Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food & Dining (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Old Restaurant thread (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729)

rhertz 02-07-2007 07:29 PM

Old Restaurant thread
 
Mrs Hertz and I were talking about old restaurants that are no longer in business here in Shreveport Bossier. These come to mind...

Danby's (Eastgate and Riverfront) We liked their Ham and cheese sandwiches
Italian Gardens (Cross Lake) We liked the seafood linguini
Sansones (S'port Barksdale Hwy) Good Canoloni

But then that turned into the Chinese restaurant with the rats! Remember that!?

Pizza Inn (Kings and Youree) good sausage pizza
Shaky's pizza (Shreve city)
Crock of Cheese (now Chiante's on Line) It was a funeral home before that
Northeast Seafood Deli (on Youree in old Whataburger) short lived
Stump Water Inn (near blanchard) Awesome catfish and frog legs!
Centenary Oyster House (across from head shop on Centenary) Bad ass Jalpeno cheese fries
Dobb's House (on youree) Open late like Nanking

And how about Fertitta's and Monseur's?? Or Abes?? that's going wayyyy back

Al Swearengen 02-07-2007 08:26 PM

The chinese place served rat? :D Ive heard of korean places sellin dog, but man, thats too much! Yeah, I remember Shaky's Pizza...there was a neighborhood guy that worked there...Baldwin or somethin was his name...guy always smelled like pizza and we rarely ever saw him around. Heres one I bet nobody remembers...Luigi's Pizza, was at the front of the Sun City subdivision in Bossier City, in front of Parkway High School back in the early to mid 70's, next to the old 7-11, the 7-11 was a hardware place after that...and there was a small white brick building that was a beauty shop I think...or maybe it was a dog grooming business, cant remember now its been so long. Anyway, we used to pronounce Luigi's "Loogie's", which always got me and my brothers giggling. Inside, they had this picture on the wall...depending on how ya looked at it, it was either a picture of two victorian era ladies having tea, or it was a rather eerie skull...always thought it was a pretty strange picture to have hanging up on the wall of a resteraunt. Yeah, Pizza King was great...ate alot of good pizza and drank alot of beer there in the 90's...they had some weird wall art there, too...guess they closed not long after that. Seems the older I get, the more I find my thoughts turning back to those days, and remembering them thru rose colored filters, so to speak...when I KNOW that those days werent always good, like that line from the Billy Joel tune. We lived on Saturn street in Sun City when I was a kid back in the 70s, and we'd walk or ride our bikes all the way up to that 7-11 and get icees and candy...and I'd get those little packs of cinnamin or wintergreen toothpicks, maybe buy a comic book or one of those cheap balsawood planes you put together..if I had a bit more money I might even buy one of those planes with the rubberband powered propellers. Some of the songs on the radio were "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace, Billy Swann's "I Can Help", and "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, "Those Were The Days My Friend" by Mary Hopkins. My favorite toys were a lime green or lemon yellow "Duncan" Beginner's Yoyo ( I never was good enough with a yoyo that I could handle a Duncan "Imperial"), and a "Nerf" Fokker Tri-plane that never flew too good...or how about those foot-tall GI Joe action figures with the weird hair that would come off if ya got em wet? Yeah, its kind of alarming when I realize how often I think about those things. Just a different era. I cant help but think that these young people today are missing out on all that stuff.

joepole 02-07-2007 10:11 PM

The "Chinese food rat story" refers to one night when the cops answered an alarm call at a Chinese restaurant (Taste of China, maybe?) and found the buffet food was still sitting out at night and "rats the size of housecats" were munching away on it.

I miss Cypress Inn and the place that used to be across the street from Schumpert that had really good Eggs Benedict.

I also spent many hours of my youth spinning on the counter stools at The Tic-Tock Grill (now Schumpert on line) despite the protests from my parents. Weismans (now The Margarita Cafe, formerly Tacomania) always had the best fried chicken and Theo's (downtown across from the library) has the best cheeseburger po-boys.

LateNight 02-07-2007 11:32 PM

LOL back in the day, growing up in New Jersey.. on every street corner it seemed, there'd be some no-name Italian pizza place.. some italian guy back there tossin' pizza dough in the air. We'd buy one slice of pizza for a meal.. best damn pizza I ever had. Moved down here to the likes of PIzza hut and the like and I was all like "this ain't pizza!"

