Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Who Do You Think Will Be Our Next President? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010)

Isabella 03-23-2007 08:52 AM

Who Do You Think Will Be Our Next President?

We need a new topic. State your opinion.

I believe our next president will be a republican who is a white male. Not quite sure of the name yet.

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 09:18 AM

Not sure either who it will be but I do know who I don't want it be........

HILARY

Isabella 03-23-2007 09:57 AM

NOR DO I!!!

We do not need a democrat who will raise our taxes. Our economy will surely spiral downwards. John Edwards says he wants to raise taxes for healthcare. His wife has cancer and he is staying in the race, which I think is very selfish. He is nice to look at, but I will not vote for him because of his views.

scarlett 03-23-2007 10:03 AM

honestly no matter who gets voted as President they are never for the middle class period. Middle class suffers more than any other class. The rich have it so easy with the little extras they get and well of course the poor get all the freebies that the middle class pays for.

They can all say they will do this and they will do that and they don't believe in this and they do believe in that....... I can say what i want too doesn't mean it's true!

Too many people listen to the non-important things these people say and they get voted in on the lies they tell.

So honestly no matter who is our next president they won't be worth a hoot anyway.

joepole 03-23-2007 10:11 AM

>We do not need a democrat who will raise our taxes.

Presidents don't raise taxes, Congresses do.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-23-2007 10:33 AM

You got part of it right

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole

It is Democrat run Congresses that do the tax hikes !

joepole 03-23-2007 10:43 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say our next President is going to be a middle-aged white male that approximately half the country likes and half the country dislikes.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-23-2007 11:00 AM

Here I go again ! I agree with Joe on this one

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say our next President is going to be a middle-aged white male that approximately half the country likes and half the country dislikes.

I can not see a female president :nono: Now ladies you know the mood swings that can come into play here and mood swings are not good when someone is holding the nuclear football. This country is split in half so there is a no win situation for half of the country.
Isaac

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I can not see a female president :nono: Now ladies you know the mood swings that can come into play here and mood swings are not good when someone is holding the nuclear football. This country is split in half so there is a no win situation for half of the country.
Isaac

Isaac, there are quite a few females on this board now and you never know which one of us is in the middle of a mood swing so CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY BIG BOY!:nono:

Honestly though I would like to hear from Scarlett what you consider rich? What income level? Why should someone pay a higher percentage level of taxes because they perhaps went to college for 12 years to get several degrees and make more money? Why is that fair? Why is it fair to me that someone can sit at home, barely make say $12,000 and get an earned income credit? I consider that unfair.

AnimeSpirit 03-23-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Isaac, there are quite a few females on this board now and you never know which one of us is in the middle of a mood swing so CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY BIG BOY!:nono:

Honestly though I would like to hear from Scarlett what you consider rich? What income level? Why should someone pay a higher percentage level of taxes because they perhaps went to college for 12 years to get several degrees and make more money? Why is that fair? Why is it fair to me that someone can sit at home, barely make say $12,000 and get an earned income credit? I consider that unfair.

That reminds me of the "bass-ackwards" way the government handled our paychecks in the military. Once in a blue moon, a serviceman might get over (or under) paid and this might even go on for several months before someone noticed. Seriously, would you tell someone if you were being overpaid? ;) Anywho, when the government finally notices that you were overpaid, they will ask for it all back in one lump sum. However, when you are underpaid, they give it to back in payments.

Neo 03-23-2007 12:00 PM

Texasbelle, I think you must after my heart.... I completely agree with you on taxing the educated. Why must I pay a higher percentage of tax for being successful and advancing the lives of my family, my country, and those who truly need charity? This country has created a welfare system that rewards having children parents can't afford, and the less you do the more entitlements you recieve. Believe me, my life would be less stressful watching jerry springer all day while getting mailbox money. Don't get me started on property taxes for the "so called" award of living in the city of Shreveport. They wonder why people move out of the city.:mad: :mad:

Texasbelle for prez. maybe the middle east would be scared,, we would have a woman with so many emotions swirling they would not know if a nuke was coming or flowers. ( keep em on there toes 40)

AnimeSpirit 03-23-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
This country has created a welfare system that rewards having children parents can't afford, and the less you do the more entitlements you recieve.

