Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Historic Photos (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Comments on: cd shelters{civil defense] (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2916)

sbl_admin 10-29-2007 07:35 PM

Comments on: cd shelters{civil defense]

Reader comments and feedback for the cd shelters{civil defense] photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/pho...6fdd497e_l.jpg

The only thing we have to fear is...nukuler fallout itself.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-29-2007 07:39 PM

The days of the big scare. I still remember the rations in the green barrels and the old familiar yellow sign that marked where to go when the atomic bomb hit. I wonder how many folks could fit in that rat hole and just how long they could stay ? I guess it may have served to make people sleep at night :rolleyes: If we ever get hit I think I would like to be in the front yard watching and get hit in the face and not hunkered down with my arse in the air :eek:

Pocahontas 10-29-2007 09:06 PM

My childhood home had a basement, did y'alls? It was always kinda creepy (dank and bare) and I didn't like going down there. Our next door neighbors', however, made there's into an office and had a playroom too so it wasn't scary. :)

purpahurl 10-29-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 23677)
The days of the big scare. I still remember the rations in the green barrels and the old familiar yellow sign that marked where to go when the atomic bomb hit. I wonder how many folks could fit in that rat hole and just how long they could stay ? I guess it may have served to make people sleep at night :rolleyes: If we ever get hit I think I would like to be in the front yard watching and get hit in the face and not hunkered down with my arse in the air :eek:

Damn straight. We'll get hit for sure with Barksdale, but I bet we'll never know it.

Did y'all ever see that Twilight zone where the man had a huge bomb shelter under his house and what he thought was a nuclear war happened. He survived in his shelter, later they showed a family standing in a park looking at a giant concrete domb and a little girl asked "is daddy in there"? The mother said yes. Turns out a bomb fell off of a plane at the local Airforce Base and blew up. In the cleanup they scraped the whole town up and covered it in concrete and lead right on top of this mans shelter.

LateNight 10-29-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 23684)
My childhood home had a basement, did y'alls? It was always kinda creepy (dank and bare) and I didn't like going down there. Our next door neighbors', however, made there's into an office and had a playroom too so it wasn't scary. :)

Lived in a few homes in New Jersey, before I moved down yonder.. every house there had a basement. We always fixed them up some, pool table or a ping pong table.. Drum Set etc.. that kind of stuff always took up space in the basement.

j.nc 10-29-2007 11:15 PM

Before moving to S'port, lived in Omaha (another USAF base as a prime target). Well, as my Dad relayed the story - a neighbor down the street (boy was a friend of mine, Bruce) somehow got the US Gov to supply him a huge gas powered backup generator and enhanced shortwave (HAM) radio set in his basement and big antennae. Some sort of civil defense program at the time it seems. I didn’t know it at the time but my friend’s dad was also the son (or grandson) of the founder of Omaha Steaks and now part of the company.

... looking for my photos of the air raid siren on the Broadmoor JHS campus... they used to test them something like noon on Saturday's right? Wonder when that stopped. It was such a reminder of the era. Also recall drills at South Highlands Elem. where we'd go into the hallways, sit, and cover our faces... something like that.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 23701)
Before moving to S'port, lived in Omaha (another USAF base as a prime target). Well, as my Dad relayed the story - a neighbor down the street (boy was a friend of mine, Bruce) somehow got the US Gov to supply him a huge gas powered backup generator and enhanced shortwave (HAM) radio set in his basement and big antennae. Some sort of civil defense program at the time it seems. I didn’t know it at the time but my friend’s dad was also the son (or grandson) of the founder of Omaha Steaks and now part of the company.

... looking for my photos of the air raid siren on the Broadmoor JHS campus... they used to test them something like noon on Saturday's right? Wonder when that stopped. It was such a reminder of the era. Also recall drills at South Highlands Elem. where we'd go into the hallways, sit, and cover our faces... something like that.

That horn was on Akard just east of the Broddmorr JHS campus. It would blow at noon on Saturday. It would be great if you had a photo of that snap shot of time.

joepole 10-30-2007 09:26 AM

Homes in the South generally don't have basements because we don't have to dig below any frost lines for our houses' foundations.

purpahurl 10-30-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 23701)

That's funny, I almost posted about that airhorn last night. It would go off evry Saturday and to me that meant the cartoons were over for the morning.