Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Scientists Make Fruit Flies Gay, Then Straight Again (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3221)

rhertz 12-10-2007 11:08 AM

Scientists Make Fruit Flies Gay, Then Straight Again

Scientists Make Fruit Flies Gay, Then Straight Again

Quote:

A new study finds that both drugs and genetic manipulation can turn the homosexual behavior of fruit flies on and off within a matter of hours
Yeah I know a few people who are like that once they consume enough drugs and alchohol... :D :duck:

AnimeSpirit 12-11-2007 10:13 AM

:freaky:.................:freaky:...........

That is very strange. I'd be willing to ask HOW this experiement contributes to science just to see what weird responses I get.

Morpheus 12-11-2007 10:42 AM

It advances the theory that all of your traits are genetically based, including homosexuality, which some still view as a matter of personal choice. This study would seem to indicate that it's nature, not nurture.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-11-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26391)
It advances the theory that all of your traits are genetically based, including homosexuality, which some still view as a matter of personal choice. This study would seem to indicate that it's nature, not nurture.

Which one do you think it is Morpheus ?? Nature or nurture ?? Maybe doctors are using fruit flies because they are fruity :laugh:

Morpheus 12-11-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 26398)
Which one do you think it is Morpheus ?? Nature or nurture ?? Maybe doctors are using fruit flies because they are fruity :laugh:

Actually I think they use fruit flies because their genome has been mapped already and has lots of documentation.

Personally, I think there may be a genetic predisposition, in the form of a mutation, but I still feel it's a personal choice-like alcoholism.

rhertz 12-11-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26406)
Personally, I think there may be a genetic predisposition, in the form of a mutation, but I still feel it's a personal choice-like alcoholism.

Alcoholism may be a choice, but there are also genetic predispositions to having "addictive behavior" and "depression" which can lead to alchoholism. So it gets complicated...... :D

AnimeSpirit 12-11-2007 12:49 PM

So it's more like a personal choice that leads to physiological changes in the body (perhaps brought about by natural adaptation) that further develop the condition in question.

I guess, as far as alcoholism is concerned, that makes sense. Not sure about homosexuality though.

Personally, I'm not a supporter of it, but also not an activist against it. So long as it goes on without my knowing it, I'm ok with it.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-11-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 26412)
So it's more like a personal choice that leads to physiological changes in the body (perhaps brought about by natural adaptation) that further develop the condition in question.

I guess, as far as alcoholism is concerned, that makes sense. Not sure about homosexuality though.

Personally, I'm not a supporter of it, but also not an activist against it. So long as it goes on without my knowing it, I'm ok with it.

How can you not know it ? What do you do when you do know it ??

AnimeSpirit 12-11-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 26414)
How can you not know it ? What do you do when you do know it ??

The military, in political neutrality, has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place with regard to homosexuality. That's basically the way I feel as well. If you are a homosexual, fine. Don't bring it to my attention and we'll get along. When you do, you'll be asked to keep it to yourself.

Morpheus 12-11-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 26410)
Alcoholism may be a choice, but there are also genetic predispositions to having "addictive behavior" and "depression" which can lead to alchoholism. So it gets complicated...... :D

uh, that's exactly what I said in the quote that you quoted!

Morpheus 12-11-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 26412)

Actually it's more like the other way around-like genes causing physiological changes in the body, in this case brain chemistry, that predispose one to certain personal choices, like alcoholism, drugs, or ...pole smoking.

Morpheus 12-11-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit (Post 26416)
The military, in political neutrality, has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place with regard to homosexuality. That's basically the way I feel as well. If you are a homosexual, fine. Don't bring it to my attention and we'll get along. When you do, you'll be asked to keep it to yourself.

Surprisingly, I'm with you on this one Anime.