Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anybody Up For Some Local Baseball (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446)

sbl_admin 05-14-2007 07:36 AM

Anybody Up For Some Local Baseball

The Sports open their home season against the Lincoln Saltdogs at Fair Grounds Field at 7 p.m. today with a fireworks show planned following the game.

Texasbelle 05-14-2007 07:55 AM

Speaking of local baseball.....how about Calvary Baptist Academy's Baseball Team winning the State Championship this weekend??????

GO
CAVS

Isaac-Saxxon 05-14-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Speaking of local baseball.....how about Calvary Baptist Academy's Baseball Team winning the State Championship this weekend??????

GO
CAVS

Is this the first time that Calvary beat out Evangel at something ? :laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-14-2007 06:36 PM

I think Evangel really turns out some big time players. I do not know how they do it ? I hear that Calvary it trying to make a run for it but I do not know much about private schools in Shreveport. Which one is the larger campus ? How many students and what grades do they start at ? Sounds like a big time business in the private schools as big a name as Evangel has :D

Texasbelle 05-14-2007 10:34 PM

What is your definition of "Big Time"? Many have gone on to play college ball. Only Richard Smith has actually made it somewhat in the NFL. Now a couple have been drafted this year but whether they will actually get to play or not still remains to be seen. Brock Berlin was just cut by the Cowboys. Booty is still with the Oakland Raiders. It will be interesting to watch those just drafted.

Calvary is a young school. They just graduated their third senior class but what an impressive start in just four years of high school.

But let's not start the Evangel/Calvary debate. Both schools have their things and both have potential.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-15-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
What is your definition of "Big Time"? Many have gone on to play college ball. Only Richard Smith has actually made it somewhat in the NFL. Now a couple have been drafted this year but whether they will actually get to play or not still remains to be seen. Brock Berlin was just cut by the Cowboys. Booty is still with the Oakland Raiders. It will be interesting to watch those just drafted.

Calvary is a young school. They just graduated their third senior class but what an impressive start in just four years of high school.

But let's not start the Evangel/Calvary debate. Both schools have their things and both have potential.

I would call that big time in a big way :D Has Calvary turned out any pro players ? I guess being new and a smaller school it will take some years to get up to the level of Evangel :rolleyes:

Texasbelle 05-15-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I would call that big time in a big way :D Has Calvary turned out any pro players ? I guess being new and a smaller school it will take some years to get up to the level of Evangel :rolleyes:

In three years they have already won a state championship in baseball. They have made it to the playoffs twice in football. I would say Calvary is off to a great start.

BUT sports is not the focus at Calvary. I have had one child graduate from Evangel, one graduating this year from Calvary, and at one point all three of mine attended Evangel. There is a tremendous difference between the two schools when it comes to academics and the quality of academic focus. Another difference I have noticed between the two schools is the quality of students. I realize that statement will not make me popular but there is a difference when you have all of your students paying tuition, they must all pass an entrance exam in order to be able to attend Calvary, and can not have ever been a discipline problem at another school prior to attending Calvary. It is surprising how many are turned away just by the entrance exam results alone. More surprising are the schools they are coming from and can not pass to get in.

We have now completed four years at Calvary and have been very impressed with the quality of education our son received, he learned in a truely Godly environment, and never once was school cancelled because of a football game!

Neo 05-15-2007 08:29 AM

The church school's may be good at sports, however, it seems it is lacking in social skill techniques and overall education. Public school seems to beat out Mr. Duron and Mr. Cavalry.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-15-2007 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
The church school's may be good at sports, however, it seems it is lacking in social skill techniques and overall education. Public school seems to beat out Mr. Duron and Mr. Cavalry.

Neo why in the world would you say something like that ? Have you been back in the pill box again ?

Attachment 566

Neo 05-15-2007 01:00 PM

GO GATORS:peace:

Texasbelle 05-15-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo

What are you basing this statement on, Neo?

Pocahontas 05-15-2007 03:35 PM

Go Panthers!!!!:clap:

Sheba 05-15-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo

Oh, Neo... did you have to go there? Let me speak from personal experience gained from some hard lessons after moving here. We entered our kids in public school and found the schools you spoke of to be at least a year behind in curriculum for my kids and even more than that as an educator. We chalked the first year up and moved my 8th grader to Evangel and my 1st grader to a magnet school. Each child has thus excelled in her/his setting.

My daughter is now graduating with a 4.4 GPA from Evangel as salutatorian. She excels in every area and she's beautiful inside & out. As educator and parent, I have found Evangel to be an incredible school - and my daughter is not a football jock. She holds her own academically and socially in any arena because of her background at Evangel.

As far as Evangel's credentials beyond sports, they carry the highest SACS rating - from the same accreditation board that governs public school here in LA. The teachers are well educated, from many cultural backgrounds, and are caring far beyond what we found in public schools.

I cannot speak to Calvary's credentials because I have no experience there. I do know that they are not SACS accredited. This is not an anti-Calvary post. Both schools have a push for excellence and goals for reaching it. I am proud to have state football champs (12 years running) and new state baseball champs from the same town. That's speaks highly for Christian schools Shreveport!!

When you have children, you will make school decisions based on what fits your family and your beliefs - public, private, home-schooling, Christian schools. I hope you will research your options and consider them carefully.

I also hope that you will refrain from disrespectfully calling pastors by silly names. Blanket statements do not reflect one's level of education very well. I would like to think that you are more than just a "good old boy" who repeats just what he hears.

Texasbelle 05-15-2007 07:54 PM

Congratulations to your daughter Sheba!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: What college is she going to? That GPA with TOPS ought to have her some great scholarships!

Now that we live in Texas we do not get the advantage of TOPS although we still pay LA State Income Tax.

Sheba 05-15-2007 07:55 PM

PS

go Eagles!!