Darwin's theory of evolution.
• a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based : a theory of education | music theory.
• an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action : my theory would be that the place has been seriously mismanaged.
• Mathematics a collection of propositions to illustrate the principles of a subject.

1 I reckon that confirms my theory hypothesis, thesis, conjecture, supposition, speculation, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, surmise, assumption, presupposition; opinion, view, belief, contention.

2 modern economic theory principles, ideas, concepts; philosophy, ideology, system of ideas, science.

Personally.. I fully believe in the theory of Evolution. But as rhertz stated.. I often wonder about that missing link... that first sentient being.. was it God, was it alien intervention, a crashed meteor with some 'other' cosmic dust.

But the idea of evolution, I fully believe.

The idea of organic evolution was proposed by some ancient Greek thinkers but was long rejected in Europe as contrary to the literal interpretation of the Bible. Lamarck proposed a theory that organisms became transformed by their efforts to respond to the demands of their environment, but he was unable to explain a mechanism for this. Lyell demonstrated that geological deposits were the cumulative product of slow processes over vast ages. This helped Darwin toward a theory of gradual evolution over a long period by the natural selection of those varieties of an organism slightly better adapted to the environment and hence more likely to produce descendants. Combined with the later discoveries of the cellular and molecular basis of genetics, Darwin's theory of evolution has, with some modification, become the dominant unifying concept of modern biology.

rhertz 07-08-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>In a word, a theory is "unproven".

See? Even rhertz doesn't understand what it means.

You did not specify if you were looking for connotation or denotation. I purposely did not surf up the "definition" before responding. I think most people relate to 1.

1 I reckon that confirms my theory hypothesis, thesis, conjecture, supposition, speculation, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, surmise, assumption, presupposition; opinion, view, belief, contention.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-09-2007 09:50 AM

Look around at our youth and would you rather have Christian values or NO values or morals ? Now that is a hard question :rolleyes:

LateNight 07-09-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Look around at our youth and would you rather have Christian values or NO values or morals ? Now that is a hard question :rolleyes:

Don't believe that was hardly the question.. and even if it was, I would argue, that it doesn't have to be an either OR question.. meaning that a child can be taught right from wrong.. without it being "Christian Values".

I will also add, my children have gone to private catholic schools for most of their education to this point :)

Pocahontas 07-09-2007 10:02 AM

Why are your kids in Catholic schools LN if you aren't particularly fond of Christian values being taught? I thought that was the main reason kids went to Catholic schools!:confused:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-09-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
Don't believe that was hardly the question.. and even if it was, I would argue, that it doesn't have to be an either OR question.. meaning that a child can be taught right from wrong.. without it being "Christian Values".

I will also add, my children have gone to private catholic schools for most of their education to this point :)

You go LN :clap: Nothing like Catholic Schools :D You can teach them right from wrong with out Christian Values but I would say if you would like to see those values stick for a life time you would be much better off with them understanding the Bible. MY OPINION ;) your kids and your choice.

Texasbelle 07-09-2007 10:17 AM

I prefer children with Christian values and principals. They always seem to have a better attitude, more polite and understanding, and just overall better people. For my children, their belief in the Bible and God's word applied to their life gives them a reason to base their choices on right vs. wrong. It's not just a decision but rather a whole reason backed up by the word of God.

LateNight 07-09-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Why are your kids in Catholic schools LN if you aren't particularly fond of Christian values being taught? I thought that was the main reason kids went to Catholic schools!:confused:

Never did I say I was against my kids being taught Christian Values.. my comments was on when "some people" start spouting "Christian Values".

I'm all for good christian values.. I'm all for kids being told right from wrong.. one is not exclusive from the other.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-09-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
Never did I say I was against my kids being taught Christian Values.. my comments was on when "some people" start spouting "Christian Values".

I'm all for good christian values.. I'm all for kids being told right from wrong.. one is not exclusive from the other.

LN you are on the fence :laugh: talk to rhertz while you are there he is a pro ;)

LateNight 07-09-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
LN you are on the fence :laugh: talk to rhertz while you are there he is a pro ;)

Everything in moderation, that's my motto :)