Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Historic Photos (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Comments on: tornado of '78 (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593)

sbl_admin 09-10-2007 10:32 AM

Comments on: tornado of '78

Reader comments and feedback for the tornado of '78 photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/pho...e1a1e0d6_l.jpg

dillabrew 09-10-2007 10:33 AM

I remember this area when the tornado hit. Just drove back home from Georgia and couldn't believe the intersection of Airline and Texas. :eek:

vixweb 09-10-2007 05:45 PM

I was directly in the path of that monster! It was an F5, and a night I'll NEVER forget! The scene at Bossier General Hospital was incredible-
Since we're on this topic; I wonder if anyone on this board has the "picture book" of this Tornado? We had one when I was young, but no-one in the family knows what happened to it:confused: It was a small white book with 30 or so pages filled with pics of the storm. If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, please let me know! I want the info(publisher,etc.) to see if I could get one-THANKS!(I already tried the library:()

salguodgrubmab 09-10-2007 06:03 PM

Those nights around here in winter when the air is heavy and still. When it is way too warm and balmy. Something is so not right. I was hanging on Emery St., which is basically I-20 and Hearne, that Sat. night. It was probably about 2:00a.m. Sunday morn when the oddity that was the weather brought me out to eyeball it. The strange color and the even stranger "feel". I dragged everyone out for a look but they weren't as caught up in it as I and went back inside. I stayed out there looking at the sky for about an hour or so knowing that something was amiss. It was at this time Bossier was plowed over and I didn't even know it. News trickled in Sunday and by Monday everyone knew the extent of the damage. It had turned cold and I got off work about 1:00 and drove over to check it out. I still can't describe it to this day.

LateNight 09-10-2007 07:27 PM

I had just moved from New Jersey to south Bossier City about a year before this happened. I remember the weird looking weather. My brother who had been out driving around at some point, described the sky as being GREEN.

:peace:

salguodgrubmab 09-10-2007 08:16 PM

that little book is out of print but there is a copy of it at the main library. you could copy it for bout 3 bucks.

rhertz 09-11-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab (Post 21039)
that little book is out of print but there is a copy of it at the main library. you could copy it for bout 3 bucks.

Sal, do you know if the library will let you bring in a laptop and scanner and scan stuff? (to post here) Or is that against the rules?

salguodgrubmab 09-11-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 21072)
Sal, do you know if the library will let you bring in a laptop and scanner and scan stuff? (to post here) Or is that against the rules?

Doubt it. You can call an ask though.

vixweb 09-11-2007 06:14 PM

Is that the Shreveport main library or Bossier? ThankYou:D There is an aerial photo of MY house-what was left of it. We had 8 cars in our house and yard! Moments before "impact", I looked out the window and the sky WAS green! At the age of 7, I quickly imagined The Wizard of Oz:eek: Our neighbors were so convinced that we did'nt survive, they were scared to approach the wreckage. Of course One man finally did, and we were all pretty much ok. The 2 girls that died lived about 1/2 mile away and were my age- Very sad. Thanks again for the help with the book:)

salguodgrubmab 09-11-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 21111)
Is that the Shreveport main library or Bossier? ThankYou:D There is an aerial photo of MY house-what was left of it. We had 8 cars in our house and yard! Moments before "impact", I looked out the window and the sky WAS green! At the age of 7, I quickly imagined The Wizard of Oz:eek: Our neighbors were so convinced that we did'nt survive, they were scared to approach the wreckage. Of course One man finally did, and we were all pretty much ok. The 2 girls that died lived about 1/2 mile away and were my age- Very sad. Thanks again for the help with the book:)

Shreve. I would imagine Bossier also. I've only been in there once so I'm not certain.