You know, there was another website forum a while back that discussed a related topic to that. The forum was discussing a controversial government program idea.

This voluntary program involves social services taking note of a child's existance as soon as the doctor confirms the pregnancy (like a prebirth registration). Social services would then examine the parents' financial status and living arrangements (all of this voluntary). If the parents' lifestyle is considered unsatisfactory, then social services would point them to various means of improving their lifestyle prior to the child's birth (financial counseling, home loan programs, etc.). This would help create decent homes for the children upon their birth. Parents who actively participated in this program would have access to welfare should the need arise. Reverserly, parents who chose NOT to accept the help of social services would have trouble getting welfare. This is suppose to help reduce the people who abuse the system in this way and motivate people to take part in the various programs that our tax money pays for.

I don't know what my position on this idea is, but I'd be interested to see how it would work out.

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 02:47 PM

You know Neo, nothing can get it done like a woman.

Furthermore while we are discussing this, why should the educated and I guess that makes us rich have to be penalized so? Our tax bracket is such now that we don't even get to claim our children any longer. I am not sure if people are aware that it actually works that way but it does. You do reach a point where you are even penalized and no longer get to even claim your children as your own. However, you can sit around, do nothing, watch Springer all day, have EIGHT babies, and get to claim everyone of them and to put the cherry on top get an EARNED INCOME CREDIT. Now someone needs to justify that to me. A guess a Democrat could try. What about a flat tax rate? Everybody pays say the same 25% rate. Wouldn't that be a thought?

I frankly shudder at the thought of Hilary or Obama Bin Laden in the White House. John Edwards needs to stop and take care of his wife. It's time to enjoy the time you are going to have with her, not the campaign trail. Once the cancer metastasizes to the bones there is no curing it. These people's priorities and where they place them amaze me.

Enough of my soapbox for the moment...back to a little work so the government can get half of it to feed some bum down the road.:peace:

Neo 03-23-2007 03:13 PM

T-belle, you sound like a conservative to the core, and in the minority of the tax bracket. the minority, in most cases, have the biggest voice of change...... Not in this case. Go figure the rich get richer and poor want more for nothing! I say get an education, get a job, and bust your a**.

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 08:27 PM

I am with you Neo. The thing for most to remember is that the minority at this point have the advantage truly. They have more scholarships, etc. We have to pay the way the whole way!! It can be free for them if they choose to use the opportunities out there for them. It's all about what you want.

Isabella 03-23-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

True, but if a president is requesting an increase in taxes for whatever and congress votes for the increase then you have it. It is scary when a candidate is advocating raising taxes during their campaign.

Isabella 03-23-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
Texasbelle, I think you must after my heart.... I completely agree with you on taxing the educated. Why must I pay a higher percentage of tax for being successful and advancing the lives of my family, my country, and those who truly need charity? This country has created a welfare system that rewards having children parents can't afford, and the less you do the more entitlements you recieve. Believe me, my life would be less stressful watching jerry springer all day while getting mailbox money. Don't get me started on property taxes for the "so called" award of living in the city of Shreveport. They wonder why people move out of the city.:mad: :mad:

Texasbelle for prez. maybe the middle east would be scared,, we would have a woman with so many emotions swirling they would not know if a nuke was coming or flowers. ( keep em on there toes 40)

My sentiments, too! I have always thought it was unfair to tax people a higher percentage for making more money. There are people who have a trade who make more money than some people with a college education. They work hard and long hours to earn their money, so why should they pay more in taxes than someone who makes half what they do? The rich are the ones that help create jobs for those poorer people, too. If you take all their money away and incentive then you will have higher unemployment.

At this time, I am not for reductions in taxes and I am not for raising them either. Our congress needs to take what is coming in and make a fair budget. The elderly, the disabled, and children should be our first priorities. There is so much waste in government spending that if people were honest we could have a balanced budget.

Welfare causes people to lose self-esteem and the desire to work. It should temporary not a life style.

