Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What are some favorite Christmas or Holiday songs (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3240)

purpahurl 12-12-2007 03:37 PM

What are some favorite Christmas or Holiday songs
 
What are some of y'alls favorite Christmas tunes?

I love The A Train "Holiday Love". I like Burl Ives "Holly Jolly Christmas", and I think my all time favorite is "Mary Did You Know". Several people have done this song and some are much better than others.

Morpheus 12-12-2007 04:05 PM

I like all Christmas music, especially the classics-Burl Ives, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Gene Autry, Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, etc. I like some of the new stuff too. I like Trans Siberian Orchestra-been to see them twice at the Century Tel. I like Manheim Steamroller. I like the song "Grown up Christmas" too, but not when a man does it. I also like "Baby It's Cold Outside". Let's see, that's about it. Sounds best while drinking Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog.

joepole 12-12-2007 04:09 PM

I'm not really a fan of religious or holiday music, but this song (profanity removed by admin) really touches me.

Morpheus 12-12-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 26490)
I'm not really a fan of religious or holiday music, but this song really touches me.

hmmm, I thought for sure you were going to say it was this classic:


purpahurl 12-12-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 26490)
I'm not really a fan of religious or holiday music, but this song really touches me.

Yes, that's a good one. I'll let my kids here it and hopefully they can enlighten everyone at school.

howela 12-12-2007 04:52 PM

Christmas music
 
3 Attachment(s)
Nothing makes me feel more like it is Christmas than hearing this one.
Attachment 1993

Or this one.

Attachment 1994

Merry Christmas all
Attachment 1995

Texasbelle 12-12-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26489)
I like all Christmas music, especially the classics-Burl Ives, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Gene Autry, Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, etc. I like some of the new stuff too. I like Trans Siberian Orchestra-been to see them twice at the Century Tel. I like Manheim Steamroller. I like the song "Grown up Christmas" too, but not when a man does it. I also like "Baby It's Cold Outside". Let's see, that's about it. Sounds best while drinking Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog.

Morph, you obviously have not heard Michael Buble do "Grown Up Christmas List". He does it the best!!!

My favorites are "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey, "Mary Did you Know?" by Clay Aiken, "There's a New Kid In Town" by Tricia Yearwood, and I just love "Silent Night", and oh "Last Christmas" Wham!.

Pocahontas 12-12-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26489)
I like all Christmas music, especially the classics-Burl Ives, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Gene Autry, Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, etc. I like some of the new stuff too. I like Trans Siberian Orchestra-been to see them twice at the Century Tel. I like Manheim Steamroller. I like the song "Grown up Christmas" too, but not when a man does it. I also like "Baby It's Cold Outside". Let's see, that's about it. Sounds best while drinking Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog.

Well you just named all of my favoritie artists! I've been listening to sirius satellite's romantic Christmas songs. It is all of those guys plus some Carpenter's thrown in for good measure! Merry Christmas Darling is a newer classic! Those earlier songs take me way back to carefree days of being a kid and not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve. I would lie there so afraid that Santa was going to catch me awake! Nostalgia at it's best!:)

rhertz 12-12-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26489)
I like Manheim Steamroller.

Well be sure to enter the Christmas decoration contest cause all five runners-up win a Manheim Steamroller CD collection. I haven't entered my photo yet, but I'm working on it....

Morpheus 12-12-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 26503)
Morph, you obviously have not heard Michael Buble do "Grown Up Christmas List". He does it the best!!!

My favorites are "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey, "Mary Did you Know?" by Clay Aiken, "There's a New Kid In Town" by Tricia Yearwood, and I just love "Silent Night", and oh "Last Christmas" Wham!.

That's exactly the Grown up Christmas I was referring to. I think it sounds gay. I like Michael Buble, but I get a weird vibe when he does that particular song. BTW, your list includes notable homos Clay Aiken and Wham.

Morpheus 12-12-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26509)
Well you just named all of my favoritie artists! I've been listening to sirius satellite's romantic Christmas songs. It is all of those guys plus some Carpenter's thrown in for good measure! Merry Christmas Darling is a newer classic! Those earlier songs take me way back to carefree days of being a kid and not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve. I would lie there so afraid that Santa was going to catch me awake! Nostalgia at it's best!:)

Damn, I forgot the Carpenters. Karen Capenter is THE smoothest ever. Good call pokie.:clap:

Morpheus 12-12-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 26511)
Well be sure to enter the Christmas decoration contest cause all five runners-up win a Manheim Steamroller CD collection. I haven't entered my photo yet, but I'm working on it....

What's the deadline?

j.nc 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

Ah hell, they're all good. Silent Night is hard to beat for me - it's got a backstory and a beat and it is easy to dance to. Vinnie and Gail rated it a 5:

http://www.danceheritage.org/images/amerbandstand.jpg

But to wrap it all all up gimme a good pompous banging it out "Adeste Fideles"

purpahurl 12-12-2007 11:12 PM

Any one out there with kids are missing a good one if you don't have "Emmet Otters JUG BAND Christmas". There are no Christmas songs on here, but the spirit of Christmas is the theme and the songs are wonderfull.

I grew up with it when HBO first came out. That's when they showed stuff worth watching. Now we have it on DVD and my kids like it like I still do.

LateNight 12-13-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 26527)
Any one out there with kids are missing a good one if you don't have "Emmet Otters JUG BAND Christmas". There are no Christmas songs on here, but the spirit of Christmas is the theme and the songs are wonderfull.

I grew up with it when HBO first came out. That's when they showed stuff worth watching. Now we have it on DVD and my kids like it like I still do.

LOL I remember ol' Emmet Otters Jug band christmas.. that was pretty good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.7.2
Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
2008 Shreveport.com