Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Religion & Spirit (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How old is this planet ? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341)

Isaac-Saxxon 10-04-2006 04:33 PM

How old is this planet ?

There have been alot of new things found in resent days to point to the
fact the dinosaurs where here in force and suddenly they where no more.
It would appear that mabe a comet hit some where in the Gulf of Mexico
and tilted the plantet off its axis and brought a end to the dinosaurs. Then
a void of time and the planet saw the rise of flesh man. Now my question
to anybody with a eye for history is this. Was the planet created void
and without form or did it "become" void and with out form. I found this
in the Strongs Concordance and any input would be great. This may leave
a major time lapse from the first verse and the second verse of the Bible.
I love to hear any ideas from those that might wonder the same question.
Science would tell us that this planet is millions of years old !
Isaac-Saxxon

kansast 10-04-2006 04:43 PM

Do you not believe that the planet is millions of years old ?

Lucy is Ethiopia's world-acclaimed archaeological find, dug up in 1974 in an almost complete hominid skeleton estimated at least 3.2 million years old.

or are we dicussing something else here ?

rhertz 10-04-2006 08:19 PM

Not this "deep" stuff again.. :rolleyes: Well while on the subject, this christian organization (Answers in Genesis) professes that the earth is only about 6000 years old total!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp

This includes the dinosaur period, the whole she-bang. But I'm thinking, what about carbon dating? ;) Oh they have an answer for that.

I was getting a new windshield at that glass place on Bert Kouns and someone had these AiG brochures spread around and I was bored so I read one. I had no idea that there were people who think the entire earth history is only 6000 years old. I'm a christian but I believe the earth is much older than that. Why does "creationism" and "evolution" have to be mutually exclusive? "Maybe they both exist at the same time". (quote from Forrest Gump) LOL

Isaac-Saxxon 10-05-2006 07:05 AM

The Earth is millions of years old

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansast
Do you not believe that the planet is millions of years old ?

Lucy is Ethiopia's world-acclaimed archaeological find, dug up in 1974 in an almost complete hominid skeleton estimated at least 3.2 million years old.

or are we dicussing something else here ?

No we are not talking about something else. Carbon dating will prove that
the planet is millions of years old. My point is one word in Gen. can change
the entire outlook at the Bible. The earth was made void and without form
or it "became" void and with out form. I think the Bible agrees with the
carbon dating but this will open a new can of worms for the red pill people.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-05-2006 07:13 AM

New windshield ? Can you see clearer now ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Not this "deep" stuff again.. :rolleyes: Well while on the subject, this christian organization (Answers in Genesis) professes that the earth is only about 6000 years old total!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp

This includes the dinosaur period, the whole she-bang. But I'm thinking, what about carbon dating? ;) Oh they have an answer for that.

I was getting a new windshield at that glass place on Bert Kouns and someone had these AiG brochures spread around and I was bored so I read one. I had no idea that there were people who think the entire earth history is only 6000 years old. I'm a christian but I believe the earth is much older than that. Why does "creationism" and "evolution" have to be mutually exclusive? "Maybe they both exist at the same time". (quote from Forrest Gump) LOL

I have to wonder who had time to go out and plant all those "fake" bones
in the earth :-) Just kidding ! To lump the history of this planet into
6000 years of history is to be living in a box. Yea I know here we go again
I guess I should stick to talking about gardening or maybe basket weaving ?
Ah it was in the garden and it was not a apple but yes it was a fruit. I still
can not buy into the idea we came from apes or any other evolutional
process it would have to still be going on !

Always looking,
Isaac-Saxxon

joepole 10-05-2006 09:15 AM

Carbon Dating

Carbon dating is never used by any respectable scientist (or any scientists that I've ever heard) to date things to millions of years. C14 dating can place a formerly organic artifact at a max of about 40-60,000 years, (7-10 half-lives).

A million years would be 175 half-lives, meaning you would be working with 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0479 % of the original material, meaning about one atom left for every 20,000 tons of original material.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-05-2006 09:44 AM

Well done joepole !

This is just what I was looking for ! Some input from a analytical point of view. This is something that I would not pick up studying history books.
This will change the way I look at science. Thank you !
Isaac-Saxxon

LateNight 10-05-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Carbon dating is never used by any respectable scientist (or any scientists that I've ever heard) to date things to millions of years. C14 dating can place a formerly organic artifact at a max of about 40-60,000 years, (7-10 half-lives).