Isabella 03-23-2007 10:49 PM

What about a sales tax instead of an income tax? Some say it is a fairer tax. Not sure how I feel about this. 25% would be a lot for someone who only makes $12,000 a year. I feel anything over 35% is too high no matter how much you make. You still pay sales tax, property tax, and social security, so you need to have something left over to spend to keep our economy healthy.

rhertz 03-23-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'm nearly in agreement with joepole. I would even go further to say he is going to be "upper" middle-aged, and have had at least one affair! Or else its going to be pretty damn boring race I tell ya...

Isabella 03-24-2007 12:00 AM

rhertz would his first name be Rudy?

Texasbelle 03-24-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
What about a sales tax instead of an income tax? Some say it is a fairer tax. Not sure how I feel about this. 25% would be a lot for someone who only makes $12,000 a year. I feel anything over 35% is too high no matter how much you make. You still pay sales tax, property tax, and social security, so you need to have something left over to spend to keep our economy healthy.

Isabella, then I wonder how you feel about the almost 45% bracket my husband and I are in? Yes, almost 45% of everything earned in this house goes to TAXES! Somebody pleaasssssssseeeeee explain what is fair about that? I will tell you...nothing. People are penalized because they do better. They went to school, got an education, work longer hours, harder hours, and have to pay dearly for it.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-24-2007 10:27 AM

I would agree with that !!!

Quote:

Isabella, then I wonder how you feel about the almost 45% bracket my husband and I are in? Yes, almost 45% of everything earned in this house goes to TAXES! Somebody pleaasssssssseeeeee explain what is fair about that? I will tell you...nothing. People are penalized because they do better. They went to school, got an education, work longer hours, harder hours, and have to pay dearly for it.

I work for myself and have to pay high taxes "and" health insurance is thru the roof. I can deal with taxes because I do not make enough to be in the 45% bracket but the hospital bills and doctor office visits are killing me. This is what is killing the middle class working person. I am for equal taxes for all and depending on their status deductions might be in order. Good luck on these two. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Isaac

Texasbelle 03-24-2007 07:37 PM

So while I was out slaving away today in my flower beds I was thinking about this thread. I had several thoughts on it and a couple of points I wanted to make that really get me peaved. I am not sure who the next President is going to be but whomever it is I would like to be someone who has kahunas BIG enough to address and do something about some of these issues we are bringing up.

#1 People on Disability: How many people are out there on disability that really don't need to be? There are a whole lot of them and we are paying for it. It sickens me that claim illnesses that keep them from working yet we will pay for them to sit at home, smoke cigarettes so they can get cancer, and then we have to pay to treat them for that. I could go on and on about this, but the whole claiming disability system needs to be overhauled. Cancer patients have the worst time getting disability while people with disease like fibromyalgia (it's a catch all diagnosis for we are not really sure you are sick) can get disability. My vote will go to the one who can work on this.

#2 Politicians: Why can't we find some to elect that will actually do their job and quit fighting all the time? Don't you just get fed up with all the bickering they do instead of getting out into their communities and working to run this country and make it a better place. I really don't think they are listen to the majority of the masses.

That' enough for now. It's just my thoughts after slaving in the roses this afternoon!

Isaac-Saxxon 03-24-2007 08:05 PM

Did you prick your finger or something TB ?

Quote:

So while I was out slaving away today in my flower beds I was thinking about this thread. I had several thoughts on it and a couple of points I wanted to make that really get me peaved. I am not sure who the next President is going to be but whomever it is I would like to be someone who has kahunas BIG enough to address and do something about some of these issues we are bringing up.

#1 People on Disability: How many people are out there on disability that really don't need to be? There are a whole lot of them and we are paying for it. It sickens me that claim illnesses that keep them from working yet we will pay for them to sit at home, smoke cigarettes so they can get cancer, and then we have to pay to treat them for that. I could go on and on about this, but the whole claiming disability system needs to be overhauled. Cancer patients have the worst time getting disability while people with disease like fibromyalgia (it's a catch all diagnosis for we are not really sure you are sick) can get disability. My vote will go to the one who can work on this.

#2 Politicians: Why can't we find some to elect that will actually do their job and quit fighting all the time? Don't you just get fed up with all the bickering they do instead of getting out into their communities and working to run this country and make it a better place. I really don't think they are listen to the majority of the masses.

