View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #47
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>
All kids should get an A just for trying, huh?

No, nor should anyone ever consider a dictionary to be an aribter of language. Secondary sources such as dictionaries are recorders, and flawed ones at that.

Who cares what M-W thinks a word means?
Very good point. Trying to explain to someone what a "patriot" truly means.

Plenty of articles about. Plenty of quotes..

Quote:
mark twain
For in a Republic, who is "the country?" Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

edward abbey:
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Tom Paine:
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

E. M. Forster
If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
Then of course, there is what the "government" tells us , as to what patriotism should mean.

[/size]

Last edited by sbl_admin; 04-18-2007 at 09:32 PM.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote