Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Culture & Community (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Did you eat black eyed peas and cabbage today? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3344)

rhertz 01-01-2008 07:36 PM

Did you eat black eyed peas and cabbage today?

Did you eat black eyed peas and cabbage today? The peas are for "good luck" and the cabbage is for "money".... I'm eating both! ;)

Pocahontas 01-01-2008 08:09 PM

Nope we did not. I did make a delicous crock pot full of potato soup instead though!:lick:I do love traditions but this particular one we don't observe. No one here likes cabbage and we just forgot about getting black eyed peas.

rhertz 01-01-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 27109)
Nope we did not. I did make a delicous crock pot full of potato soup instead though!:lick:I do love traditions but this particular one we don't observe. No one here likes cabbage and we just forgot about getting black eyed peas.

Well I'll eat some for ya! ;) Fortunately I found some pepper sauce in the back of the fridge. It wasn't homemade, it was trappy's but better than nothing on peas and cabbage.

Isabella 01-01-2008 09:18 PM

We had turnip greens w/turnips with our cabbage and blackeyepeas. Hopefully, we will be blessed with lots of money. ;)

j.nc 01-01-2008 10:47 PM

We did. With some cornbread.

piemaker720 01-02-2008 08:18 AM

We had our black-eyed peas but we had turnip greens instead of cabbage. We always heard anything green is for money. We also had baked chicken, rice & gravy mac&cheese, and cornbread.:D

rhertz 01-02-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720 (Post 27120)
We had our black-eyed peas but we had turnip greens instead of cabbage. We always heard anything green is for money. We also had baked chicken, rice & gravy mac&cheese, and cornbread.:D

I had baked chicken as well. But I forgot the cornbread. How could I forget the cornbread!! It hit me as I sat down....

The chicken was tough anyway... But my cabbage and peas kicked buttocks... Here is my approximate recipe... (we don't measure well down in the south)

Rhertz's New Years Cabbage

1 Cabbage
1 ham hock or ham shank or whatever pig parts you got. (bacon? Hambone?)
1 can chicken broth
2 cups water
1 chicken boullion cube
ground pepper
some garlic powder

Put it all in a pot, cover it, and simmer for a really long time.........take a nap if you need it....

After serving, put a few drops (or more) of "peppa sauce"(tm).... LOL it was good.. My recipe for black eyed peas is about the same except for peas instead of cabbage. Lucky me that two ham hocks come in a tub.... :D

j.nc 01-02-2008 10:24 PM

Right-o, them ham hock is crucial to anything from the cabbage and BEPs you mention rheartz, to greens and red beans n' rice.