That' enough for now. It's just my thoughts after slaving in the roses this afternoon!

That post had some fire in it. I think that there are to many bleeding hearts out there to make many of the people work that are on welfare. The Dems get votes from those very people so why would they want to change it. Now with that said the GOP needs to get some brass horns and get the show on the road. The Dems are ready to give it to the dead beats and take it from the working people. I am hoping for a backlash in 08 by the swing voters.
Isaac
Points for TB on this one :clap: :clap:

Isabella 03-24-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

It's not fair! The most you should pay is 35% with deductions that everyone else gets. Truthfully, I think it should be no more than 33%. I did not realize there was a tax bracket with 45%. I assumed 35% was the highest. On top of that you have other taxes to pay besides income tax. However, I must admit I would love to have your problem. ;)

Texasbelle 03-26-2007 07:43 AM

I think me has to change my mind a little here on John Edwards. I've been watching an interview of he and his wife on The Early Show this morning. It is quite impressive the care and concern he has for her. Her metastatic disease is just confined to her ribs for now which is not going to require a lot of treatment. I will have to take back my statement that he needs to stay home with her. It would be ridiculous for him to do so since the treatment for metastatic disease for such as she has is pretty straightforward and not toxic. They seem to be a lovely couple, great folks and truly have a passion about serving the country. I would actually like to hear more from him and what he believes in before I make any more judgement on him.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-26-2007 08:41 AM

He is trial lawyer !!!!!!!!!

Quote:

I think me has to change my mind a little here on John Edwards. I've been watching an interview of he and his wife on The Early Show this morning. It is quite impressive the care and concern he has for her. Her metastatic disease is just confined to her ribs for now which is not going to require a lot of treatment. I will have to take back my statement that he needs to stay home with her. It would be ridiculous for him to do so since the treatment for metastatic disease for such as she has is pretty straightforward and not toxic. They seem to be a lovely couple, great folks and truly have a passion about serving the country. I would actually like to hear more from him and what he believes in before I make any more judgement on him.

When someone has cancer stress will not help and running for president is a very stressing thing. If it was my wife no way I would leave her to try to seek public office. They have plenty of money and life is just too short. No I would not vote for him. With that said him running for president has nothing at all to do with that statement I would tell anybody left or right to do the same thing.
Isaac

Texasbelle 03-26-2007 12:24 PM

I am going to disagree with you Isaac. If they feel this strongly about it, and they have to live with the consequences, then how can I judge their actions? I can't. Did you see the interview? It might change your perspective just a little about their rationale. Personally, I would not run. I think staying in home would be order but I can not judge them. It appears that plenty of thought and prayer went into their decision and they are very comfortable with it. I wish them the best of luck. She sure is going to need it!

Neo 03-26-2007 01:48 PM

Sounds like Mr. Edwards is using this as publicity. That has nothing to do with politics. Wait... that's political trickery. Sounds like a lawyer.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-26-2007 01:57 PM

Sounds like liberal lawyer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
Sounds like Mr. Edwards is using this as publicity. That has nothing to do with politics. Wait... that's political trickery. Sounds like a lawyer.

=Democratic trickery !

rhertz 03-26-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
Sounds like a lawyer.

Not all lawyers are bad. I am encouraging my son to become a lawyer someday. (we need a lawyer in the family) :D

May I suggest something like "rich liberal trial lawyer" or other discriptive adjective(s) that better describe THAT kind of lawyer. (whatever THAT is)

Texasbelle 03-26-2007 02:17 PM

Well, he is a lawyer so he does know how to spin things. However, I do think he is genuinely concerned for his wife. Is he going to use her illness to help his vote? Probably. But still I can not judge his actions, he has to live with it.

Al Swearengen 03-26-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo

Ya nailed it!

Look everyone...even though my wife's cancer has returned, Im willing to serve as your president because we feel it would be selfish and wrong to deprive the nation of my leadership. No...no, I've made my decision, please dont try to talk me out of it.

Typical "slip-n-fall" lawyer "sympathy grab" tactics. The man has no shame.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-26-2007 07:40 PM

He really does not have any shame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Ya nailed it!