A million years would be 175 half-lives, meaning you would be working with 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0479 % of the original material, meaning about one atom left for every 20,000 tons of original material.

so is there a better more accurate way of dating something millions of years old ?

joepole 10-05-2006 01:33 PM

Dating for millions of years

Uranium-based techniques (Uranium-Thorium or Uranium-Lead) are good for old atrifacts, but aren't always doable.

Google "geochronology" for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geochronology

rhertz 10-05-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I have to wonder who had time to go out and plant all those "fake" bones in the earth :-) Just kidding ! To lump the history of this planet into 6000 years of history is to be living in a box. Yea I know here we go againI guess I should stick to talking about gardening or maybe basket weaving ?Ah it was in the garden and it was not a apple but yes it was a fruit. I still can not buy into the idea we came from apes or any other evolutional process it would have to still be going on !

Good post Isaac. I concur. No fake bones, and 6000 years almost insults my intelligence. We didn't come from apes, LOL. I wouldn't knock basket weaving though. :) I think talking about "deep subjects" is ok, as long as we keep a sense of humor and an open mind as you have today. I do believe in evolution, but I think it is more like "micro evolution" on top of "creation". I just don't see where the fossil record supports a continuous evolution from amoeba to homo sapien. Yet the concept of evolution cannot be ignored either. So maybe they are both happening at the same time.

geodood 10-05-2006 08:34 PM

I don't see where the bible offers any date for the creation of man. It appears that certain biblical statements from such chapters as Genesis 5 that we might be talking 4,000 to 15,000 B.C. rather than 1,000,000 B.C. or more. But there is no plain statement in the scriptures on this point. One could debate rather the time spans in question here are "this age of man" or "total history of man-like creatures". This depends on whether one assumes that man has reached his peak of civilization today in 2006 or not, among other things.

Rough Rider 10-05-2006 09:05 PM

the hokey pokey.. what if that really IS what it's all about ??

so here we are, all pondering life's great mysteries.. if you ask me, our existence on this rock is merely a blink of an eye.. whether it be our individual existence, or 'mankind' in general.. amazing we've come so far. And all the things "WE'RE" going to miss.. like teleportation..

Quantum information teleported from light to matter

Quote:

LONDON (Reuters) - Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-06-2006 07:13 AM

Man 10-14 thousand years old

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Good post Isaac. I concur. No fake bones, and 6000 years almost insults my intelligence. We didn't come from apes, LOL. I wouldn't knock basket weaving though. :) I think talking about "deep subjects" is ok, as long as we keep a sense of humor and an open mind as you have today. I do believe in evolution, but I think it is more like "micro evolution" on top of "creation". I just don't see where the fossil record supports a continuous evolution from amoeba to homo sapien. Yet the concept of evolution cannot be ignored either. So maybe they are both happening at the same time.

Now with all this said how can they set a date on Lucy ? I agree that there
are small changes in the evolution any group of genes. Seletive breeding
of animals would show us that but still a limited group. I have to wonder
where the "6000 year" group thinks oil came from and if it was only 6000
years old then it should renew itself ??? Oh and did you know that
Gary Larson found the second Lucy ?

Isaac-Saxxon 10-06-2006 07:24 AM

The growth curve

Quote:

Originally Posted by geodood
I don't see where the bible offers any date for the creation of man. It appears that certain biblical statements from such chapters as Genesis 5 that we might be talking 4,000 to 15,000 B.C. rather than 1,000,000 B.C. or more. But there is no plain statement in the scriptures on this point. One could debate rather the time spans in question here are "this age of man" or "total history of man-like creatures". This depends on whether one assumes that man has reached his peak of civilization today in 2006 or not, among other things.

After doing some studies on animal population the bell curve would seem
to come in to play. That is to say that after a peak population that 90%
of the population would die off and 10% would be left to start the cycle
again. Now for those of us that belive in God and that He will stop the
cycle before it gets to the event horizon all is good. Now if we take the
other side then sickness and war should slow down this event but not
stop it. The world population is not in decline and most of the cards are
on the table. Will energy and food be able to keep up with the amount
of people on the planet maybe some one has some input on this question.
Thanks for your input GEO or is that NEO ?