And to comment on what Al was saying about today's kids missing out.. you got that right., they spend too much damn time playin' video games and on the computer.

rhertz 02-08-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
I miss Cypress Inn and ... The Tic-Tock Grill...Weismans

Now there are some good ones joepole! I miss them all. Weismans also had good hot tamales, and I would get those to-go. I also liked Cobb's Barbeque down the road across from centenary. Good ham poboys with cole slaw on em. Louis and Hershal's brother Joe Cobb is still selling BBQ over in Bossier all these decades. That might be one of the oldest remaining restaurants around. I love reading the old memoribilia on the walls, like I do at Herby K's.


Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Theo's (downtown across from the library) has the best cheeseburger po-boys.

I am sorry to report that Theo's closed down about 10 or 12 months ago. I don't know why, they were always crowded for lunch.

joepole 02-08-2007 02:48 PM

I know, I work downtown, I meant to say "had."

Leon's also closed recently, so I have to put them on my list, as well.

trkshot8 03-17-2007 12:19 AM

I am rarely ever here, but this evening when I read this topic it brought back some memories. I am 34 years old. Do you remember Powell's in Bossier? What about ?Walgreens?(Ugh!! I can't remember the name now!!)Restaurant in South Park Mall? And what about Bonanza on 70th, just before the tracks at Mansfield Rd? And lastly, what was the name of that place that was just north of 70th on Southern? It was a white building and seemed to have an awning spanning out around it.

rhertz 03-17-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkshot8
I am rarely ever here, but this evening when I read this topic it brought back some memories. I am 34 years old. Do you remember Powell's in Bossier? What about ?Walgreens?(Ugh!! I can't remember the name now!!)Restaurant in South Park Mall? And what about Bonanza on 70th, just before the tracks at Mansfield Rd? And lastly, what was the name of that place that was just north of 70th on Southern? It was a white building and seemed to have an awning spanning out around it.

The only resturant I remember in South Park Mall was El Chicos. It was good back then. I do remember the Bonanza which brings up new memories and more names like:

Mr Beef (Pierremont)
Alphies Fish and Chips (Pierremont)
Sambo's (Benton Rd at Old Minden)

Sambo's logo was a Indian guy with a turban on his head as I recall. Regardless, I'm sure this chain is out of business or at least changed their name and logo.

Texasbelle 03-22-2007 03:05 PM

I remember the Walgreen's in Southpark. That was a long time ago. You are definitely dating all of us with this list of restaurants.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-22-2007 03:43 PM

Did you eat at Walgreen's often ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I remember the Walgreen's in Southpark. That was a long time ago. You are definitely dating all of us with this list of restaurants.

How was the food there ? What was your favorite dish ? :laugh: I see you have a very interesting taste in favorite food dives :rolleyes:
Isaac

Neo 03-22-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I remember the Walgreen's in Southpark. That was a long time ago. You are definitely dating all of us with this list of restaurants.



sounds like you like the holes in the wall. Do you like the Don's stuffed crab and iced tea, you get a discount, earlybird special.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

where you around for firenzes by the cambridge club.
p.s. forgive the spelling, it was before my time

Nice avatar, it reminds me of Pink Floyd:The Wall.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-22-2007 04:09 PM

You know Neo it is like in the Matrix
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo
sounds like you like the holes in the wall. Do you like the Don's stuffed crab and iced tea, you get a discount, earlybird special.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

where you around for firenzes by the cambridge club.
p.s. forgive the spelling, it was before my time

Nice avatar, it reminds me of Pink Floyd:The Wall.

You can not unplug a mind after a certain age it can not handle it. If she where to watch the Wall movie she would stroke out. To much for the mind to handle for the first time at 41. I feel sure that 80% of the people on this board have seen Pink Floyd the Wall movie. I know ole Texasbelle lives in a box and that would being the same as unplugging don't you think.
Isaac
Texasbelle you know if you have your AARP card you get 10% off at Don's and the Pickle Barrel too might want to check out some of them biscuits and white gravy. Take home a bag of roll too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Isaac

scarlett 03-22-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
LOL back in the day, growing up in New Jersey.. on every street corner it seemed, there'd be some no-name Italian pizza place.. some italian guy back there tossin' pizza dough in the air. We'd buy one slice of pizza for a meal.. best damn pizza I ever had. Moved down here to the likes of PIzza hut and the like and I was all like "this ain't pizza!"