Look everyone...even though my wife's cancer has returned, Im willing to serve as your president because we feel it would be selfish and wrong to deprive the nation of my leadership. No...no, I've made my decision, please dont try to talk me out of it.

Typical "slip-n-fall" lawyer "sympathy grab" tactics. The man has no shame.

He does not stand a chance anyway so do the right thing and take care of his wife first and he can do two or three PI cases a year and make all the money he needs. Oh but don't you dare say anything about his politics or you will be insulting his wife and him ! Democrats :nono: :nono:
Isaac

Isabella 03-26-2007 10:27 PM

Texasbelle, all I can say if you think you pay a lot of taxes now. let John Edwards or another democrat be elected president and you will see even higher taxes. Yes, congress is the one who votes on taxes, but a president can veto bills that raise taxes. Also, a president can ask congress to pass a bill to increase taxes. I do think he is using his wife's illness to get votes.

Texasbelle 03-27-2007 07:31 AM

Please don't doubt that I am a Republican through and through. Hell would have to freeze over before I ever voted for a Democrat. I only think I can't judge their motives too harshly. It's really not my place. Personally I think Isaac is right that he really is not going to go far with this. He didn't the last time. Either Hillary or Obama Bin Laden will get the Democratic nomination.

We shudder at the thought of any Democrat being elected to the White House. We KNOW our taxes are going to get higher which is a very scary thought.:eek:

Isaac-Saxxon 03-27-2007 07:40 AM

Time for a back lash to the right

Quote:

Please don't doubt that I am a Republican through and through. Hell would have to freeze over before I ever voted for a Democrat. I only think I can't judge their motives too harshly. It's really not my place. Personally I think Isaac is right that he really is not going to go far with this. He didn't the last time. Either Hillary or Obama Bin Laden will get the Democratic nomination.

We shudder at the thought of any Democrat being elected to the White House. We KNOW our taxes are going to get higher which is a very scary thought.:eek:

I think the bleeding hearts will see how greedy and mean the Dems are and by the time 08 comes around there will be a major out cry from Christian America and it will come at the cost of the Dems. John Edwards cares more about his career than anything and he has always been that way let us say he came up a top lawyer and in order to be that you must not have much heart when it comes to doing what is morally correct. Why would he change now. No he will not get the nomination so bow out and gain some respect from his family and the country.
Isaac

Al Swearengen 03-27-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Oh but T-Belle, it most definitly IS your place to judge their motives. "Government by consent of the governed" means YOU and I and all the other little people are the masters. Our PUBLIC SERVANTS need to be reminded of this sacred truth from time to time. If someone wants to "serve" in our highest executive leadership position, they must be prepared to endure the closest scrutiny, answer the most prying questions, satisfy every curiosity.

As for the party system, BOTH of the main parties are self-serving and corrupt. They are focused only on enriching themselves at the taxpayer's expense. Voting along party lines only enables and perpetuates the corruption. Until this sad situation changes (and that day might come sooner than later), there can never really BE honest and effective leadership. So please, dont ever blindly follow a "party". You would be doing the country a disservice. Cast your vote for the best candidate for the job, whoever you think that to be.

rhertz 03-27-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Oh but T-Belle, it most definitly IS your place to judge their motives. "Government by consent of the governed" means YOU and I and all the other little people are the masters. Our PUBLIC SERVANTS need to be reminded of this sacred truth from time to time.

(In my best Cameron voice)
Ferris Beuller, you're my hero! :D

More rep points for Al!

Texasbelle 03-27-2007 11:58 PM

You know that I love you Al right? But I am going to disagree a little here. I can't judge his motives 100%. Do I think he might be using a situation to further his motives? Yes. But what are his motives? You and I don't know except he wants to be President. I think we are going to have to hear from him a little more to really wade through his rhetoric and decide what we actually think those motives are.

Do you listen to Sean Hannity? I listened to him last week and heard him discussing the idea of a new party of conservatives, people willing to stop all this crap of "party lines" and people like us willing to have a conscience. His thoughts are just like yours which are just like mine. It is definitely what I would like to see happen.