Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Stelly Tax Plan (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252)

purpahurl 04-26-2007 02:50 PM

Stelly Tax Plan

How many of y'all were affected by this scheme. Should it be repealed?

BrainSmashR 04-26-2007 03:34 PM

It's my understanding that even Victor Stelly no longer supports the Stelly plan although I can't seem to put my hands on a link confirming that rumor.

rhertz 04-26-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl

Yes and Yes.

Santabot 04-26-2007 08:46 PM

I was up until a point I wasn't aware of, but I recently noticed and talked about it with my dad just the other day, but I haven't even seen any 0% tax cut on food or anything like it said it would do, so I see no use for it unless it's going to be enforced.

purpahurl 04-26-2007 08:58 PM

enforced

Oh it's enforced, just wait until you start paying taxes. Don't worry about itemized deduction's or having children you'll pay for that too. OH, by the way you can deduct for some expenses, up to $25.00. That is really generous.

Santabot 04-26-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Oh it's enforced, just wait until you start paying taxes. Don't worry about itemized deduction's or having children you'll pay for that too. OH, by the way you can deduct for some expenses, up to $25.00. That is really generous.

But at the first part of it, even I was getting full tax cut on food items from grocery stores and restaurants, $0.00 tax and I liked it, but gradually, I've noticed that now there's no such thing anymore, and I'm not too sure really what the law was supposed to accomplish, because I'm not really clear on what it's based on.

BrainSmashR 04-27-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
But at the first part of it, even I was getting full tax cut on food items from grocery stores and restaurants, $0.00 tax and I liked it, but gradually, I've noticed that now there's no such thing anymore, and I'm not too sure really what the law was supposed to accomplish, because I'm not really clear on what it's based on.

That's pretty interesting.

Do you also have a full-time job and pay income taxes or are you complaining that you no longer get a tax break at the expense of the working class in this state?

Remember, flipping burgers IS work, but if you get a full refund (I've even heard of returns larger than what was paid in thanks to EIC and such) then you are not "paying" taxes, but rather just going through the motions.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-27-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

It should be repealed and it is a very bad scheme. Many of the food stores still do not have their computers set up to not tax many food items. I think and hope it will come up for a vote it will not stand a change. Good post :clap:

Santabot 04-27-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
That's pretty interesting.

Do you also have a full-time job and pay income taxes or are you complaining that you no longer get a tax break at the expense of the working class in this state?

Remember, flipping burgers IS work, but if you get a full refund (I've even heard of returns larger than what was paid in thanks to EIC and such) then you are not "paying" taxes, but rather just going through the motions.

One: You don't know anything about my occupation or source of income, so please don't assume incorrectly as if to embarrass or insult me.

Even while in school, I've worked many 40+ hour weeks, pay income taxes, and any other tax related to normal adult living, save property tax. I know that on my tax return I've received most of it back, but not all. How can I go about (even without a job I could do these) pay sales tax, prize tax, gas tax, and many others, but still not considered "paying taxes"? They just leave that kind of money unaccounted for? Or how much do they really know about who's purchasing what?

I didn't say I was a huge money-maker or anything, just that I had at first actually gotten 0% tax on food items at grocery stores and restaurants; and if they're only giving those breaks to people who "pay taxes", nobody asked me in any restaurant "Hey, do you make enough money to pay full taxes to the government? Okay, here's your tax break". I just don't see how that's a way to reasonably select who gets these cuts.

BrainSmashR 04-27-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
One: You don't know anything about my occupation or source of income, so please don't assume incorrectly as if to embarrass or insult me.

That's why I used a question mark when I asked about your employment and tax status. It's used to indicated a question, not a statement, Einstein.
Quote:

Even while in school, I've worked many 40+ hour weeks, pay income taxes, and any other tax related to normal adult living, save property tax. I know that on my tax return I've received most of it back, but not all. How can I go about (even without a job I could do these) pay sales tax, prize tax, gas tax, and many others, but still not considered "paying taxes"? They just leave that kind of money unaccounted for? Or how much do they really know about who's purchasing what?
Because the Stelly tax is designed to make up the profit it looses in "food items" on State income taxes, which ARE NOT affected by how much gas you put in your car, how many cigarettes you buy, or even any property tax you might eventually pay. ONLY state income tax.

The "problem" with the Stelly Plan is that is considers people making 40-50 thousand a year rich instead of middle class and thus, lot's of folks in Louisiana took a beating.

Kid, accept the fact that you are 17, not nearly as smart as you think you are, and the least experienced in everything out of all the regular forum users here.
Quote:

I didn't say I was a huge money-maker or anything, just that I had at first actually gotten 0% tax on food items at grocery stores and restaurants; and if they're only giving those breaks to people who "pay taxes", nobody asked me in any restaurant "Hey, do you make enough money to pay full taxes to the government? Okay, here's your tax break". I just don't see how that's a way to reasonably select who gets these cuts.
I refer you to the response for the above paragraph. My fault entirely....I assumed you had at least a partial clue about the Stelly Tax since you were participating in the conversation.