View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #47
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 269 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>Other than that.. I do have a problem with these "absolute" rules. you're telling me.. for example, a straight A student. comes to school with an aspirin , they could get expelled.. I just don't see that being in the best interest of the student.

It's not in the best interest of the student, it's in the best interests of the students. Zero Tolerance policies are a good thing because they allow the administration to enforce rules without being charged with discriminating against any particular subset of the population.

Without such a policy when 90% of the students suspended for drug problems were of one particular race, the school would have no defense against charges of favoritism, leading to lack of enforcement, which is a detriment to the entire school. This girl is a casualty of an imperfect system that is better than any known alternative.
"A casualty of an imperfect system" I understand what you are saying.. but what about common sense ?

I don't see how comparing "Tyrone" and his joint to "Mary Beth" and her aspirin has to be the same thing.. Or Lemonjello's aspirin has to be the same thing as John's crack cocaine ?

I understand not wanting to be accused of favoritism.. but what's wrong with every instance being charged on its own merits ?

Is it just a casualty of political correctness that a joint is the same as an aspirin ?
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote