Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family & Home (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fake or real tree? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3259)

Pocahontas 12-15-2007 09:19 PM

Fake or real tree?

Mr. P tried to talk me into getting an artificial tree this year, but I said no way Hosea! Although the fake ones are looking more real I enjoy the smell of my real tree. I also think it would be hard to store an artificial one without taking up alot of attic space. Any thoughts?

LateNight 12-15-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26602)
Mr. P tried to talk me into getting an artificial tree this year, but I said no way Hosea! Although the fake ones are looking more real I enjoy the smell of my real tree. I also think it would be hard to store an artificial one without taking up alot of attic space. Any thoughts?

I've posted the pic on this site a few times.. real christmas trees scare the heck out of me, once I realized the potential fire hazard involved.. regardless if you water the thing or not.

Fake trees don't bother me.. as long as they are green.. deck 'em out with christmas decorations etc.. looks like a darn christmas tree.. no needles to fall off on the floor etc..

that's my .02 on the subject :peace:

rhertz 12-15-2007 10:36 PM

For our family, it is a matter of allergies. We have a fake tree out of necessity. Doesn't smell as good but it feels much better :D

joepole 12-15-2007 11:19 PM

We have a 40-ish year old fake tree we inherited from my wife's grandmother. We store it in that little wedge-spaced area in the closet under our stairs.

Morpheus 12-16-2007 07:43 AM

We've had a fake tree for three years now. I was once like you, and swore that I would never own a fake tree. But now it's just too convenient. We have carpet now, and I don't want to deal with the mess. Plus the tree comes with the lights already on it.

Pocahontas 12-16-2007 08:52 AM

Well I'm totally alone on this one! It is part of our tradition to have the real deal so I'm standing my ground! I'm alone on dealing with the mess that comes with it as well.:rolleyes:

Morpheus 12-16-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26611)
Well I'm totally alone on this one! It is part of our tradition to have the real deal so I'm standing my ground! I'm alone on dealing with the mess that comes with it as well.:rolleyes:

Interesting note: I was shocked to discover that one of the last "real" trees that we had, on closer inspection appeared to be spray painted green!

Isaac-Saxxon 12-16-2007 10:48 AM

Real trees are nice but I do not smell the fresh pine in the house ?? I would go for the artificial tree in a heart beat save money and reduce my carbon footprint :D

Princess Leia 12-16-2007 01:48 PM

I have a fake tree. I honestly don't have time to water and take care of real tree seeing that I am a single mom of 2 small ones. To help with the pine scent, I have yankee candles. Christmas Wreath is a good one. Also, I love the no mess with a fake tree as well as not having to string a lot of lights.

vixweb 12-16-2007 03:31 PM

Real tree, definately. No contest.

rhertz 12-16-2007 04:05 PM

I wish I had videoed me putting up my tree which is not only fake, but pre-lit with like zillion little lights. I zipped open the bag and stood up the first section that already had the stand attached. I then added the second section and plugged in the power cord. Same for the third second. I placed the angel on top, and found an extension cord and plugged it in. Voila! Dad's job is done. It didn't take long for the four of us to decorate it. It reminds me of all those pretty commercial trees on Charlie Brown's Christmas! :p

If I like the smell of pine, I would go out and buy a pine scented wall plug-in or something. Maybe just pour a jigger of pine sol into a dish and leave it out.. :eek: :peace:

LateNight 12-16-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 26631)
I wish I had videoed me putting up my tree which is not only fake, but pre-lit with like zillion little lights. I zipped open the bag and stood up the first section that already had the stand attached. I then added the second section and plugged in the power cord. Same for the third second. I placed the angel on top, and found an extension cord and plugged it in. Voila! Dad's job is done. It didn't take long for the four of us to decorate it. It reminds me of all those pretty commercial trees on Charlie Brown's Christmas! :p

If I like the smell of pine, I would go out and buy a pine scented wall plug-in or something. Maybe just pour a jigger of pine sol into a dish and leave it out.. :eek: :peace:

The scrooge that I am this year.. wasn't going to bother with a christmas tree.. so my mother insisted on buying me one.. sounds kind of like the one you got there.. It's being put up now as I type.. the kids have it covered :)

rhertz 12-16-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight (Post 26634)
The scrooge that I am this year.. wasn't going to bother with a christmas tree.. so my mother insisted on buying me one.. sounds kind of like the one you got there.. It's being put up now as I type.. the kids have it covered :)

Now you have to go out and buy a big zipper bag to store it up in the attic to keep the bug out in the summer. :ducking:

I tried using a cardboard box one year and yellow jackets made the biggest nest inside that I ever saw.

Or you could just leave it up year around.. :D But the good news is that you'll have a tree next year and the next, and the next.... Congrats!

Morpheus 12-16-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight (Post 26634)

You can't be a scrooge with kids running about.

Texasbelle 12-16-2007 08:48 PM

Fake tree...and mine is covered with so many ornaments you can't really see if it's real or not. It came with the lights on it which is nice. I do put some fresh cedar around in a couple of arrangements and that way I get the aroma of some fresh, cut greenery.