Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fake or real tree? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3259)

Pocahontas 12-16-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 26628)
Real tree, definately. No contest.

Well thank goodness Vix....we are definitely the minority here!:clapbig:

purpahurl 12-17-2007 11:52 AM

Real, Real, Real,!!!! I love the smell. It reminds me of the Mountains. When I'm done with it in the house I move it outside around my birdfeeders and the birds love it.

piemaker720 12-17-2007 01:32 PM

Fake, no mess, reusable:laugh:

vixweb 12-17-2007 05:43 PM

I love the feeling of walking out of the woods with a nice tree- "the fresh kill":D

Morpheus 12-17-2007 05:47 PM

BTW I have a gas log fireplace also :p

Coralman 12-17-2007 06:31 PM

Fake tree and real wood. You know wood is good :D

Pocahontas 12-17-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26665)
BTW I have a gas log fireplace also :p

Let me guess due to the mess of a real one and allergies to smoke and the expense of buying wood every year??? Nothing like the real deal!;):p

Morpheus 12-17-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26672)
Let me guess due to the mess of a real one and allergies to smoke and the expense of buying wood every year??? Nothing like the real deal!;):p

Well and the convenience of: flip a switch and *poof*-fire. flip the switch off and *poof*-no fire. No wood to carry in, no bugs, no snakes, no mess on the floor, no going out when it's cold or rainy. No worrying about the fire when we leave.

Cons-I do miss the smell of a real wood fire, and the sound.

purpahurl 12-17-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26674)
Well and the convenience of: flip a switch and *poof*-fire. flip the switch off and *poof*-no fire. No wood to carry in, no bugs, no snakes, no mess on the floor, no going out when it's cold or rainy. No worrying about the fire when we leave.

Cons-I do miss the smell of a real wood fire, and the sound.

I need to comment on this.

I love a real fire. Last year we had a good one going and I thought I would recycle some cardboard and "kick it off". I've heard about chimney fires and knew what to look for. I was feeding the fire to really get some heat in the house and something didn't sound right. I went outside to look at the chimney and flames were shooting out about 2-3 ft. I shot the hose up at the chimney and it got worse.

Long story short I took the hose up on the roof and shot it down the chimney. It steamed like a fool. I ran in the house and my wife was sitting in front of the fire steady throwing paper and card board into it.

I asked "didn't you see the water and the fire flare up" and she said she was afraid it would go out!

It sounded like a train running through the house.

I will never burn paper in the house again.

j.nc 12-17-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 26679)

I asked "didn't you see the water and the fire flare up" and she said she was afraid it would go out!

That gave me quite a chuckle purpahurl . Thanks. Is my wife related to yours??

My Mom was a firm believer in Incendiary Christmas Tree Mk.V –just rubbing your chilled hands next to a real tree would ignite it… but we had a real one anyway until…

Discussed elsewhere in the forum – can’t recall where - but rhertz recalls the house (Dr. Tucker) across the street from where I grew up on Gilbert Dr that burned to the ground Christmas eve because of a tree. We were sitting at our picture window and noticed a glow over the house across the street and sure enough… well – everyone made it out but. Rhertz had an additional memory…, anyway this only confirmed my Mom’s suspicions.

Reminds me about folks that have live candles on their tree. We had a manager xfer to Charlotte from Redmond, WA and they were tree hugger types (no vaccines for their kids, etc)– but they’d burn candles attached to this dry ass tree in their house. Needles everywhere. It was so dry. They had a party there and I wanted to stay close in case I needed to shake up my beer and spritz it at the tree before making my way thru the nearest window to escape.

We have a fake tree, but use fresh greenery liberally thru-out the house. Mrs j.nc gets free greenery from the tree places cuttings (nice soft fir -lots of tree farms in the mountains west of here) and decorates all the neighbors mail boxes, swags the stairs, etc.

LateNight 12-17-2007 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool: I've said it before, I'll say it again, doesn't take but two seconds to turn a live christmas tree into this .....

Attachment 2011

Princess Leia 12-18-2007 08:14 AM

I love real fires. I cheat and have a gas starter. That is nice, no paper needed. I do like the idea of a switch though.

joepole 12-18-2007 08:46 AM

I not only have a gas log, I have a remote controlled gas log so I don't even have to get our of my chair to start a fire.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-18-2007 08:59 AM

Pack mule wood each year but it is fun to keep the fire stoked and the smell and sound are good. Joe do you have a smoking jacket and a pipe to go with that remote control fire :laugh:

Texasbelle 12-18-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 26690)
I not only have a gas log, I have a remote controlled gas log so I don't even have to get our of my chair to start a fire.

Anybody surprised by this??????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We have four, count 'em four fireplaces. They all burn wood but one does have gas logs in it at the moment. Mr. Belle usually starts a fire every evening and then promptly fall asleep in front of it!!! Thank goodness he does too. It's the only way to get the remote out of his hand.