And to comment on what Al was saying about today's kids missing out.. you got that right., they spend too much damn time playin' video games and on the computer.

I dated a guy that was a "true" italian and his family had a pizza place in a mall where I lived. They made the best pizza you could ever have.

Italian food is my favorite YUM!

Texasbelle 03-22-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You can not unplug a mind after a certain age it can not handle it. If she where to watch the Wall movie she would stroke out. To much for the mind to handle for the first time at 41. I feel sure that 80% of the people on this board have seen Pink Floyd the Wall movie. I know ole Texasbelle lives in a box and that would being the same as unplugging don't you think.
Isaac
Texasbelle you know if you have your AARP card you get 10% off at Don's and the Pickle Barrel too might want to check out some of them biscuits and white gravy. Take home a bag of roll too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Isaac

No sweet britches not 41...40!!!!!! Much different than what your 47 is it? I remember Firenze's. Only ate at the place in the mall once when I was about 10. I am more of a Village, Superior Steakhouse, Bella Fresca kind of girl. Does that help you out a little Neo?

Pink Floyd? No...can't go there. And won't even bite on that hook.

scarlett 03-22-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
No sweet britches not 41...40!!!!!! Much different than what your 47 is it? I remember Firenze's. Only ate at the place in the mall once when I was about 10. I am more of a Village, Superior Steakhouse, Bella Fresca kind of girl. Does that help you out a little Neo?

Pink Floyd? No...can't go there. And won't even bite on that hook.

Village and Superior Steakhouse my 2 favorite restaurants in S'port

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 09:22 AM

I heard the Steakhouse calling me this morning since DD is coming in to town this afternoon from LSU-BR. But she wants to order her first LEGAL drink from Superior Bar and Grill so there we must go this afternoon so the bombshell mini-me can order a margarita!

Have you tried the new Cantina Laredo?

scarlett 03-23-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle

Have you tried the new Cantina Laredo?

I don't live there anymore so no I haven't. I will eventually visit again so let me know how it is. You and I seem to have very similiar taste in things. :D

joepole 03-23-2007 10:07 AM

I went to lunch at Cantina Laredo a couple of weeks ago with the wife. I think it's the first $50 lunch i ever had in Shreveport. It was pretty good, though.

Texasbelle 03-23-2007 11:11 AM

I agree Joe, it is good but pricey. The margaritas are very, very good. The tableside guacamole is good. Can't remember the entrees I have tried but they were adequate. They serve two sauces with your chips which are both very nice. It's worth a try if you've never been.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-23-2007 11:25 AM

Just where is Cantina Laredo ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I agree Joe, it is good but pricey. The margaritas are very, very good. The tableside guacamole is good. Can't remember the entrees I have tried but they were adequate. They serve two sauces with your chips which are both very nice. It's worth a try if you've never been.

I think I might just take darling out there tonight ! We love that guacamole.
Isaac

Neo 03-23-2007 03:40 PM

sir Isaac, did you notice the matrix is running.:clap:

rhertz 03-23-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Have you tried the new Cantina Laredo?

We have been there 3 times. The guac made at the table is awesome. The salsas are hot and good. The kids liked the queso dip all loaded up. But the chicken enchiladas (my usual fav) were not up to par IMHO. But everything else is good. I'm with Joepole, the prices add up quick. I hear it is actually owned by the El Chico corporation. Dunno if that is true or not.

rhertz 03-23-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
They serve two sauces with your chips which are both very nice.

Yeah and one is hot as hell! (just a friendly warning)

Isabella 03-23-2007 11:21 PM

Where is it located?

Isabella 03-23-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett
Village and Superior Steakhouse my 2 favorite restaurants in S'port

Where is Village and Bella Fresca? Never heard of either. I do not live in Shreveport, but come about twice a month.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-24-2007 06:18 AM

Twice a month Isabella not is not enough
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
Where is Village and Bella Fresca? Never heard of either. I do not live in Shreveport, but come about twice a month.

