Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Do American Gun Laws Need To Be Changed? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161)

sbl_admin 04-17-2007 08:39 AM

Do American Gun Laws Need To Be Changed?

"Why, we ask, do Americans continue to tolerate gun laws and a culture that seems to condemn thousands of innocents to death every year, when presumably, tougher restrictions, such as those in force in European countries, could at least reduce the number?"

Texasbelle 04-17-2007 08:42 AM

Yes, they need to be changed. If just one person yesterday in that college building had their weapon with them (those allowed to carry a concealed weapon), then maybe a few lives could have been saved. You will never stop the criminals from having weapons. They break the laws, they don't abide by them. To further take them out of the hands of law abiding citizens would be detrimental to our society.

joepole 04-17-2007 09:39 AM

Answer:

Because "saving lives" isn't the ultimate goal of our government, "preserving freedom" is.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-17-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Answer:

Because "saving lives" isn't the ultimate goal of our government, "preserving freedom" is.

I agree with you Joe.
Isaac

Texasbelle 04-17-2007 10:04 AM

Actually both need to be accomplished. Freedom first but saving lives would have been good yesterday!

Bubba McMillian 04-17-2007 10:05 AM

"Gun Laws Do Not Need To Change"

Let's put blame where it belongs, blame the shooter and not the gun.

Fatal car accident - do you blame the car?
Fatal stabbing - do you blame the knife

Let's put the responsibility where it belongs - the gun is not at fault but a highly defective person is at fault.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Texasbelle 04-17-2007 10:10 AM

Please don't think I am blaming the gun. I don't. It's all the shooter, but were the gun control laws different (and that is what this thread is about) the outcome yesterday could have been a little different. Somebody could have taken the a**hole out sooner before 32 people went down.

Neo 04-17-2007 11:05 AM

If alcohol, tobacco, and cholesterol/fat foods had even tighter restrictions or outlawed, the result would save more lives each year than murders by firearms by far. Mandantory HIV testing would have a great impact as well. I think it is sad our government usually reacts to a situation than looking toward the future and preventing a situation.

Neo 04-17-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Yes, they need to be changed. If just one person yesterday in that college building had their weapon with them (those allowed to carry a concealed weapon), then maybe a few lives could have been saved. You will never stop the criminals from having weapons. They break the laws, they don't abide by them. To further take them out of the hands of law abiding citizens would be detrimental to our society.

Maybe we should control student visas in this country, or teach them the laws of this country better before they come over. ENFORCE the laws, that is the key!!!

BrainSmashR 04-17-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Please don't think I am blaming the gun. I don't. It's all the shooter, but were the gun control laws different (and that is what this thread is about) the outcome yesterday could have been a little different. Somebody could have taken the a**hole out sooner before 32 people went down.

So then what you are saying is that we should repeal the school zone laws making possession of drugs firearms within 50' of school property a felony charge with mandatory time?

After all, that's the only way an honest person "could have taken that a**hole out sooner".

BrainSmashR 04-17-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
If alcohol, tobacco, and cholesterol/fat foods had even tighter restrictions or outlawed, the result would save more lives each year than murders by firearms by far. Mandantory HIV testing would have a great impact as well. I think it is sad our government usually reacts to a situation than looking toward the future and preventing a situation.

I REALLY hope this was an attempt at humor, otherwise it's downright scary.