Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New GPS Device Tracks Sex Offenders (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394)

sbl_admin 05-09-2007 12:44 PM

New GPS Device Tracks Sex Offenders

A new GPS device is being used to locate and track sex offenders in our area

AnimeSpirit 05-09-2007 02:43 PM

Wow, I have to say that we spend an awful lot of tax dollars on nifty gadgets to keep track of these guys.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-09-2007 03:10 PM

They may know where they are but they do not know what they are doing so I guess this might help but a would be sex offender needs to be in jail. :rolleyes:

AnimeSpirit 05-09-2007 03:22 PM

You know, I once saw an episode of Ghost in the Shell where the government developed a micro-surveillance technology that could be implanted into a subject's head without them ever knowing it. It would then feed audio and video data back to a computer, recording everything the subject sees and hears. They called them "interceptors."

I remember one character making a comment that the instruments are so sensative they could measure the trajectory when the subject takes a whiz.

Let's just develop something like that and use them on sex offenders and anyone on parole and such.

Pocahontas 05-09-2007 03:58 PM

I'm for anything that helps keep track of those nuts!! No pun intended...:laugh:

Sheba 05-09-2007 08:10 PM

I, too, am for tracking these guys. I need more info - like who's watching and what places are off limits. Is this preventative or do the offenders have to commit a new crime to be arrested? I guess I want to know what good the green dots on the GPS maps in stopping some sort of new crime?

We've had cars sitting in our neighborhood watching our kids play. When concerned neighbors called in with car tag numbers, the response was that people sitting in cars are not doing anything illegal.

My point is that technology is excellent. But what will be done with the info?

BrainSmashR 05-09-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
They may know where they are but they do not know what they are doing so I guess this might help but a would be sex offender needs to be in jail. :rolleyes:

The propose here isn't "prevention", but rather a method of keeping track of an offender that moves from Louisiana to say, New York, but doesn't register as a sex offender at his new location. Sadly enough, these individuals are responsible for a large portion of the sec crimes committed in this country.

rhertz 05-09-2007 10:38 PM

I think this is great. If a sex offender is tracked going to a grade school, Just for Fun, or a playground, somebody should know about it.

Or if the offender is tracked going somewhere legal like Larry Flint's Hustler's Club, the Wild Orchid, or the Centerfold, then we know he has been successfully rehabilitated. ;)

Sheba 05-10-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I think this is great. If a sex offender is tracked going to a grade school, Just for Fun, or a playground, somebody should know about it.

Or if the offender is tracked going somewhere legal like Larry Flint's Hustler's Club, the Wild Orchid, or the Centerfold, then we know he has been successfully rehabilitated. ;)

And our tax dollars have been spent so wisely! How would you like the job of keeping up with all those green dots. Are they numbered? Do the ones moving in from New York have a big NY inside the circle? Do you sound an alarm if one gets too close to a playgrounnd?

Still curious about the logistics and details..... :think:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-10-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
And our tax dollars have been spent so wisely! How would you like the job of keeping up with all those green dots. Are they numbered? Do the ones moving in from New York have a big NY inside the circle? Do you sound an alarm if one gets too close to a playground?

Still curious about the logistics and details..... :think:

Oh the wise one has spoken ;) sit down in that chair right there and let Sheba show ya how it is done :clap: