View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #35
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
You know we talked about fast food and waiters and waitress that only make $2.13 an hour because of tips. A tip is another name for gratiuty. Do you know what that means?

<gra·tu·i·ty /grəˈtuɪti, -ˈtyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gruh-too-i-tee, -tyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
2. something given without claim or demand. >

It's a gift, not everyone tips these days.

Also what I said about you being the reason that woman does what she does, I may have said that wrong. I know some people are kind hearted and when they try to help someone like a job, they tend to over look their sloppy work habits. It was really nothing against you.
You are right, I allow her to work, because she needs the income and no one else would put up with her. She is not very bright, but she is a good person. Since I have to hire someone else to come and do what she cannot do, there is no way I can pay her more. People like her will lose out with the increase in minimum wage. If you don't like what someone pays you then go find another job. No one forces you to work for lower wages. There are people in the work force who are uneducated and without skills that need jobs, but will not be hired if an employer cannot afford to hire them.

Your comment about waiters and waitresses, they should be paid minimum wage and not under. I don't see how employers got away with this over the years. It is not all black and white. There are a lot of grey areas. The private sector will be hurt by this increase. Many people will lose jobs.