Village and Superior Steakhouse my 2 favorite restaurants in S'port ? I would choose the Village over the Steak House but both are good. If you want to take your time and dine at slow pace the Village if not well you know. Scarlett it would seem you and T-Bell have the same taste :D Isabella you will find Village on LA Ave and Stoner and Steak House on Line and Piermont Ave. The high dollar tex-mex Youree Drive and Gator Drive.
Isaac

Isabella 03-24-2007 08:48 AM

What kind of food at Village? Is it downtown?

Isaac-Saxxon 03-24-2007 10:01 AM

They serve surf and turf
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
What kind of food at Village? Is it downtown?

Great steaks, lobster, shrimp and lamb too. It cost about 50 - 60.00 a head and maybe more with adult beverage. I have been there many times and the dress code is in the upper end and service is great. Ask for Phillip he is one of the best. There is Joey, Brian many others. It is about a two hour meal and much fun and no kids. Oh it is located near I-20 and Stoner by the old Doctors Hospital.
Isaac

joepole 03-24-2007 06:31 PM

The Village is next to Monjunis. Louisiana @ Stoner. I love the food but am genuinely surprised that it's still in business after the Steakhouse opened.

Bella Fresca is the best food in Shreveport. It's on Line Ave next to the old Fertita's (now called something like "The Bistro 6301") just North of Superior bar & Grill (which is just north of Superior's Steakhouse)

Isaac-Saxxon 03-24-2007 08:13 PM

The Village is next to Monjunis. Louisiana @ Stoner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
The Village is next to Monjunis. Louisiana @ Stoner. I love the food but am genuinely surprised that it's still in business after the Steakhouse opened.

Bella Fresca is the best food in Shreveport. It's on Line Ave next to the old Fertita's (now called something like "The Bistro 6301") just North of Superior bar & Grill (which is just north of Superior's Steakhouse)

I agree with the fact that the Steak House hurt them but they have seen many of the locals come back and like any other place they have their regulars and it is small. I am friends with the guys that own it and they say it has picked back up and running well. I do like the Steak house too.
Isaac

Isabella 03-24-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Great steaks, lobster, shrimp and lamb too. It cost about 50 - 60.00 a head and maybe more with adult beverage. I have been there many times and the dress code is in the upper end and service is great. Ask for Phillip he is one of the best. There is Joey, Brian many others. It is about a two hour meal and much fun and no kids. Oh it is located near I-20 and Stoner by the old Doctors Hospital.
Isaac

I would love to try it, but I have a son in a wheelchair that goes everywhere we go. Is Village accessible?

Isaac-Saxxon 03-25-2007 05:45 AM

I would think that all public businesses would be accesible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
I would love to try it, but I have a son in a wheelchair that goes everywhere we go. Is Village accessible?

It is all on one floor and yes I would think it is wheelchair accessible. I think you would need to call for reservations and you might ask Phillip. Great food and lots of good memories. :clap:
Isaac

lima4specter 11-29-2007 10:15 AM

old sansone's restaurant
 
does anyone know or remember where the old sansone's restaurant is/was? A group of us are trying to figure it out....Thanks.

joepole 11-29-2007 11:06 AM

Searching for the KEEL treasure?

Morpheus 11-29-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lima4specter (Post 25610)
does anyone know or remember where the old sansone's restaurant is/was? A group of us are trying to figure it out....Thanks.

youree and kings

Morpheus 11-29-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 25614)
Searching for the KEEL treasure?

where are the clues???

joepole 11-29-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

where are the clues???
Clues are here.

To answer the question, though, Sansone's was on the North side of E. Kings, East of Youree, next to Deli Casino. I'm not sure what is there now, some kind of lounge, I think.

joepole 11-29-2007 11:16 AM

The only public place those clues seem to lead to is the park next to A.C. Steere.

Morpheus 11-29-2007 11:51 AM

Thanks!

Pocahontas 11-29-2007 05:37 PM

Anybody remember Toudan's? It was where Imperial Cathay is now. It was kind of like TGI Fridays. Has anyone tried the new Friday's yet?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.7.2
Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
2008 Shreveport.com